T-Shirt Forums banner
2841 - 2860 of 4866 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also can you explain the mechanism behind drive, friction , or timing belts - I've seen many designs that use either . But which one is simple yet efficient and not too cost heavy. :3 I would like to get started on this right away. I'm also disappointed that Frank has been MIA . I was following his videos pretty closely but he never posted videos of it in action. XD. I figure the wooden base is fine if I spray paint it :D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,842 ·
I see what you mean. So currently the 1400 doesn't have white ink capabilities?
yes it will print white ink but only two channels are white, it is set up as cmykww... the 1400 is 90 nozzles per channel.. so it will print the white much slower than a 1900...

the 1900 is eight channels and it can be set up cmyk wwww or dual cmyk... the 1900 is 180 nozzles per channel so double that of the 1400..

however you just cant beat the bang for the buck a 1400 offers IMHO...

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,844 ·
Also can you explain the mechanism behind drive, friction , or timing belts - I've seen many designs that use either . But which one is simple yet efficient and not too cost heavy. :3 I would like to get started on this right away. I'm also disappointed that Frank has been MIA . I was following his videos pretty closely but he never posted videos of it in action. XD. I figure the wooden base is fine if I spray paint it :D
theres all kinds of info on drives in the thread just gotta read...:) I have built many different WORKING versions of dtg printers with different drive combinations and found friction drive to be the best IMHO.. no backlash no feed adjustment needed and you can exploit the full available resolution...

not sure what happened with frank or his thread? the tear down is easy in fact the epson service manual gives this step by step.. its converting the printer to dtg thats the hard part many give up after tearing it down.. i always tell people to study the function of the printer and understand how it works before diving into the build.. its easy to get frustrated and walk away if you dont understand there function and what the sensors do etc...

the build is very easy if you understand how the printers work:)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,845 ·
Compared to the 1900 is the 1400 similar in construction? I would like to know if the parts are similar so I can get an idea of what parts are needed. Also would the same kind of drawer in your tdozer v2 work for a 1400 build
the frames and parts are identical except for the motherboards and printheads and capping station.. any desktop epson will work with the single platen design and operate the same..

best of luck on your build

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you don't want the ink to wash out of the shirt you have to use DTG ink. DTG inks are a form of pigment ink but regular pigment inks will wash out. If you try using DYE based ink they wash out almost immediately. You should also use pre-treatment too especially on dark colored shirts.
So the answer to you question is no this ink will not work. It' made for Photo printing.

Philip

Will this type of ink work fine on shirts?

BULK PIGMENT INK REFILL BOTTLES FOR EPSON 1400 CIS CISS | eBay

I read that pigment inks just have to be heat treated for DTG.

But the recommended ink was Dupont, which is ridiculously priced.

I'm also wondering how many shirts will 1 full cartridge will print...

And in terms how much will 4 Oz of ink will last

·
Registered
324 Posts
i've a question to those who use 1400 dtg with white ink, with 1390 i 've a strange way,

like i said only one of the twoo white channels give ink, i did some tshirt today and tested to inverse the cartridge of ciss but it's the same cahannel that give white ink, i checked if the other channel is clogg but it isn't,

could you tell me if the two channesl of white ink give the same amout of white ink please?

i will change my head print if it's the case.

thanks

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
How many shirts will 1 liter of dupont inks print
Need a lot more info for that.
Size of graphic. 100% white or gradients

But on 1 side 12x13 graphic. 75-100 depending on density and waste/ head cleaning. IMHO

Reactions: DTFuqua

·
Registered
934 Posts
Here are some numbers my Mod 1 rip gives me for cost. Remember coverage % will change these, but will give you a rough idea. These numbers are based on paying $280 per liter.

No underbase:
4x4 Standard Pocket: $0.01 - $0.03
12x15 Photo: $0.40 - $.60

With underbase:
4x4 Standard Pocket: $0.02 - $0.05
12x15 Photo: $1.50 - $2.50

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes. I've read that Windex is really good for cleaning heads. Although you must be sure to get Windex Classic because it supposedly doesn't have wax. Either way, I would check the label carefully before using it.

Also, I've read that plain distilled water works as well. I guess you can use a syringe to gently ease the water into one of the holes in the head (sorry for my lack of technical words). But then you want to use the syringe to suck out the dried ink. Ultimately, you want to pull out more than you put in- be extremely careful not to force too much water in.

Also, I've been told that an ultrasonic cleaning machine works wonders. And you know how everyone just happens to have one of those sitting around, right? ;) Just fire it up.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Ultra sonic cleaning is best done in small increments. Say 10 sec a pop.
To much can destroy the head. Also warm cleaning solution. Not hot just warm helps a lot.

Reactions: 102557

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,856 · (Edited)
Just wanted to remind those just starting out the diydtg build that the epson wf1100 smallest droplet size its rated at 3.5 to 4 picoliters and still achieves the high resolution...

with most other epson printers 1400 1800 1900 4800 etc there smallest drop size is 1.5 picoliters.. the workforce 1100 is a pigment ink based printer unlike the 1400 which is dye based..

this drop size difference is quite abit and i imagine the clog issues would be much less.. you could prolly compare it to the 2200 as far as this goes because its smallest drop size is nearly the same as the wf1100.. the only down side to the 1100 is its only a cmyk printer cmykk and much slower 60 nozzles per channel.. a seperate printer could prolly be used for the white or screen print the white underbase coming in at under 200 for the printer.. however less headache is always good!!!!:D

It seems epson is going smaller and smaller with the drop size and ink viscosity as new printers come out geared toward the photographer.. this senario is not good for textile printing with the epson due to clogging and new ink formulations needed.. I dont think the epson will be the choice of future textile printers as these changes occur.. it looks bleek at best a much more expensive printer will need to be used mutoh/mamaki/roland with an epson head or an entirely different printhead like a kyocera/spectra etc... you already see some of the manufactures moving to a mutoh base and i have read some intial reviews ofthe epson 4900 being smaller drop size lower viscosity printer:rolleyes: this coupled with the ink chip need... Seems all a bit to scary for someone investing in epson based printers for textiles... I have noticed browsing ebay and the classified section here a large number of nearly new dtgs for sale at huge cost reduction. they always read getting out of the biz, health problems or changed biz model.. After reading the post here (co founder of anajet as i understand) http://www.t-shirtforums.com/member-introductions/t154061-2.html#post921047 and experiencing the white ink clogs and consumable cost, it put alot of doubt in my mind with the current state of dtg however i look forward to see how dtg pans out in the next couple years...

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,858 ·
Jeff, I would think that production printers like the Workforce should continue to have larger droplet size since these printers are geared toward office use.

Bob ?;O)
Yeah, thats what im thinking:) however we are always at the mercy of epson as far as design changes or discontinuing a model.. this is why im gearing up with the screen print gear and plan on setting up so 90% of my work is screen print until i see a solid solution from dtg...;) I think it will pan in this direction due to the designs anyway...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yeah, thats what im thinking:) however we are always at the mercy of epson as far as design changes or discontinuing a model.. this is why im gearing up with the screen print gear and plan on setting up so 90% of my work is screen print until i see a solid solution from dtg...;) I think it will pan in this direction due to the designs anyway...
That's a good call... Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here is an easy way to calculate ink cost on any design.
Download a copy of Multi Rip. It's fully functional except it prints a watermark if you use it to print t-shirts.
You can enter the cost you pay or expect to pay for inks and then pick a design like you are going to print it and it will calculate the cost to print the t-shirt.

Philip

How many shirts will 1 liter of dupont inks print

2841 - 2860 of 4866 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.