T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to convert a Mod1 dtg printer to a dtf printer? Or do I just need to sell the Mod1? BTW, I am pretty disappointed the RG2 is no longer for sale. It came on the market and I was stoked,and was to expensive for me at the time, just when I thought I could trade in my Mod1 and upgrade to the RG2 Belquette merged and the RG2 went bye bye. So now I am looking into dtf.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think a lot has to do with your software, not the specific printer.

What would make a dtg printer want to convert to dtf? Sell transfers?
I am tired of all the maintenance on the Mod1. I am not interested in doing transfer for others but I prefer using the transfers over the dtg. The ink, supplies, and parts cost less. I am hearing it is more forgiving.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see how your cost for maintenance or printer parts would be different. No need for pretreat but a new need for adhesive crystals. My impression from another poster here on the subject was the ink was the same?
The DTF forums say that the machines cost much less. Less than 5K with ink or toner, transfer paper, powder and a dryer and rip software. They also say the inks tend to clog less.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Is there any way to convert a Mod1 dtg printer to a dtf printer?
It is already a DTF printer... Print the color, then print the white on top.
If you want to do both in one pass, that depends on the RIP you are using.

I am tired of all the maintenance on the Mod1
Desktop DTF printers are nearly impossible to maintain. You have no access to the printhead to begin with.

The ink, supplies, and parts cost less. I am hearing it is more forgiving.
It is more forgiving because you don't waste $5 shirts if something goes wrong half way through the print, but the consumables cost is similar, and sometimes higher than DTG
As an example, using DTG you can print a white shirt with 15 cents of ink and no pretreatment. You cannot do this with DTF.
That's $0.15 versus more than $1.00 and a lot more work for doing the same in DTF.
Multiply this by let's say 500 shirts per month and it's becoming $400 to $500.

The DTF forums say that the machines cost much less. Less than 5K with ink or toner, transfer paper, powder and a dryer and rip software. They also say the inks tend to clog less.
Of course they'll say this... especially those selling DTF printers and supplies.
The CMYK inks are the same. The difference is that in DTF white ink opacity is less important, so using even the crappiest Chinese white ink possible.
DTF can be cheaper and useful for some jobs. It's not a DTG replacement.

· Registered
12 Posts
Just like, "The repayment may be less than you think!" not a chance in hell. Tend to clog less, read what ppl are saying about this re-engineered lemons.

Save yourself some heartache and do your research.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts