T-Shirt Forums banner
3021 - 3040 of 4866 Posts

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,021 · (Edited)
I just saw the video from the lawson express jet dtg

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_90qzr4Hi4[/media]

I must say I am dissapointed with the print speed. Either those guys do not know how to use their own printer or the machine is way too slow. When printing the underbase, the printer does like 5 pases before moving the platen!
I think they use there own firmware not the ricoh firmware.. not sure however.. I think this printer goes for 70,000 dollars:eek:

if you watch the ricoh gx7000 print it is much faster the the epson.. in fact there are charts of the print times in comparrison to epson formats up to 4800 on condees site... i think the charts showed that the ricoh prints in 44 seconds what the epson prints in over three minutes..

the big deal is the clogging issue.. if it doesnt clog its worth everybit of it...

I would however like to see the 1100 white ink test results before diving in another brand printer..

· Registered
351 Posts
I saw that one. Problem is that the print is just about 4 inches in width, but still it looks fast.

I was checking the difference between the GX7000 and the GX e3300N. it seems that the only difference is the paper size. Do you think both use the same printhead? If that's the case, then buying a $200 GX e3300N would be a good option for converting one to DTG, and a great option for spare printheads!

http://www.ricoh-usa.com/products/compare_products.aspx?pids=1011,1554&cid=25

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,025 · (Edited)
I also think there is a point with dtg were you can get to fast.. as far as the white ink printing goes.. what happens is the cmyk pools if its applied to quickly.. the white needs to gel for a bit.. this is why the one pass (printing white and cmyk at the same time was a flop) the prints are dull... I think this is a limitation to dtg with current ink technology..

i dont think its wise to get much faster than a 1 minute print on the white underbase and that may be pushing it a bit...

this is the 4800 printers claim to fame as far as its bright or qauility image, its my opinion that because the 4800 are such slow printers that it allows the white to dry better giving a perception of a better qauility when in fact its related to print speed..

this was also documented by stichup on the commercial side with the neo flex.. he claims using the three platens and printing white on all three then going back and doing the color over produces better prints then doing a single shirt at a time or single platen.. which many agree.. i guess this was accidentlly discovered by scott fresner when using his blazer express machines with multiple platens...

there is quite a bit to dtg and there limitations as far as print times.. I think any of the diydtg epson formats can be competitive as long as there is a resonable non clog printer for the white... the 1100 has the best chance with its larger drop size/ waiting on 1100 all white results..:D otherwise a different format needs to be looked at... (screen printing is not that hard either and my current choice until a white ink can be printed in epsons without clog issues..) If the all white ink can sit in an 1100 for a week without issue ill get excited and build a couple of these dual printer machines...

· Registered
351 Posts
i dont think its wise to get much faster than a 1 minute print on the white underbase and that may be pushing it a bit...
But if you are using dual printers, then you could flash the underbase for say 10 seconds before printing the CMYK? Also if the Ricoh allows for a higher viscosity, perhaps other kinds of cheaper inks could be tested. I am curious as to what would be the viscosity of a regular water base white for screen print?

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,027 · (Edited)
But if you are using dual printers, then you could flash the underbase for say 10 seconds before printing the CMYK? Also if the Ricoh allows for a higher viscosity, perhaps other kinds of cheaper inks could be tested. I am curious as to what would be the viscosity of a regular water base white for screen print?
screen print inks are much thicker/ more like a paste..

you may be able to test the airbrush inks not sure what the viscosity is with these but when i spoke with createx (airbrush inks) they said viscosity could be adjusted...;)

I think we are better off starting with the existing dtg inks at the 8 viscosity rating...

1100 is still in play i think we need to see some white ink tests done on it... its a 100 dollar printer basically.. hard to beat..

Im surprized the ricoh hasnt been attempted as a dtg.. granted its only been out for three years.. there are alot of rumors of manufactures going to other formats.. maybe this is one of them? I think the reality has set in there needs to be a white ink solution as far as clogging to sustain sales of commercial machines replacing printheads is costly for the epson dx5 format..

Heres another option build your own using modular components;)Amica Systems |NuviJET| inkjet software | hardware solutions-Amica Systems

· Registered
351 Posts
Im surprized the ricoh hasnt been attempted as a dtg.. granted its only been out for three years.. there are alot of rumors of manufactures going to other formats.. maybe this is one of them? I think the reality has set in there needs to be a white ink solution as far as clogging to sustain sales of commercial machines replacing printheads is costly for the epson dx5 format..
Jeff, I am really interested in the Ricoh option, fast prints and less clogging! How about we split the cost on venturing on this one? I think the GXe3300N is a good starting point to play with before a GX7000. It's only $170 from PCNation:

Ricoh GX e3300N GelSprinter Printer 405679 - Buy Ricoh Laser (printers) Inkjet Printers | PCNation.com
Amazon.com: Ricoh Aficio Gx E3300N: Electronics

For starters, how about I pay for the printer and you take a look at it? I don't think it comes with a full set of cartridges, but we can take a look at that as well. Also we could split the cost of buying different ink brands for testing.

The GXe3300N is about $370 in my country and cartridges are more expensive as well. Plus you have a lot more experience building DTGs. So it would be a better option for me as well.

So what do you think, do we jump into it?

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,029 ·
Jeff, I am really interested in the Ricoh option, fast prints and less clogging! How about we split the cost on venturing on this one? I think the GXe3300N is a good starting point to play with before a GX7000. It's only $170 from PCNation:

Ricoh GX e3300N GelSprinter Printer 405679 - Buy Ricoh Laser (printers) Inkjet Printers | PCNation.com
Amazon.com: Ricoh Aficio Gx E3300N: Electronics

For starters, how about I pay for the printer and you take a look at it? I don't think it comes with a full set of cartridges, but we can take a look at that as well. Also we could split the cost of buying different ink brands for testing.

The GXe3300N is about $370 in my country and cartridges are more expensive as well. Plus you have a lot more experience building DTGs. So it would be a better option for me as well.

So what do you think, do we jump into it?
Luis,

randy just picked up a Ricoh gx7000 that is non functioning, hes shipping this to me and im going to look it over to see what its all about..

let me get a good look of the mechanics on it then we will go from there... we will work something out from there/ as far as the research and testing!! I appreciate the offer aswell:)

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,031 · (Edited)
Sounds, good. The offer stands, you just let me know.
I appreciate it... randy is going to send a bunch of pics on it tonight before shipping and we are going talk out the components because he also has a working ricoh gx7000 he uses for sublimation and we are going to weed thru it to get an idea...

it looks very promising with the electronics already placed up behind the printer no paper path would have to be cut just a new transport built for it..

one of the interesting components about the ricoh is it has an electrostatic belt that holds the paper so im sure the timing and asf issues that have to be overcome with the epson are no issue with the ricoh... this system would allow more options as far as the feed aswell becuase this electrostatic belt travels on larger rollers per say/// for instance with the epson your working with a 5/16ths rod and it has to be matched or regeared.. it looks as if the ricoh has a larger demension to work with which is good for a bunch of reasons... It looks like a little brother 541..lol might be on to something..time will tell ... trying not to invest a bunch of money until we get a better look!!

ill post more as i find out...;)

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,032 ·
heres a look at the ricoh ink msds.. as you can see there is nothing special in its composition.. gives the viscosity if you scroll down on the msds aswell which is 8... pigment level % is higher than the epsons aswell.. again more in line with the brother dtg ink msds..

additionally it lists the carts as all compatiable with there other smaller inkjets..
[media]http://161.58.7.135/ricohmsds/pdf/405532.pdf[/media]

· Registered
334 Posts
hi,
here [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyd-vci-Woc[/media]
my second diy 1400

structure and aluminum plate, friction mode, height adjustable by hand, printing 48 * 32.8 cm. But because of money problems I have to part with it, if anyone interrested. My wife said three printer in the living room it's been too much. PM

i'm a dtg juncky..SORRY

· Registered
44 Posts
i just finish building the base using fiberboard using DIY DTG WIKI Cluebook and bought some skateboard wheels and 24" slider.
(i'll take some picture of the base tomorrow)
I have couple question.
1. What's the diameter of the R1900 drive motor shaft.
2. Anyone got picture of their friction drive setup i can see as reference.

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,037 · (Edited)
UNDER THE HOOD OF THE RICOH (first impression pics)..

got the first look under the hood of the ricoh.. this printer looks like it was built for dtg..lol, the electronics are positioned on a rear mount above the paper path.. etc

this printer looks to be an easy conversion, i have about 20 or more pics of the machine and i cant see anything that looks to be a problem mechanically.. I will inspect it closely once it arrives..

I need to check the sensor configuration but by all accounts looks to be simplier to overcome due to there unique feed system, more inspection is needed yet..

I can say it is a very robust printer and it looks awesome from the pics.. heres a few to ponder..

3021 - 3040 of 4866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.