T-Shirt Forums banner
3821 - 3840 of 4866 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,821 ·
to a coated screen ?
Would it still need exposure and wash out ?:confused:

Or coated ,the ink drys, is waterproof then washout first then flip it over and uv cure ? Would the ink survive the washout?

Your the man Mr German , Do it, I want:D

Return to lurk learn mode ;)
screen is coated, dried,then printed direct to screen from inkjet, exposed, washed out... hope i said that right:)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,822 · (Edited)
Lawson was showing a direct to emulsion printer in new orleans.

Should be doable with epson machines especially the wider models.
with a wide epson its a slam dunk, but expensive for the printer for most..

capping station is the prob on the 13" wide.. may rig something up for myself on a 13"...;) A 16.5-17 Wide screen would work well on the epson 17 wides 48xx and the likes... you would have a 13-13.5 screen printable area at this size due to the frames..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post that i just got an email from Chris @ eukondigital.com A.K.A EKRIP...

he has informed me that he has a new version of Ek rip for the WF1100 that will be available soon.. It will be a CMYK-W configuration.. This will be ready for trial very soon... It seems that many users prefer the cmyk over the xtra white channel... this should make the rips use like all the others with very few adjustments if any and you will get the blacks you are used to without hassel!!!!:):D;)

Additionally i will be "looking into" converting the epson into a direct to screen printer.. attempting to do modifications that will allow printing directly to a coated screen.. this may be useful for anyone who allso does a little screen printing!! it will save a ton on film!!!

This is good news:). More options will make it worth the price. I hope another option will be added, the default KKMCY. I tried the demo but there is only the 3 color composite and of course the Whites for underbase. I tried gutenprint to print the the 4 color CMYK with maximum ink densities but was not enough. In my obsevation EKRip really lays more ink than gutenprint, 3inks to 5inks respectively.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Additionally i will be "looking into" converting the epson into a direct to screen printer.. attempting to do modifications that will allow printing directly to a coated screen.. this may be useful for anyone who allso does a little screen printing!! it will save a ton on film!!!
That's a very interesting idea... The UV Black ink will work great for that application.

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,825 ·
This is good news:). More options will make it worth the price. I hope another option will be added, the default KKMCY. I tried the demo but there is only the 3 color composite and of course the Whites for underbase. I tried gutenprint to print the the 4 color CMYK with maximum ink densities but was not enough. In my obsevation EKRip really lays more ink than gutenprint, 3inks to 5inks respectively.
WIL,

The ek 1100 composite needs some updates yet.. the new version will be spot on..

The density levels at default are to low IMO in the composite version.. try this.. go to (configuration)>(ink setting) and about the middle of the page you will see density, raise this from the default 100% up to 200% .. you will see a big difference in prints..

with ek you also can add additional passes per print line, this is color level .. same goes for white in regards to settings...

I believe 100% that the rip is the most important part of achieving a professional print with little hassel that is sellable.. I think the new version will be a big leap forward for the diy community!! Its amazing what kind of quality prints come off this cheap epson 1100 printer.. just unbeatable for the total cost...:)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,828 · (Edited)
I give this an awesome score... on a scale of one to ten, this is an eleven!

Bob ?;O)
It certainly isnt my idea, these direct to screen printers have been out for awhile, although i havnt seen one in epson form..lol.. Im just paying more attention to cost cutting time saving methods now that im screening more...the problem is converting the 13 inch printers to accept the 17 inch wide screens, print area would be 13/13.5 still... the capping stations in the way..lol:D and its needed for many reasons.. I could shift it to the left looking from the front by cutting more from that side of the printer but i would lose two inches of print area where the screen print frame is next to the capping station, that would bring it down to about a 10 max width print on the screen.. not enough IMO

the wide format 17 inch printers like the 48xx and the like would make for an easy conversion but its an expensive printer again with a 17 inch width screen once you deduct the frames your looking at a 13 width print which is acceptable.....will have to see what happens.. If i have to go the bigger printer i will because it will save a ton of bucks in film cost..+ printing directly to the screens would make registration set up almost perfect out of the gate..

maybe overkill? might be just aswell sticking with film..? I read on the screen print side that some of the asian printers were using a regular office paper with some type of oil? they have some good ideas.. like the line table how cheap is that setup and it works great!! I did end up switching the 3 point registration to a differnt method thats easier.. I was going to ask you, have you done any 4 color process prints yet?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It certainly isnt my idea, these direct to screen printers have been out for awhile, although i havnt seen one in epson form..lol.. Im just paying more attention to cost cutting time saving methods now that im screening more...the problem is converting the 13 inch printers to accept the 17 inch wide screens, print area would be 13/13.5 still... the capping stations in the way..lol:D and its needed for many reasons.. I could shift it to the left looking from the front by cutting more from that side of the printer but i would lose two inches of print area where the screen print frame is next to the capping station, that would bring it down to about a 10 max width print on the screen.. not enough IMO

the wide format 17 inch printers like the 48xx and the like would make for an easy conversion but its an expensive printer again with a 17 inch width screen once you deduct the frames your looking at a 13 width print which is acceptable.....will have to see what happens.. If i have to go the bigger printer i will because it will save a ton of bucks in film cost..+ printing directly to the screens would make registration set up almost perfect out of the gate..

maybe overkill? might be just aswell sticking with film..? I read on the screen print side that some of the asian printers were using a regular office paper with some type of oil? they have some good ideas.. like the line table how cheap is that setup and it works great!! I did end up switching the 3 point registration to a differnt method thats easier.. I was going to ask you, have you done any 4 color process prints yet?
I'm up for making things easier... I was offered a bid on a really cool 5 color job. I just didn't have the time to figure it out. I ate quite a few t-shirts just getting my first setup down with two colors. I can't imagine what 4 colors would look like.

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,830 ·
I'm up for making things easier... I was offered a bid on a really cool 5 color job. I just didn't have the time to figure it out. I ate quite a few t-shirts just getting my first setup down with two colors. I can't imagine what 4 colors would look like.

Bob ?;O)
sent you some info on a registration system that rocks!!!:)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,832 ·
is it possible that i already clogged my printhead with the white ink by not printing with it since monday. i got the pretreat today and tried to print and nothing. what the hell!!! i hope i didnt already mess it up
Very possible!!:eek:

Maintenace should be carried out every day once white is loaded!! You may have to try using a syringe to do some cleaning... I hope its not clogged bad.. this is what im talking about its not fun or user friendly if your not printing daily.. let me know how it turns out... best of luck;)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,836 ·
Another option for dtg is the 2880, i overlooked this printer for dtg until it was brought to my attention.. Its just like the 1800/1900/2400 build and offers manual roll and a front load ability aswell.. its a super easy conversion with a printer thats in production.. you again get back into the expensive dx5 head replacement.. Some of the advantages to this printer however are the larger 3 picoliter drop size like the 2200,1100,48xx printers.. another bonus is it has a good inkchip available that can be reset all to full-not single positions like the 1900... several companies offer rip for it aswell including EK, kothari and others.. I will stick with the 1100 it beig so cheap hower its another option.. I have found this printer for 400 on the epson clearance center and in the 200 range from ebay and craigslist...:)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,838 ·
Has anyone tried high pressure air?

Bob ?;O)
I have.. problem is the heads can stand very little preasure... it will delaminate the nozzle plate from the head with any heavy preasure you can delaminate using a syringe.. I have tried numerous approaches hot cold cleaning liquids, ultra sonic cleaner etc etc...

I have even tried boiling the nozzle plate itself:D to no avail once its clogged its toast pretty much..

the issue i think is the microscopic nozzles and the surface tension/ chemical needed to pentrate and clean them, doesnt exist...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have.. problem is the heads can stand very little preasure... it will delaminate the nozzle plate from the head with any heavy preasure you can delaminate using a syringe.. I have tried numerous approaches hot cold cleaning liquids, ultra sonic cleaner etc etc...

I have even tried boiling the nozzle plate itself:D to no avail once its clogged its toast pretty much..

the issue i think is the microscopic nozzles and the surface tension/ chemical needed to pentrate and clean them, doesnt exist...
maybe that should be your next big find:) im sure it would save everyone millions in the long run

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to reaad about your clogged head Chucky, I have had a few over the years, like Jeff, i have tried ultrasonic, shringe, soaking etc. out of 5 attempts i rescued 2 heads (3 went in the bin). My succsessfull attemts were with a shringe and an ultrasonic cleaner in tandom. It is very easy to apply too much pressure if you still feel resistance after gentle pressure STOP. if you continue either the head will delaminate as Jeff mentioned or the shringe will pop off the nipple on the head and the fluid will spray everywhere. Obviously the fluid in the shringe and in the ultrasonic cleaner MUST be kept away from the head electronics at all costs.

Best Of Luck Mate)))

3821 - 3840 of 4866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.