T-Shirt Forums banner
3581 - 3600 of 4866 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,582 · (Edited)
I have had alot of emails with questions regarding the 1100 printing white.. so here are some specs regarding the 1100..

the 1100 has two channels of black in stock form with 180 nozzles each with a minimum drop size of 3.5ish compared to the dx5 head at 1.5 minimum.. this larger drop size is beneficial to garment printers allowing a greater amount of ink to be droped in a single firing of the nozzle.. we replace these channels with white.. the remaining channels are cmy at 60 nozzles per channel.. the rip converts this printer in this fashion and prints a composite black...

for those that question the ability of this printer to print white here is an example based on the 2200 printhead.. the 2200 printhead has 96 nozzles per channel and when used for white printing three of the channels are white giving a grand total of 288 nozzles printing white.. the two channels of of white with the 1100 = 360 so you can see the 1100 is printing white with 72 more white nozzles than the 2200..

the ekrip configuration is what makes this work so well, and it is well proven with ek rips set up that it can flood white ink in the 720 res (speed mode) depending on settings.. i have not seen another rip capable of this and this is due to the passes per line with the head done in one step or platen move per image and the rip design configuration... so if the 2200 can do this with less nozzles and sub-par rip in comparrison to ek, this is certainly proof without even trying it for yourself that ek can accomplish this with ease!!!

the 1100 is not as fast as the 1800/1900 models but faster than most others in speed mode using ek.. the bang for the buck on printer cost is what sets it apart from them all at 130 bucks for a complete printer just add additional printers for production needs if needed and or cheap printhead replacement with clog issues.. i consider these disposable and the ROI is a no brainer...

will the printhead clog? you better beleive it just like all the other printers clog!! a bagged or closed system helps this along with maint.. the 1100 appeals to me because i can replace heads very cheap in the event of a clog making the return on investment much greater than the more expensive dx5 head at 500 to 800 to replace just for the head!!

I was after speed and more speed with all my experimentation/printing.. i have came to conclusion none of this matters with a cheap printer slower qauility print is better and add printers for production needs.. the fact remains that a dtg will never compete with screen print production and prices (with exception of the new 2-300,000 dollar printers and if we could afford this we woundnt be here) so whats the point use the dtg to its advantage and add machines for production needs.. IMO..:)

hope this answers some of the questions..:)

·
Banned
877 Posts
Just some information on a few printers ;)
Picoliters = the ink drop size of the print head.
Epson 1800 = min/3.5 picoliter max/18.0 picoliter
Epson 2200 = min/3.5 picoliter max 38.8 picoliter
Epson 2400 = min/3.0 picoliter max/12.0 picoliter
Epson 4800 = min/3.5 picoliter max/20.8 picoliter
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,584 · (Edited)
Just some information on a few printers ;)
Picoliters = the ink drop size of the print head.
Epson 1800 = min/3.5 picoliter max/18.0 picoliter
Epson 2200 = min/3.5 picoliter max 38.8 picoliter
Epson 2400 = min/3.0 picoliter max/12.0 picoliter
Epson 4800 = min/3.5 picoliter max/20.8 picoliter
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
I agree with most of these numbers with exception to the 1800 which is 1.5 picoliter same as 1900. the 1100 comes in at a minium of 3.0 picoliter close to the 2200 specs and the 48xx specs.. its beneficial to have a larger minimum drop size for what we do...

thanks for posting this dan!!:)

epson 1800 minium drop size = 1.5 Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Ink Jet Printer, Specifications - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

epson 1900 minimum drop size= 1.5 Epson Stylus Photo R1900 Ink Jet Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.
<LI class=clearfix>
Advanced MicroPiezo® Print Head with AMC™

Our Advanced MicroPiezo print head with AMC (Advanced Meniscus Control) is at the core of the Epson Stylus Photo R1900. This permanent, high-performance print head can create variable sized droplets as small as 1.5 picoliters and place them with incredible precision. This professional print head also incorporates an ink-repelling coating which decreases maintenance time and increases reliability. The result? Dots are so small, you can't see them

epson 1100 minimum drop size 3 http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/Specifications.do?sku=C11CA58201&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,586 ·
Agreed, BUT we never use the minimum and always the maximum x 4!
These numbers were given to me by iProof!
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
:D I always go by epson specs they make the printer...

How the printer performs its operation depends on the rip maker.. A good example of this is ek can lay down a white in 720 or speed mode and iproof cannot by my testing... so again it depends on how the rip is configured and they all do there thing differently!!!;)

·
Banned
877 Posts
I am only reporting as I always do and nothing more!
Good Luck!
What is the max drop size on the 1100 as that will tell you what it will do not the min?
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,588 · (Edited)
I am only reporting as I always do and nothing more!
Good Luck!
What is the max drop size on the 1100 as that will tell you what it will do not the min?
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
Thanks for the well wishing, Dan.. I often post the same to others aswell on there build "good luck" However i dont believe in luck:D one of my favorite quotes of alltime is "There is no such thing as luck. There is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe" and i agree with this 100%:)

I will get the max number for you, i have a call in for this as epson does not post there maximum on any of there specs for the various printers...

Again i would like to point out drop size is not the only factor as to what it will do as you say.. Its a combination of nozzles per channel/drop size/ rip function/ with the number of pases per line within the rip controls this aswell/ and ek rip is the only one that i know of that uses this design approach rather than only drop size alone.. there are many users that have to use the brand you mention at two passes of the platen to achieve desired results/ other rips lets you achieve this in one pass of the platen and additional passes of the head (hope you understand what im saying) there is no special programming with this approach and infact you can use the epson driver at two passes to achieve the same results with the brand you mention..

I appreciate your informative post:) Im doing the same as you and posting/ reporting as i know it.. it is important for people to know the rips operate differently and achieve there end results differently in alot of cases.. your experience is how Iproof/its other brands function but this is not the best rip IMHO and others work differently and better in color match. IMHO..

thats why these forums are what they are input from different user experiences and the products they have knowledge with... thanks again Dan

·
Banned
877 Posts
Now believe me when I say I hope it works for you BUT I have yet to see two channels have any type of a chance, now your idea of two of these printers back to back to me has a much better chance for a good white ink layer that would be needed.
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,590 · (Edited)
Now believe me when I say I hope it works for you BUT I have yet to see two channels have any type of a chance, now your idea of two of these printers back to back to me has a much better chance for a good white ink layer that would be needed.
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
We will just let let the printer speak for itself once i get my loose ends wrapped up!!! Its pretty useless giving you specs:) I can assure you it works and well its been tested!!! Simple math and rip combination:)

maybe this will be clearer spec if (the brand rip you market) can laydown a white with the 2200 using only 288 total nozzles ek can flood it using 360..:D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,592 · (Edited)
So what is the pros and cons of the 1100 versus the 1900? Are you saying all models should be the 1100 from here on out?
Its a matter of preference.. The 1100 was not previously supported for dtg application, now that it has been recently supported the 1100 is a very viable dtg with the rip..

the 1800/1900 is faster than the 1100 but this speed difference doesnt outweight the cost of the printer/printhead intial purchase and replacement purchase or ROI return on investment..

simply add printers for the additional speed/production you need /stock epson 1100 is 130ish dollars 1900/2000 400-500 up depending on where bought.. printheads you can classify in the same price range..

Heres another factor rip is 499 +-/ for the 1100.. RIP for the 1800/1900 or just about any other model from different suppliers ranges 850 and up.. simple math for me..

Besides the 2200/1800/1900/48xx are discountinued Epson printers.. JMHO..:) This from an avid Diydtg perspective!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
the rip converts this printer in this fashion and prints a composite black .../... i have came to conclusion none of this matters with a cheap printer
Noob question : can't we imagine that the quantity of CMY inks necessary to make a composite black will be far more important/costly than pure K ink ; and therefore reduce the interest to build a DIYDTG on a cheap printer basis ?
Regards, Eric.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,594 · (Edited)
Noob question : can't we imagine that the quantity of CMY inks necessary to make a composite black will be far more important/costly than pure K ink ; and therefore reduce the interest to build a DIYDTG on a cheap printer basis ?
Regards, Eric.
This would be a question for the ink cost calculator i guess? and the percentage of black ink prints? I see it as a savings reducing one ink that needs to be purchased/ eliminating the total bulk ink bottles to 4 if desired cmywhite instead of 5to8 cmykw cmyk-wwww and eliminating the next biggest clog prone color (black) The composite black is a much better black IMO than the pure k, and i think if you ask some of the long term users doing this for dtg they will agree!!..

The printer cost alone along with head replacement cost far out weighs using a different printer specifically the 1900 and its likes with a dx5 head at 500 + a pop;)

Its all a matter of preference what your after what your willing to spend what your production expectations are, rip preferences etc etc.. I can tell you i have ran diy on nearly every epson format and non epson and you simply cant beat the 1100 from a cost standpoint on any level.. but you will need to see this for your self to understand by getting some print time experience with the different printer models and what there cost is to operate including maint/head replacement..:) I know of several users that already use this format and most do not advertise its benefits because they are printers and it would not benefit there cause or profit margin to yell this from the rooftops as far as competition goes..!!! you would be surprized at how many diy printers have made there way into previous commercial users shops as production boosters and the likes.. Iam..lol

Bottom line is this is a decision for the end user, but i can assure you no one could compete in operation costs vs the 1100 and its return on investment IMO........ Im not trying to convince anyone they need an 1100, i know what my preference is and what works best based on all the diy i have done but thats strictly my opionion based on my experience.. so take it for what its worth;)

hope it helps...

·
Registered
610 Posts
hey german, dont know if you seen it but i asked a while back if you would be selling the thing you designed to do away with the electric problem . cant remember where it was or what it was called now but im sure you know what im talking about.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,596 · (Edited)
hey german, dont know if you seen it but i asked a while back if you would be selling the thing you designed to do away with the electric problem . cant remember where it was or what it was called now but im sure you know what im talking about.
Chuck..

Im only here discussing the various diy printers/models and helping those that can build there own when i can.. I cant discuss anything regarding what you have asked (forum rules regarding self promotion) now that i have a product i will be marketing it would cross the line within the rules here.. this will all be detailed on my site when the project is done..

you should give the self build or diy a go round before you seek premade models..:) I have no issue saying that dtg is not for everyone especially when printing white ink.. so if you have the skill set to do a diy, you should attempt this first if its nothing more than getting your feet wet with the dtg experience.. At this point if you decide you dont like it you have traveled the cheapest experimental path available... I have nearly pulled my hair out with white ink printing and head clogs and the head expense involved in replacement, I have made no secret of this... the 1100 has offered me the cheapest operating cost especially printing white and i frankly dont care if it clogs i will toss it and yank a head from a new 1100 and be on my way again very cheaply...

·
Registered
610 Posts
sorry about the question, i didnt realize that was behind the rules. i guess i am just so excited about the build i forget about the rules. so i am doing the build, infact i just left lowes getting the supplies for the base. printer will be here on the 5th my only concern is the electric part of the build. well thanks, and sorry for the question.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
Hi Dan, with good rip setting and white ink configuration , I think 2 channel of white ink from epson 1400 can make a decent print.
This is the example video
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbXPbxc5ZA&feature=player_embedded[/media]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Aju,

Yes 2 channels can make a decent white on the 1400 if time isn't a factor. My guess since this video doesn't show the whole underbase printing that complete print time is close to 20 minutes.

For a hobby user or someone just starting an online store that only sells a couple shirts a day this might be acceptable.

3581 - 3600 of 4866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.