T-Shirt Forums banner
3441 - 3460 of 4866 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
what do you recommend for the printbed? i was looking @ 1/4in mdf board, trying to use something lite so it doesnt put any stress on the motor over time, i was also looking @ 22guage piece of sheet metal from lowes, what are your recommedations, i have 3/4in mdf board left over but i am thinking it might be too heavy...

· Registered
90 Posts
what do you recommend for the printbed? i was looking @ 1/4in mdf board, trying to use something lite so it doesnt put any stress on the motor over time, i was also looking @ 22guage piece of sheet metal from lowes, what are your recommedations, i have 3/4in mdf board left over but i am thinking it might be too heavy...
Based on the designs in your website, those types of print dont need a DTG

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,444 · (Edited)
this was the very first test print to come off the Ricoh.. for those that have tried the moving printer!! you know this is no easy task:)..

The printer will print alot faster the early slides where not up to the task however..;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdyLOLvKkQ&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

· Registered
1,251 Posts
this was the very first test print to come off the Ricoh.. for those that have tried the moving printer!! you know this is no easy task:)..

The printer will print alot faster the early slides where not up to the task however..;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdyLOLvKkQ&feature=player_detailpage[/media]
Nice... Thanks for the preview.

Bob ?;O)

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,447 · (Edited)
Nice... Thanks for the preview.

Bob ?;O)
Its still got a few bugs to work out:) It could also use a rip and color profiling.. honestly the Ricoh will take more talent than i have to make it an awesome dtg, and when your working on a shoestring buget its hard to do.. this would include rip/color profiles/better hardware/electronics.. the epsons have alot of available existing elements unlike the ricoh which makes it a bigger challenge (as im pulling my hair out)..lol

One of the issues when printing the white is it needs time to set between color/white so theres a fine line here in regards to qauility regarding the ricoh it being so fast to print.. printing white slower is better this is why i think the moving printer with multiple platens or just multiple platens when printing white to give the needed time to set otherwise it will need a time delay.. Learning alot with these machines...

Im working on trying to make that happen, need a existing company.. Im looking to get involved with dtg/machines on a full time level either way and perhaps get some professional training aswell;) Been talking to one that seems to have a good range and alot of experience hope it works out!!! I just like toying with the machines..:)

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,450 · (Edited)
Jeff, does the Ricoh even have a programming API? Just thinking...

Bob ?;O)
Not exactly sure what your talking about? It does have alot of control in the driver with import icc profiles etc.. but it will need a rip to make it optimal.. you can adjust service perameters within a given tolerance ie feed controls registration etc.. writing the program is not my forte:) its alot more involved than the epsons.. you can only go so far without additional talent/ $..

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,452 · (Edited)
Very nice work, Jeff! That thing is pretty quick, and I am sure it can be made to operate much faster... ;) Looks like you hit the ground running, on that whole Ricoh thing! Which inks did you run for the test print?
That was a 1200 dpi print and in this print using dupont ink so this is the slowest it will print without a rip.. I have updated hardware and it will print 600 dpi twice as fast and so on... Im going to test the dupont profile i have been using the stock Ricoh and it is remarkably close (with monitor) f you know what i mean.... however i think the ink should be profiled for post cure..IMO...;)

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,454 ·
I wish that Ricoh will make A2 size professional desktop printer so that it can be converted to A2 size DTG printer.
How about it... you will not fair better currently with an epson.. the 4900 is replacing the 4880 and the 4900 has low ink viscosity and theres no dtg ink currently.. so even epson printers will be slim in the a2 shortly:)

3441 - 3460 of 4866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.