T-Shirt Forums banner
3461 - 3480 of 4866 Posts

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,463 · (Edited)
Jeff, curious as to the viscosity of the original Ricoh inks. They are a gel is that correct? It might be possible to use a plastisol with them is what I am thinking. Perhaps with the appropriate amount of reducer/extender...

Bob ?;O)
the gel is a marketing ploy, they are no different than any other ink except the viscosity is 8cps.. so this is nearly double the normal epson dtg ink..

by eye you could not tell of a difference.. hope you understand what im trying to convey:) the cure rate is faster with higher viscosity not sure exactly why but it is.. this coincides with brothers faster cure rates aswell.. working with the ricoh is like the wild west its a whole new ball game some good and some not..lol

for example the refill carts, i have been having issue with the magenta chip.. the first set completely failed.. the second set worked but the magenta again shows as being used and it will not reset when you reinstall it gives the used cart message.. so im trying to find out whats going on with these carts, its a chip issue on magenta.. anyway down with no carts currently until its resolved.. planned on testing the whole weekend:rolleyes: maybe ill do some epson testing for the fun...lol:rolleyes:

· Registered
73 Posts
Its still got a few bugs to work out:) It could also use a rip and color profiling.. honestly the Ricoh will take more talent than i have to make it an awesome dtg, and when your working on a shoestring buget its hard to do.. this would include rip/color profiles/better hardware/electronics.. the epsons have alot of available existing elements unlike the ricoh which makes it a bigger challenge (as im pulling my hair out)..lol

One of the issues when printing the white is it needs time to set between color/white so theres a fine line here in regards to qauility regarding the ricoh it being so fast to print.. printing white slower is better this is why i think the moving printer with multiple platens or just multiple platens when printing white to give the needed time to set otherwise it will need a time delay.. Learning alot with these machines...

Im working on trying to make that happen, need a existing company.. Im looking to get involved with dtg/machines on a full time level either way and perhaps get some professional training aswell;) Been talking to one that seems to have a good range and alot of experience hope it works out!!! I just like toying with the machines..:)
awesome job thanks for your efforts, as for the white setting perhaps a heat lamp or similar could be used my 2cents or less. thanks again!

· Registered
2,857 Posts
They are similar but some electronics are different. There is a thread on 2200 here somewhere

· Registered
625 Posts
They are similar but some electronics are different. There is a thread on 2200 here somewhere
yeah i seen that one. i know you have one of the ones based on the 2200, how do you like it. i am purchasing the same one. i was going to attempt the build myself but i cut off my thumb and pointing finger at work last week. i was sure it would be hard before but now i know i couldnt pull it off:( please let me know if there is any special care i need to take of this machine, i would really appreciate it!

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,471 · (Edited)
Jeff,

I'm trying to view your Ricoh video and keep getting a message that it's "private" - am I doing something wrong?

Gaver
Gaver,

I apologize for the inconvenience, I have sold what i learned in r&d and felt it the appropriate thing to do was remove them..

the reality with the ricoh is it is not a good diy printer due to the cost it takes to implement..the printer alone pushes 1000 dollars and you can better than double it to get it going as a dtg due to all the additional components..

I am however working on another printer combination/diy project and upgrading my site for premade parts etc, I think alot of people will be interested in this due to its low cost and easy build and accessible parts for those that have a hard time with building there own.. more or less kits/assembly required.. I will continue to answer questions here regarding the diydtg builds that i designed as soon as I wrap my project up and time allows..:) hopefully you will stay tuned, Im adding alot of stuff into diy and including a direct contact for those that need service/direction verbally.. I want to finish what i started.. I built alot of relationships around what i have done here and have some great contacts in the industry and this will be my first attempt at a semi fulltime go at it and sticking to the diy roots..;) I also have to see whats involved in regards to tsf sponsorship..

· Registered
1,251 Posts
I am however working on another printer combination/diy project and upgrading my site for premade parts etc, I think alot of people will be interested in this due to its low cost and easy build and accessible parts for those that have a hard time with building there own.. more or less kits/assembly required..
I think that's a good direction Jeff...

Bob ?;O)

· Registered
43 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for the update - glad to know it wasn't my computer preventing me from viewing the video :)

Which website are you updating with your new DIY equipment and service offers?
I think that's a great idean - and one that will help this community and forum greatly!

Regards,

Gaver

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,480 ·
Looks like you are selling out?
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
I have shunned the demand for a cost effective DIYDTG for along time.. I get daily email requests that i just cant ignore any further.. If i dont others will profit from designs i have already produced, this is evident already.. I really enjoy working on these machines and this requires capital to continue.. cant be a self funded dtg research and survive very long!!! I built a monster following on accident!!:)
It fills a void low entry cost to dtg, allowing one to build a business and then moving to commercial models if they choose.. Its good for everyone.. especially people like you that supply the gas for these machines;)

3461 - 3480 of 4866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.