T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 32 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
There is so much talk about a controller.
Is a controller absolute requiered?
When it comes done to build the base and convert the printer there is no need to buy any thing from Jeff because the videos are so much detailed that one can not fail following them.
Yes a commercial sold controller is 100% required for the new design shown in the videos.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Im sure it wont be long before a diy member posts on a basic arduino control system, that will a fantastic day! At that point there will be nothing left to profit on for the guys looking for basic control systems. you will see the biggest magic trick here ever, the disappearing act of those merely after personal gain! cant wait :)
Yes there will be.

The end user could care less if there is 1 limit switch or 2. They are looking for what the printer can do.

The print speed, print quality, 2 pass and end results will be the exact same on a 1 switch or 2 switch machine.

Many users and Spectra DIY shows that.

·
Registered
934 Posts
No a controller is not required, you would have to modify the base to accept friction drive like the old style Dozer.
But be clear and 100% honest.

To follow the base videos you uploaded and the instructions on the epson conversion video the person MUST have a controller that is sold for hundreds of dollars. The videos advise getting rid of the ASF assemble which is impossible without a controller and connecting a stepper motor.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Read my above reply about turning this into a negative thread! do yourself a favor as a fanboy and go ask the manufacturer there history and what printer they once sold/manufacturered... lets move along! If you are a moral soul you might change your opinions! :)

TRINAMIC:)

Jeff,

Your posts are clearly biased and your goal is obvious.

I've made no efforts to conceal my past. I post under the same username here and use my name all over OpenDTG.

Yes I was a reseller of a DTG printer manufactured by someone else and my company went bankrupt along with myself and that hurt customers. I spent the last 3 years evaluating what went wrong with the product, what went wrong that I did managing the company and how I can do better in the future. Along with that I've spent thousands of hours developing my own stuff so I'm not beholden to anyone else.

I think my conduct with OpenDTG speaks for itself. Everyone gets what they ordered, if they have product issues I've replaced the item and I'm very on top of giving support to not just my customers but also peoples customers.

I'm humble enough to admit where I went wrong and work diligently to make a better future.

If you truly left DTG then quit with this petty stuff that You, Jay, Tyler and Romeo are known for throughout the industry.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have no issue with anyone! If you recall, i even told you this on the phone!! ? what gives! i have not once mentioned you at all! even after being badgerered and prodded here! I simply listed options in my long tenured diy thread of options! Goals? only to offer open source solutions to the diy community, you are all about this right? not comprehending this convo very well, i guess!

Its clear to me now, you or certain people dont like this for some reason? I have zero interest in what anyone else is doing, i worry about myself! please guys dont worry about the options here, move along and do your thing!!! your making something out of something that never was... these are simply my preferences.. that simple :)
Then there is no issue.

But I will clarify and correct you, there is a true Open source available. OpenDTG posts 100% open source code for both our controllers and code compatible with a stock Arduino Uno.

We also welcome talk and discussion of other controllers like UFO and T-dozer. I will even order one of those controllers from Digikey to evaluate.

To say Arduino isn't suited for DIY DTG controllers also contradicts yourself years ago when under the Spectra DIY you said you sold thousands of DIY controllers and those were all Arduino based shields. Or did you recall and refund those since you think Atmel / Arduino isn't good enough?

You might also want to check with GB DTG to make sure that controller you recommend is a Microchip, for a while that same controller had the Atmel chip for Arduino code.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Look at my above post! i said we made the arduino based avenger shield first! please read! Further more we made it a direct plug in too the arduino board (shield) this in all honesty fits the "open source realm" much better than separate proprietary built platform style boards!

without going into specific detail why i don't like atmel/arduino for dtg there are reasons,many! but that's my preference/experience as i said! additionally, these same reasons why most use other platforms other than arduino well known for learning micro controllers on a hobby level. ! the Trinamic offers all of that one needs in a high quality system at 32 bits and cheaply, built by a major manufacturer! that's all! :) again please read that above post! below is the shield in case you forgot:) .. i hope this thread can get back on topic and away from proprietary built boards that are profit based/built controllers!
Ok I looked over the data sheet on the steprocker and it is intriguing.

Where are the open source design files for the board, I can't find them?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Had a few PM,s suggesting use of existing arduino motor shields! Didn't put much thought into that...but yeah ...:) That is another option and interesting approach.. links below ..one with instruction on the tb6600 driver (Toshiba tb6600)

There are people selling all in one "Arduino" boards for dtg controllers @ super high markup pricing! you can have the same setup easily by having the separate components Arduino/toshiba tb6600 driver! parts are listed in the previous links! Find the pinout on those expensive boards that are open source and combine your own for a fraction of the cost! code is free apparently? well under 100 dollars with these components separately and your own wiring! :)

This is a very cost effective method for those looking to diy the control system! Additionally with the components separate easy to replace or repair! you will need a 12volt power supply which is easier than pulling from the epson power supply (just power of the same connection) Cant wait to see what folks come up with on this! :)

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3

Monster Motor Controller Shield For Arduino (14A, 5.5-16V) - RobotShop

Toshiba TB6600HG | ZYLtech Engineering LLC - Zyltech Engineering LLC | Affordable 3D printer, laser engraver and CNC hardware and accessories

vid on the toshiba tb6600 https://youtu.be/JjbCv3EOp7M

You are correct it's very affordable and easy to piece together the control system with off the shelf Arduino Uno, Power supply, and a TB6600 motor driver. It achieves exactly what the All in one boards do with a little effort.

OpenDTG.com has all of this information to build a system without using a custom proprietary board.

Here is connecting an Arduino to the epson by soldering: Arduino Setup and Connecting to Epson printer - Open DTG - Build your own Direct to Garment Printer

Wiring stepper motor driver: Wiring stepper motor driver and power supply with Arduino - Open DTG - Build your own Direct to Garment Printer

(These link require a free signup to see the attachments)

The pinout for OpenDTG Arduino code is:

#define encoderA 3 // Encoder input from epson printer
#define encoderB 2 // Encoder input from epson printer

#define inBtn 4 // Momentary push button to send the Platen to the Back / Home position - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground
#define outBtn 5 // Momentary push button to eject the platen to the front position - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground
#define passBtn 6 // Automatic 2 pass Rocker style switch - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground

#define peSignal 16 // Write HIGH or LOW - Hardware limits voltage output to 3v to protect Epson

#define backStop 7 // Back or Home position. This is the rear limit switch used to stop the platen at the back of your machine.

#define asfSignal 17 // Sends HIGH or LOW to Epson to similate ASF sensor. Hardware limits voltage to 3v to protect Epson
#define MotorSen1 18 // Used to sense when the ASF motor is moving via an component on the board.
#define MotorSen2 15 // Used to sense when the ASF motor is moving via an component on the board.

#define powerLED 19

//Setup for TB6600 Stepper Driver
#define motorEnable 14 // Not used yet: Some motor drivers require a HIGH signal to enable.
#define motorDirection 8 // Wire to motor driver direction pin
#define motorStep 9 // Wire to motor driver Step / Pulse pin

#define motorM1 11 // M1, M2, M3 set the microstepping of the driver
#define motorM2 12
#define motorM3 13

#define motorReset 10
#define motorTQ 15

You are correct we don't give out the full design files on hardware at OpenDTG.com but I also make sure that the code is compatible with off the shelf components so there is NO lock in to buy our boards. 99% of people wouldn't have a use for the design files.

Members also have access to DXF files to cut their own base parts. Some people have CNC machines but others have used laser cutters and plastic.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There are people selling all in one "Arduino" boards for dtg controllers @ super high markup pricing!
$300 for an All in One board, open source code and build support is actually cheap. The build support alone is worth more than the $300.

I'd sell them cheaper if so much support time wasn't required.

You know that, You and Tyler sold $799 closed source boards.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have not had a chance to read thru what you posted regarding "the free instruction with separate parts" However if it was intended to be truly free this is exactly where it should be posted on the diy dtg site of TSF or the like github etc. etc. especially arduino based platforms,(kinda goes hand in hand) It seems something that has a free lure always has a monetized link involved with many sites.

Regardless its good to see (if the info is valid and complete) this being posted for free ("if truly being marketed as "open source") In reality it should include the design files for the all in one, that would prove its not a monetize lure site!

That said kudos for posting free info. I suggest you open a thread to help others HERE with your free info on the arduino control systems that doesn't require a private sign in to a private site.. just a suggestion! Keep up the good work on getting free arduino control systems out for dtg! its cool stuff ;) Maybe compile the free info and post it to a thread, good way of giving back! ;)
Before I started the website I asked admin here is I could post full code and they gave me a maybe but they'd have to see it all posted first. I wasn't going to risk all of that time.

I then went to github.com and maybe I'm dumb but it didn't seem to be conducive to a large project that needs videos and tutorials along with conversation.

I think you've got the wrong impression of what I'm doing. The membership fee was instituted 6 months into getting going because without funding development was going to stop. I couldn't continue footing the bill.

Anything being sold is significantly cheaper than other options and priced for a minimal profit once development costs are figured in. If demand increases and I can mass produce the savings will be passed on.

I don't give the board design because it's not worth it to the 1 board DIY guy to have boards made and ship in all of the parts. So in the end it would only help resellers and they can pay for their own R&D instead of getting it free off of me.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I suggest you open a thread to help others HERE with your free info on the arduino control systems that doesn't require a private sign in to a private site.. just a suggestion! Keep up the good work on getting free arduino control systems out for dtg! its cool stuff ;) Maybe compile the free info and post it to a thread, good way of giving back! ;)
I have no problem with posting some stuff.

The hardest part is keeping it moving forward if it's 100% free. I just don't have extra cash to develop stuff. I feel people benefiting should kick in on it. Very few did when it was voluntary.

Then you have people that use the open source code to develop add ons and they won't share them, they want to sell them or keep for their own use because they spent "20" hard hours to develop it. LOL

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think TSF would have no issue and certainly not git hub either. You are giving free stuff out=no issue (this is the diy section!) Open source is open source including the board design... maybe rethink how you advertise or rename it..if you don't want to open source it all, just a suggestion. Again kudos for posting free info...I hope you continue to post here in the diy section on this system! It would help alot of people of the past and future builders! :)
I guess I look at it different...

Full source code is available along with full information to run a DIY DTG with off the shelf components.

That's pretty open source.

If I would've open sourced all the hardware designs the project wouldn't have progressed and most of the hardware wouldn't even exist.

You have to strike the balance between the 100% free dream and actually being able to develop something worth having.

·
Registered
934 Posts
All true!! I have traveled that same road! Sooner or later you will realize to combat those issues make it truly free here and everywhere (if its not about profit gain) ! everyone and there brother will be doing it and it will take the margins out.. I had the same issues people profiting off a lot of hard work they didn't do..many people.. its easier pitting thousands against each other and you have fun in the meantime giving something back... this goes way deeper than you think (you are not the primary reason/target regarding me putting this info out, but keep showing up for some reason) :)
Do tell, at least privately... I don't know of any other Open Source Arduino diy dtg stuff that your comments could be aimed at. LOL

21 - 32 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.