T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As u can kinda see in the pic, I'm using ProChem DXP dual cure diazo pink emulsion with the diazo sensitizer. On the little SENSITIZER bottle it says, "Fill CONTAINER 3/4 full with distilled water. Shake until powder is dissolved. Mix thoroughly into 1 gallon of EMULSION and let stand for 2 hours."

Ok, by CONTAINER, does that mean the container itself? The diazo? And I mix all of the diazo and pour ALL of it into my WHOLE gallon of emulsion?

So everything is mixed together... How long will it last? (time I mean) Thanks peeps.

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Put water inside the small bottle 3/4 full, then shake the sh*t out of it. pour in big container and stir til the stuff inside the big container changes color completely. now let the big container sit for a couple hours to release any air bubbles. throw away small bottle.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok! Whew! That's what I thought. How long will the mixed emulsion last?

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
815 Posts
Shelf life is about six months, I always write the expiration date on the label when I mix it...
Never had a batch last that long? a good practice none the less!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I use this same emulsion and 3 months is a long time for it to last ..I had a quart last almost 4 months before but I had it in the fridge all the time...when you mix the sensitizer in to the emulsion ...write the date on the container so you know how long you have until it will not work anylonger....

Inked

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The CCI data sheets says:

Store the emulsion in a cool dry place. Unsensitized
emulsion has a shelf of 6 months when stored
appropriately. Sensitized emulsion will last up to 30
days with good results when stored correctly.
59° to 77° F (15° to 25° C)
30% to 50% relative humidity

Refrigeration
Diazo does not spoil like food, it begins to decay the minute you mix it with water. Water coats the diazo and slowly breaks it down. Mixing diazo into wet emulsion is like lighting a candle, it will slowly get used up over time. Refrigeration at 42°F does little to prevent the water from breaking down the diazo sensitizer.

Emulsion doesn't "go bad" like a vampire at sunrise, (UV humor), it begins to react differently to UV energy. If it took XX minutes before, it might take longer OR shorter to achieve the same cure after the 30 day expiration date. This is why manufacturers warn you to use in 4-6 weeks.

Yes, cold will slow almost any chemical reaction so low volume screen makers often see on the label of any emulsion that they store it in an area not to exceed 77°F - so they react by putting emulsion in the only cool place they have, the refrigerator - where at 42°F, it's 10°F from ice.

Old emulsion can always be used for mesh blockout or wood glue if you don't want keep measuring how long it takes to cure. Part of that measurement is IF the lamp is aging also.

As you're teaching yourself screen making - curiosity, experimentation and judgment are your new friends, because you're hand coating emulsion and using a DIY quartz halogen construction work light to expose your stencils.

Reactions: lar
1 - 9 of 9 Posts