T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was never really up on the Mod 1 till I looked at the posts.We are looking at the Viper ,idot,velocijet printers.I noticed 2 use the 4880 while the Mod 1 and Velocijet uses a smaller print engine.Other than print size,why use the smaller engine.What other differences can you point out.Thanks

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I was never really up on the Mod 1 till I looked at the posts.We are looking at the Viper ,idot,velocijet printers.I noticed 2 use the 4880 while the Mod 1 and Velocijet uses a smaller print engine.Other than print size,why use the smaller engine.What other differences can you point out.Thanks
1: The smaller print engines in general print about 20-25% faster then any 4800/4880 series print engine.

2: 90% of all jobs usually fall within the limits of a 13 inch wide print engine and can produce the same quality as the larger print engine does.

3: There are much less moving parts on the smaller print engine that can fail.

4: Depending on the design,... all the current 4800/4880 designs are limited (Including the Flexi-Jet) with respect to the print depth and require the operator to pay closer attention to how they tuck the garment around the platen to avoid getting moved or pinched during printing.

5: Did I mention slower?

6: Over all maintenance will be less in the long run since there are less moving parts that could fail.

7: The ink lines are generally shorter with the smaller print engines reducing pressure drops within the system.

8: Depending on the design of the 4800/4880 print platform the energy needed to move the platform/printer can become a safety hazard if not addressed.

9: The smaller print engines are lighter allowing greater portability.

10: Generally they are easier to work on due to its inherently straight forward design.

11: There are much less sensors on the smaller print engines that can fail or be falsely triggered if not addressed.

If you look around u-tube you will notice that there are not many live videos of 4800/4880 based printers showing continuous live production printing from "loading to unloading" especially on dark garments because of the extended printing times are not very productive compared to the smaller format printers regardless of how many platens can be printed at once.

But, if your business needs and requires images over 13" wide then a 4800/4880 based printer is a logical step, but take into account your production needs among other factors.

By the way this holds true for the Flexi-Jet printer putting it into the same class as the for-mentioned brands.. to be fair.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Bagged ink but slower? I keep hearing the 4880 platform is more stable and has a better output. I honestly don't know.
Yes, for sure bagged ink but the 4880 will be inherently slower even with mod like features.
As far as the platform stability is concerned there are far less components on the smaller format to be concerned with and the output is on par as long as it's driven correctly relating to both hardware and software.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Mark,do you have a demo in Clearwater.I live 50 miles from you.I would like to come down and see one.
Yes, we are now in located in St Petersburg Fl.

Please call us to make an appointment with Kevin,... and don,t forget to bring your most difficult image/s along with you.

Our info can be found on our web site under the "contact us" page.

Thanks

· Registered
539 Posts
I agree with Mark on a lot of what he said, but I also thinkl there are pros to the 4800/4880 (overall its 50:50).
But first I would say you can drive a desktop model at closer to twice the speed of a 4800/4880, although this does depend on the software, but its possible on the right machine and with the right software.

But the 4880 machine are better built, things like the capping station are much more robust and will last longer and look after the head better. The whole machine is built for a much greater print run and that is reflected throughout the hardware.
The encoder strip is set back and farther away and will pick up less ink mist.
Lots of little bits like this, but it also is a harder machine to turn into a DTG machine normally, as Mark said because of the extra sensors.

You have a lot more controls such as the abailty to adjust the feeding mechanism in the software.

I dont disagree with anything Mark said, just that I dont think its all benefits on the desktop machines. There are benefits to both.
I have seen well built machines on both platforms (and bad ones).

The best desktop platform was the 1800, but I also saw it turned into one of the worst machines ever built.

Best regards

-David

· Premium Member
614 Posts
But first I would say you can drive a desktop model at closer to twice the speed of a 4800/4880, although this does depend on the software, but its possible on the right machine and with the right software.
Yes, I originally posted 20-25% faster because I did not want to push it, but your right its' closer to 50% faster with the right configuration.

But the 4880 machine are better built, things like the capping station are much more robust and will last longer and look after the head better. The whole machine is built for a much greater print run and that is reflected throughout the hardware.
That depends on the modifications on the desktop.
Both capping stations use the same peristaltic pump mechanism (different configuration) and both have very similar life expectancy's.

The encoder strip is set back and farther away and will pick up less ink mist.
Yes, this is addressed on the mod1 by using a suction fan below the spit station that pulls ink away though the back of the machine.

You have a lot more controls such as the abailty to adjust the feeding mechanism in the software.
Since we have full control of the y-axis using our "soft sync' technology we have even more control then what the OEM control has.

I still like the 4800/4880 platforms but unless there is a reason to print over 13" wide.....it's just faster and easier on the smaller format.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.