T-Shirt Forums banner
4,841 - 4,860 of 4,866 Posts
tip #5 Belt and pulley I used a 14 or 16 tooth mxl type with belt! in volume you will need to have these custom made to fit the 5mm stepper shaft bore size (many suppliers on ebay contact them direct for the custom pulley)! It gives you a perfect match 1 to 1 with the proper step setting on the driver! easy to configure! you can experiment with other pulleys and math correction if you want but this method is simple! Additionally that can be substituted for a gt series belt/pulley match! If you need cad drawing for the pulleys they can be found here/ if having custom made you will just need to change the bore size to the shaft size of the stepper motor :) https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/?ci... mm (MXL);a6:2:14.0&sort=undefined&view=table

Tip #7
I had several pm suggesting i list some of these components.. (there you go) many said they could configure on there own breadboard/ generic layout to experiment! please share your results with the community until the shield is developed!

Tip #8 have a look at some of the premade boards for a road map also! (original shield/competitor products you can see the configuration resistor values simply by blowing of the pic from images) I will eventually add some debugging tips regarding the code and some trial error stuff i went thru! and eventually pic chip code you can experiment with also!!! more to come, all for now :)

Tip #9 the pot on the shield is the same on the driver you can adjust this to fine tune the drive or substitute a resistor value!
Tip #10- (12 )volt power supply! Its all about finesse with these printers!
Tip # 11 all the components used on the original shield and the proprietary board were the same with exception of the actual chip ic obviously the shield was the arduino due and the proprietary board used microchip!! more later! :)

Thank you German for your time and posting those tips. Need to find tip 1,2,3 and I am ready to go :D
Just kidding. Need to check if this is bullet proof for noobs. Kinda suspect it isn't. Don't won't to bother my old man,he is good with electricity and stuff.

Anyway thank you for help. There should be one topic with all use full stuff on the same spot.Like sticky :D Now I'm in the process of starting to read 300 pages. -.-

Base/aluminum extrusion resources /Wheels pulleys/ OpenBuilds Part Store
80/20 Extrusion https://www.8020.net/
Igus linear rails igus® DryLin® T - Low-profile guide

Extrusion base width = 24 inches (A3 printer width, which is not critical, can be wider +/_ center rail on my original base was 38 inches (for 18 inch platen configuration) this can also be modified to your liking! All extrusion i used was 80/20 brand! Original linear rails/wheels/drive pulley where open builds link above. can be found alibaba/ebay in bulk for cheap!

You can substitute open builds linear rail/wheels for the IGUS ..link above.

Phase 2 after this project i plan on adding design files for cnc etc. etc.

Regarding the PM questions, please read thru some of the components listing i already put up, this will give a brief description on operation! Its quite simple you are taking the encoder A/B ground signals from the encoder senor and using them for step and direction at the driver...this moves the stepper motor! Resistor values on some of the boards, yes some of those are used inline for noise/filtering.

There are many that have skills to easily breadboard/hard wire the project (some of these guys are dtg builders and don't post publicly) List pictures of your progress etc here and im sure some these guys will reply via pm!! There is already free code on other sites and other builders (not sure for how long now that im making the board freesource info, but its there)

Other questions about crowdfunding and mass producing this cheap! Yes that's a possibility! Currently im looking for a volunteer on the board level if we cant get that we will go the other route! This board in volume should be able to be had for about 30 depending on volume#s! This is the last step to truly making the dtg control ardunio based completely free source/ open source! These designs on the board/shield will be public/free as well once they are done, so anyone can build from scratch if they want. This will evolve slowly into completely free control!!! dtgs everywhere :) I cant be here everyday but as time permits! happy building!

Had a few PM,s suggesting use of existing arduino motor shields! Didn't put much thought into that...but yeah ...:) That is another option and interesting approach.. links below ..one with instruction on the tb6600 driver (Toshiba tb6600)

There are people selling all in one "Arduino" boards for dtg controllers @ super high markup pricing! you can have the same setup easily by having the separate components Arduino/toshiba tb6600 driver! parts are listed in the previous links! Find the pinout on those expensive boards that are open source and combine your own for a fraction of the cost! code is free apparently? well under 100 dollars with these components separately and your own wiring! :)

This is a very cost effective method for those looking to diy the control system! Additionally with the components separate easy to replace or repair! you will need a 12volt power supply which is easier than pulling from the epson power supply (just power of the same connection) Cant wait to see what folks come up with on this! :)

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3

Monster Motor Controller Shield For Arduino (14A, 5.5-16V) - RobotShop

Toshiba TB6600HG | ZYLtech Engineering LLC - Zyltech Engineering LLC | Affordable 3D printer, laser engraver and CNC hardware and accessories

vid on the toshiba tb6600 https://youtu.be/JjbCv3EOp7M

Had a few PM,s suggesting use of existing arduino motor shields! Didn't put much thought into that...but yeah ...:) That is another option and interesting approach.. links below ..one with instruction on the tb6600 driver (Toshiba tb6600)

There are people selling all in one "Arduino" boards for dtg controllers @ super high markup pricing! you can have the same setup easily by having the separate components Arduino/toshiba tb6600 driver! parts are listed in the previous links! Find the pinout on those expensive boards that are open source and combine your own for a fraction of the cost! code is free apparently? well under 100 dollars with these components separately and your own wiring! :)

This is a very cost effective method for those looking to diy the control system! Additionally with the components separate easy to replace or repair! you will need a 12volt power supply which is easier than pulling from the epson power supply (just power of the same connection) Cant wait to see what folks come up with on this! :)

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3

Monster Motor Controller Shield For Arduino (14A, 5.5-16V) - RobotShop

Toshiba TB6600HG | ZYLtech Engineering LLC - Zyltech Engineering LLC | Affordable 3D printer, laser engraver and CNC hardware and accessories

vid on the toshiba tb6600 https://youtu.be/JjbCv3EOp7M

You are correct it's very affordable and easy to piece together the control system with off the shelf Arduino Uno, Power supply, and a TB6600 motor driver. It achieves exactly what the All in one boards do with a little effort.

OpenDTG.com has all of this information to build a system without using a custom proprietary board.

Here is connecting an Arduino to the epson by soldering: Arduino Setup and Connecting to Epson printer - Open DTG - Build your own Direct to Garment Printer

Wiring stepper motor driver: Wiring stepper motor driver and power supply with Arduino - Open DTG - Build your own Direct to Garment Printer

(These link require a free signup to see the attachments)

The pinout for OpenDTG Arduino code is:

#define encoderA 3 // Encoder input from epson printer
#define encoderB 2 // Encoder input from epson printer

#define inBtn 4 // Momentary push button to send the Platen to the Back / Home position - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground
#define outBtn 5 // Momentary push button to eject the platen to the front position - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground
#define passBtn 6 // Automatic 2 pass Rocker style switch - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground

#define peSignal 16 // Write HIGH or LOW - Hardware limits voltage output to 3v to protect Epson

#define backStop 7 // Back or Home position. This is the rear limit switch used to stop the platen at the back of your machine.

#define asfSignal 17 // Sends HIGH or LOW to Epson to similate ASF sensor. Hardware limits voltage to 3v to protect Epson
#define MotorSen1 18 // Used to sense when the ASF motor is moving via an component on the board.
#define MotorSen2 15 // Used to sense when the ASF motor is moving via an component on the board.

#define powerLED 19

//Setup for TB6600 Stepper Driver
#define motorEnable 14 // Not used yet: Some motor drivers require a HIGH signal to enable.
#define motorDirection 8 // Wire to motor driver direction pin
#define motorStep 9 // Wire to motor driver Step / Pulse pin

#define motorM1 11 // M1, M2, M3 set the microstepping of the driver
#define motorM2 12
#define motorM3 13

#define motorReset 10
#define motorTQ 15

You are correct we don't give out the full design files on hardware at OpenDTG.com but I also make sure that the code is compatible with off the shelf components so there is NO lock in to buy our boards. 99% of people wouldn't have a use for the design files.

Members also have access to DXF files to cut their own base parts. Some people have CNC machines but others have used laser cutters and plastic.

There are people selling all in one "Arduino" boards for dtg controllers @ super high markup pricing!
$300 for an All in One board, open source code and build support is actually cheap. The build support alone is worth more than the $300.

I'd sell them cheaper if so much support time wasn't required.

You know that, You and Tyler sold $799 closed source boards.

You are correct it's very affordable and easy to piece together the control system with off the shelf Arduino Uno, Power supply, and a TB6600 motor driver. It achieves exactly what the All in one boards do with a little effort.

OpenDTG.com has all of this information to build a system without using a custom proprietary board.

Here is connecting an Arduino to the epson by soldering: Arduino Setup and Connecting to Epson printer - Open DTG - Build your own Direct to Garment Printer

Wiring stepper motor driver: Wiring stepper motor driver and power supply with Arduino - Open DTG - Build your own Direct to Garment Printer

(These link require a free signup to see the attachments)

The pinout for OpenDTG Arduino code is:

#define encoderA 3 // Encoder input from epson printer
#define encoderB 2 // Encoder input from epson printer

#define inBtn 4 // Momentary push button to send the Platen to the Back / Home position - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground
#define outBtn 5 // Momentary push button to eject the platen to the front position - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground
#define passBtn 6 // Automatic 2 pass Rocker style switch - Other switch wire goes to Arduino Ground

#define peSignal 16 // Write HIGH or LOW - Hardware limits voltage output to 3v to protect Epson

#define backStop 7 // Back or Home position. This is the rear limit switch used to stop the platen at the back of your machine.

#define asfSignal 17 // Sends HIGH or LOW to Epson to similate ASF sensor. Hardware limits voltage to 3v to protect Epson
#define MotorSen1 18 // Used to sense when the ASF motor is moving via an component on the board.
#define MotorSen2 15 // Used to sense when the ASF motor is moving via an component on the board.

#define powerLED 19

//Setup for TB6600 Stepper Driver
#define motorEnable 14 // Not used yet: Some motor drivers require a HIGH signal to enable.
#define motorDirection 8 // Wire to motor driver direction pin
#define motorStep 9 // Wire to motor driver Step / Pulse pin

#define motorM1 11 // M1, M2, M3 set the microstepping of the driver
#define motorM2 12
#define motorM3 13

#define motorReset 10
#define motorTQ 15

You are correct we don't give out the full design files on hardware at OpenDTG.com but I also make sure that the code is compatible with off the shelf components so there is NO lock in to buy our boards. 99% of people wouldn't have a use for the design files.

Members also have access to DXF files to cut their own base parts. Some people have CNC machines but others have used laser cutters and plastic.
I have not had a chance to read thru what you posted regarding "the free instruction with separate parts" However if it was intended to be truly free this is exactly where it should be posted on the diy dtg site of TSF or the like github etc. etc. especially arduino based platforms,(kinda goes hand in hand) It seems something that has a free lure always has a monetized link involved with many sites.

Regardless its good to see (if the info is valid and complete) this being posted for free ("if truly being marketed as "open source") In reality it should include the design files for the all in one, that would prove its not a monetize lure site!

That said kudos for posting free info. I suggest you open a thread to help others HERE with your free info on the arduino control systems that doesn't require a private sign in to a private site.. just a suggestion! Keep up the good work on getting free arduino control systems out for dtg! its cool stuff ;) Maybe compile the free info and post it to a thread, good way of giving back! ;)

$300 for an All in One board, open source code and build support is actually cheap. The build support alone is worth more than the $300.

I'd sell them cheaper if so much support time wasn't required.

You know that, You and Tyler sold $799 closed source boards.
I don't think it was ever advertised as open source/free source! Additionally it was not arduino based! (microchip) Im sure if you posted the info here the TSF members would build there own support network! Or truly give the board design/instruction/code and charge for support only! i understand you cant give support free! you can charge for that! but if your advertising open source boards are included in that right?

I have not had a chance to read thru what you posted regarding "the free instruction with separate parts" However if it was intended to be truly free this is exactly where it should be posted on the diy dtg site of TSF or the like github etc. etc. especially arduino based platforms,(kinda goes hand in hand) It seems something that has a free lure always has a monetized link involved with many sites.

Regardless its good to see (if the info is valid and complete) this being posted for free ("if truly being marketed as "open source") In reality it should include the design files for the all in one, that would prove its not a monetize lure site!

That said kudos for posting free info. I suggest you open a thread to help others HERE with your free info on the arduino control systems that doesn't require a private sign in to a private site.. just a suggestion! Keep up the good work on getting free arduino control systems out for dtg! its cool stuff ;) Maybe compile the free info and post it to a thread, good way of giving back! ;)
Before I started the website I asked admin here is I could post full code and they gave me a maybe but they'd have to see it all posted first. I wasn't going to risk all of that time.

I then went to github.com and maybe I'm dumb but it didn't seem to be conducive to a large project that needs videos and tutorials along with conversation.

I think you've got the wrong impression of what I'm doing. The membership fee was instituted 6 months into getting going because without funding development was going to stop. I couldn't continue footing the bill.

Anything being sold is significantly cheaper than other options and priced for a minimal profit once development costs are figured in. If demand increases and I can mass produce the savings will be passed on.

I don't give the board design because it's not worth it to the 1 board DIY guy to have boards made and ship in all of the parts. So in the end it would only help resellers and they can pay for their own R&D instead of getting it free off of me.

Before I started the website I asked admin here is I could post full code and they gave me a maybe but they'd have to see it all posted first. I wasn't going to risk all of that time.

I then went to github.com and maybe I'm dumb but it didn't seem to be conducive to a large project that needs videos and tutorials along with conversation.

I think you've got the wrong impression of what I'm doing. The membership fee was instituted 6 months into getting going because without funding development was going to stop. I couldn't continue footing the bill.

Anything being sold is significantly cheaper than other options and priced for a minimal profit once development costs are figured in. If demand increases and I can mass produce the savings will be passed on.

I don't give the board design because it's not worth it to the 1 board DIY guy to have boards made and ship in all of the parts. So in the end it would only help resellers and they can pay for their own R&D instead of getting it free off of me.
I think TSF would have no issue and certainly not git hub either. You are giving free stuff out=no issue (this is the diy section!) Open source is open source including the board design... maybe rethink how you advertise or rename it..if you don't want to open source it all, just a suggestion. Again kudos for posting free info...I hope you continue to post here in the diy section on this system! It would help alot of people of the past and future builders! :)

I suggest you open a thread to help others HERE with your free info on the arduino control systems that doesn't require a private sign in to a private site.. just a suggestion! Keep up the good work on getting free arduino control systems out for dtg! its cool stuff ;) Maybe compile the free info and post it to a thread, good way of giving back! ;)
I have no problem with posting some stuff.

The hardest part is keeping it moving forward if it's 100% free. I just don't have extra cash to develop stuff. I feel people benefiting should kick in on it. Very few did when it was voluntary.

Then you have people that use the open source code to develop add ons and they won't share them, they want to sell them or keep for their own use because they spent "20" hard hours to develop it. LOL

I think TSF would have no issue and certainly not git hub either. You are giving free stuff out=no issue (this is the diy section!) Open source is open source including the board design... maybe rethink how you advertise or rename it..if you don't want to open source it all, just a suggestion. Again kudos for posting free info...I hope you continue to post here in the diy section on this system! It would help alot of people of the past and future builders! :)
I guess I look at it different...

Full source code is available along with full information to run a DIY DTG with off the shelf components.

That's pretty open source.

If I would've open sourced all the hardware designs the project wouldn't have progressed and most of the hardware wouldn't even exist.

You have to strike the balance between the 100% free dream and actually being able to develop something worth having.

I have no problem with posting some stuff.

The hardest part is keeping it moving forward if it's 100% free. I just don't have extra cash to develop stuff. I feel people benefiting should kick in on it. Very few did when it was voluntary.

Then you have people that use the open source code to develop add ons and they won't share them, they want to sell them or keep for their own use because they spent "20" hard hours to develop it. LOL
All true!! I have traveled that same road! Sooner or later you will realize to combat those issues make it truly free here and everywhere (if its not about profit gain) ! everyone and there brother will be doing it and it will take the margins out.. I had the same issues people profiting off a lot of hard work they didn't do..many people.. its easier pitting thousands against each other and you have fun in the meantime giving something back... this goes way deeper than you think (you are not the primary reason regarding me putting this info out, but keep showing up for some reason) :)

4,841 - 4,860 of 4,866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.