T-Shirt Forums banner
4,821 - 4,840 of 4,866 Posts
I know for fact what sold to commercial 3rd parties and the diy crowd, (when i was there) ! the commercial was 100 fold compared to the diy! but like i said i left over a year ago! so i have no idea who this is being sold to commercially these days! :) you are starting to sound bias ....to certain places, i have posted many options no bias here... :)
-----------------

If you're not bias then why didn't you mention OpenDTG?

If you haven't heard of OpenDTG then your truly out of the loop.

FYI, looks like Spectra DTG is also out of business.

-----------------

If you're not bias then why didn't you mention OpenDTG?

If you haven't heard of OpenDTG then your truly out of the loop.

FYI, looks like Spectra DTG is also out of business.
Read my above reply about turning this into a negative thread! do yourself a favor as a fanboy and go ask the manufacturer there history and what printer they once sold/manufacturered... lets move along! If you are a moral soul you might change your opinions! :)

TRINAMIC:)

Answer the question: Are you bias against OpenDTG?

OpenDTG.com ;)
I did several times! If you dont know the history, you sir are out of the loop! i simply have my preferences as do you! difference is i listed several, know the history, and im not biased! go find out the history please! :) Sounds like someones upset very good inexpensive options are being posted,hmmm .. starting to wonder the affiliation with all this resistance of multiple options! :)

TRINAMIC! :)

I know the history all too well.

I'm not biased against any DIY DTG solutions. TRINAMIC, OpenDTG, Arduino, and other DIY DTG solutions

So answer the question: Are you bias against OpenDTG.com?
Again.. i did! i listed my preferences! :) If you know the history what printer did they manufacturer? Say it! Say it out loud? your a moral guy it looks like from the beginning of the conversation, but its taking a turn:) say it! :)

Read my above reply about turning this into a negative thread! do yourself a favor as a fanboy and go ask the manufacturer there history and what printer they once sold/manufacturered... lets move along! If you are a moral soul you might change your opinions! :)

TRINAMIC:)

Jeff,

Your posts are clearly biased and your goal is obvious.

I've made no efforts to conceal my past. I post under the same username here and use my name all over OpenDTG.

Yes I was a reseller of a DTG printer manufactured by someone else and my company went bankrupt along with myself and that hurt customers. I spent the last 3 years evaluating what went wrong with the product, what went wrong that I did managing the company and how I can do better in the future. Along with that I've spent thousands of hours developing my own stuff so I'm not beholden to anyone else.

I think my conduct with OpenDTG speaks for itself. Everyone gets what they ordered, if they have product issues I've replaced the item and I'm very on top of giving support to not just my customers but also peoples customers.

I'm humble enough to admit where I went wrong and work diligently to make a better future.

If you truly left DTG then quit with this petty stuff that You, Jay, Tyler and Romeo are known for throughout the industry.

Jeff,

I've made no efforts to conceal my past. I post under the same username here and use my name all over OpenDTG.

Yes I was a reseller of a DTG printer manufactured by someone else and my company went bankrupt along with myself and that hurt customers. I spent the last 3 years evaluating what went wrong with the product, what went wrong that I did managing the company and how I can do better in the future. Along with that I've spent thousands of hours developing my own stuff so I'm not beholden to anyone else.

I think my conduct with OpenDTG speaks for itself. Everyone gets what they ordered, if they have product issues I've replaced the item and I'm very on top of giving support to not just my customers but also peoples customers.

I'm humble enough to admit where I went wrong and work diligently to make a better future.

If you truly left DTG then quit with this petty stuff that You, Jay, Tyler and Romeo are known for throughout the industry.
I have no issue with anyone! If you recall, i even told you this on the phone!! ? what gives! i have not once mentioned you at all! even after being badgerered and prodded here! I simply listed options in my long tenured diy thread of options! Goals? only to offer open source solutions to the diy community, you are all about this right? not comprehending this convo very well, i guess!

Its clear to me now, you or certain people dont like this for some reason? I have zero interest in what anyone else is doing, i worry about myself! please guys dont worry about the options here, move along and do your thing!!! your making something out of something that never was... these are simply my preferences.. that simple :)

Jeff,

Andy,
I'm truly surprised at your reaction here as im thinking this thru, it comes out of left field!

Im guessing you think this will affect sales for you or im trying to affect your sales! which is ludicris!

Think about that for one second, if that was my intention i would simply make public designs for the ardunio shield, remember we did this first with the avenger shield? profits on that would be done overnight and that would be easy!

So obviously you are misinterpreting my post! Im truly making public a great open source high qaulity platform with simple commands to build on with the Trinamic and similar type solutions! so please reevaluate and think out your reactions before responding! this is silly :)

I have no issue with anyone! If you recall, i even told you this on the phone!! ? what gives! i have not once mentioned you at all! even after being badgerered and prodded here! I simply listed options in my long tenured diy thread of options! Goals? only to offer open source solutions to the diy community, you are all about this right? not comprehending this convo very well, i guess!

Its clear to me now, you or certain people dont like this for some reason? I have zero interest in what anyone else is doing, i worry about myself! please guys dont worry about the options here, move along and do your thing!!! your making something out of something that never was... these are simply my preferences.. that simple :)
Then there is no issue.

But I will clarify and correct you, there is a true Open source available. OpenDTG posts 100% open source code for both our controllers and code compatible with a stock Arduino Uno.

We also welcome talk and discussion of other controllers like UFO and T-dozer. I will even order one of those controllers from Digikey to evaluate.

To say Arduino isn't suited for DIY DTG controllers also contradicts yourself years ago when under the Spectra DIY you said you sold thousands of DIY controllers and those were all Arduino based shields. Or did you recall and refund those since you think Atmel / Arduino isn't good enough?

You might also want to check with GB DTG to make sure that controller you recommend is a Microchip, for a while that same controller had the Atmel chip for Arduino code.

Then there is no issue.

But I will clarify and correct you, there is a true Open source available. OpenDTG posts 100% open source code for both our controllers and code compatible with a stock Arduino Uno.

We also welcome talk and discussion of other controllers like UFO and T-dozer. I will even order one of those controllers from Digikey to evaluate.

To say Arduino isn't suited for DIY DTG controllers also contradicts yourself years ago when under the Spectra DIY you said you sold thousands of DIY controllers and those were all Arduino based shields. Or did you recall and refund those since you think Atmel / Arduino isn't good enough?

You might also want to check with GB DTG to make sure that controller you recommend is a Microchip, for a while that same controller had the Atmel chip for Arduino code.
Look at my above post! i said we made the arduino based avenger shield first! please read! Further more we made it a direct plug in too the arduino board (shield) this in all honesty fits the "open source realm" much better than separate proprietary built platform style boards! I hope you and others will go look at the videos of the arduino shield in action and listen to its operation==smooth as glass, which proves there is way more that goes into these dtg controllers than one suspects (even for the basic operation) ... that said its easier to get this smooth finesse low noise/resonance operation using other chip/platform applications for dtg, especially for advanced control reading incoming logic, making math corrections for a perfect encoder match with no missed counts.. not an adjust the number programming style:)

without going into specific detail why i don't like atmel/arduino for dtg there are reasons,many! but that's my preference/experience as i said! additionally, these same reasons why most use other platforms other than arduino well known for learning micro controllers on a hobby level. ! the Trinamic offers all of that one needs in a high quality system at 32 bits and cheaply, built by a major manufacturer! that's all! :) again please read that above post! below is the shield in case you forgot:) .. i hope this thread can get back on topic and away from proprietary built boards that are profit based/built controllers!

Attachments

Look at my above post! i said we made the arduino based avenger shield first! please read! Further more we made it a direct plug in too the arduino board (shield) this in all honesty fits the "open source realm" much better than separate proprietary built platform style boards!

without going into specific detail why i don't like atmel/arduino for dtg there are reasons,many! but that's my preference/experience as i said! additionally, these same reasons why most use other platforms other than arduino well known for learning micro controllers on a hobby level. ! the Trinamic offers all of that one needs in a high quality system at 32 bits and cheaply, built by a major manufacturer! that's all! :) again please read that above post! below is the shield in case you forgot:) .. i hope this thread can get back on topic and away from proprietary built boards that are profit based/built controllers!
Ok I looked over the data sheet on the steprocker and it is intriguing.

Where are the open source design files for the board, I can't find them?

Ok I looked over the data sheet on the steprocker and it is intriguing.

Where are the open source design files for the board, I can't find them?

Trinamic is a very good company !!

This is the future for diy/dtg IMHO. In fact will probably out perform most current epson based high end commercial models! most of the code currently is generated at 3d printers and cnc, if you surf around! but take a look at their command platform language super easy... rotate left rotate right. go to limit, read encoder etc etc. there are many diy builders already running this system quietly behind the scenes and i know most hope this doesn't become main stream with there own printing/biz profits in mind! ... I found most successful dtg printers go to great lengths to keep there equipment/biz models private, especially the successful diy based equipt! I see and understand why, they get into multiple equipment/printers cheaply and allows them to be production competitive on a big level. I know its asking alot, but hopefully they will come forward and share there stuff as this grows.. anywho.. but, as you see simple programming language with add on axis possibilities etc.. now you see where im going with this.. its good stuff and cheap!! :) the files for the board are out there too.. try git hub etc.. but at under 100 why would you want to make boards?? :) (edit added link below)

One of the reasons i moved on from the electronics involvement with dtg, was when i was introduced to stuff like this (Trinamic), you simply can not produce or compete in quality with a major manufacturer on this level, like trying to compete with Microsoft or Apple, its crazy to think you could! your better off being a dealer for trinamic but what margins are you looking at? 20 to 30 ea. maybe! the future is grim for just the electronics, you need to be a full service builder... putting your faith in an outside sales/reseller is to risky, especially with growing competition that's cheaper! IMHO! don't get caught in that trap... money makes people do crazy things like trying to circumvent you if they can! or if one of these other manufacturers that hold the key to the ardunio get upset and truly make it public source? just trying to open your eyes to a very real reality possibilities here.. but usually what happens in these cases is they are no longer properly managed with a product they know little about, and crash and burn to the ground! it happens ;)
so some sound advice to you, (i did what your doing now 4 years ago when it was a much much bigger platform, i know this from paving the path- im still pulling arrows out of my back :))----> keep it small and yourself in control, manufacture in house a complete unit for diversity if you plan on staying in dtg on a epson modified platform....

https://aisler.net/trinamic

I decided i will also be adding some tips and tricks for those that like to experiment with the arduino controls! Eventually i would like to put the board design up of an arduino shield with components etc. The original shield had a lot of hard wires and a separate power supply... I would like to simplify this to use a few flat cables and the epson power supply direct! (this board should be able to be had for around $30 if done in volume cheaper) all in time we should be able to make the arduino stuff a true open source application when you can have your own board produced cheaply!

TIPS!!!!! 1. for those already playing with this stuff!! On the p600 with new firmware you can use a resistor value on the pw sensor direct to pin the voltage around 2.7- 2.9 to avoid the 0-73 errors!

TIPS!!!! 2. ASF CONVERSION! (arduino/micro controller operation) to remove the asf operation completely you will need to send a constant approx 50ms pulse on/off constant to the asf sensor! yep that simple, for those that want to do away with mechanical conversions .

Additionally this has been done with a 555 timer circuit also!! I will add more stuff here as tiime permits! Hopefully you arduino guys will share your work here also!!

I do also have some very very good code for the pic chip(this was professionally done) this can possibly be converted to arduino use (operation parameter wise) you will need to pic mplab and a chip programmer for pic.. this in time aswell!

555 circuit ex. Simple 555 Timer Projects: Variable Pulse Generator Circuit Design

Can somebody recap this pls? There is a wall of text, probably people fighting as well and whenever I find good topic it's depressing...

Can we build dtg at home? Do we have plans for free? Or we got another guy who sells diy dtgs(i noticed there's a lot of guys selling them)? Or he is selling plans?

Thank you :)

All the above link resources are free source/free tips for the ardunio etc, micro controller experimenters for auto dtg operation. There are links in the thread to free-build plans also, if you read thru.!

Additionally if there are any electronic pedigreed readers, im willing to do a joint collaboration on the arduino project! As long as it results in the free design use of the end product including design files and code/ complete board @ development cost! I would actually like to see this on the ardunio tutorial and project libraries as well! leave your info/pm if your interested and have the skillset on the board level! I have all the knowledge regarding the operating principles and component level parts! If you will donate your time i will donate mine :) ... time is a commodity these days for me.. but i would love for this to be free source everywhere regarding board designs.

Otherwise it would cost me out of pocket for the new board/s design (ardunio shield development)! I guess we could always do a kickstarter/or similar crowd fund it if needed to accomplish the goal..

I would like this to be a simplified "shield" with the current advances, that directly plugs to the ardunio/or equal, which is a common platform found cheaply... PM me if your interested in the free source project to benefit all diydtg builders! Lets simplify the board design and make this truly free, in addition to the trinamic board platform! :) A new "Mission" to "Accomplish" ... :)

In the meantime i will search other groups for a free source board level volunteer before moving to plan b! If we are lucky it will force the ardunio guys to free source the dtg board stuff ...win win either way.... or its just a matter of time :)

For those wanting to start experimenting !!!

Tip #3 The Stepper Motor Driver!!! the driver used is a Toshiba tb6600! Most put this chip ic on the proprietary board but you can use it stand alone also!!! If you look close you will see the ic configuration on the dtg controller boards! https://www.ebay.com/i/172359197761?chn=ps&dispItem=1

**note** encoder signals A/B ground (can be soldered directly from the encoder sensor on back) or picked off from an extension flatcable at shield. these signals are used as step and direction for the stepper driver:)

4,821 - 4,840 of 4,866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.