T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello Jeff, I stumbled across this forum and it has blown my mind, in so many ways, I have been reading non stop for a week. I have hardly slept, I have a vinyl cutter and a printer in pieces just experimenting. Motors ribbon cables etc everywhere LOL. You have done an incredible job and your generosity with your time and knowledge is admirable to say the least I am 41 and have travelled and I have never met anyone who had put in such a collosal effort for the greater good. I dont often post on forums, im a follower rather than a leader. But i must say Thank You So so much and if there is any justice in the world you will be a very wealthy man very soon.

Best Wishes for the future.

Not discounting the input of all the other veterans of course

·
Registered
77 Posts
Main drive system

Hi guys, pls tell me to go read some more if you feel I should, but belive me I have read at least 300 pages and watched loads of videos etc. the problem is what you guys said was a great idea in may turned out to be garbage in june. its tough to follow to say the least. I want to test the water with a v2 style base and a 2100 i have laying around. the base is built but could someone advise me on the pro's and cons of conveyor style drive versus rubber toothed belt with a drive rod. I am leaning towards the latter and have removed the belt that used to move the cutting head on an old vinyl cutter i have (seems perfect for the job).

Sorry if im a dumbass but we've all gotta start somewhere:)

P.s help me to make some money out of this pile of mdf and i will use my first profits to join the queue and order something decent from Jeff:D

Also i suppose understandably due to more recent developments a lot pics and vids that i'm sure were great have been removed

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for that Jeff, the 2100's are so cheap here i can buy a whole printer to break up for parts for the price of a couple of bottles of wine. This is my first build and i will use it to gain experience even if it never ever gets working, Im sure i will learn enough to get it right next time (or the time after that) :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I call myself following exactly the instructions given by dupont, and use the method provided by dtginks.com and this is the same as many people use..

granted, i have recieved much better results in the past.. i used a spray bottle for applying the pretreat it was a quick fix.. the spray guns do a better job...

theres no pooling, just in some spots the ink "took better" to the pretreat.. It really is an art to get this down perfectly as many have mentioned that do it every day... Im going to be straight forward its simply an art i wish not to learn.. its to long of a process as far as im concerned and not gauranteed perfect results for those new to it.. if you consider the time to pretreat/time to cure pretreat/ time to print white ink and color/ time to cure the print and all the maint required when jetting white ink (I prefer to screen print anything that requires white ink) JMHO and i have been at this for awhile.. I just dont think the profit margin is there for jetting white and its hassels and at a low volume of printing white ..this is fact..IMHO:D

As i said jetting white ink and the pretreat process is second nature for alot of people, it just doesnt fit me very well.. I dont have the patience for it...
anyway the point was to show the good and bad aspects i have encountered personally...

Im suprised to read your latest post Jeff, Having spent the last 6 weeks or so following your work I felt certain we were heading for a diy solution that could match the commercial machines in almost every respect. My build is progressing well and I will not be defeated by it no matter what:) Incidently i have trashed 2 printers so i have lots of spares now (note for noobs like me : THE HEAD CABLES ARE VERY DELICATE).

The commercial guys seem to be able to print white consistantly I really hope that soemone will find a way for us to do the same on our miniscule budgets))

Thanks again for all your hard work Jeff.

Best wishes Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jeff, no disrespect taken, you are absolutely right, i know that i have seen the errors that i have had in these threads but i have read so many of them i dont remember where i seen them at and then when i find some thing about it, the question that i find hasnt been answered. i will read every single one of these through again if i have to. i guess its just easier to ask someone that has done it before but i know everyone has been asked the same questions over and over again and get sick of it. call it the easy way out i guess. thank you for your contribution though. you are a [email protected]#$ at this.
Hi mate I copy and paste any interesting or relevant comments into a document and save it on my pc that way I have notes that i can refer back to and I don't have to search the threads again for the useful bits that i have already found once:)

It will be a long journey but at least its a path pre-trodden by others:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
OH man, here we go again. It seems that every time i take one step forward i take two back. here is the latest error that i cant figure out! if anyone knows what this means when the pf motor just starts going 100 miles an hr please let me know.

And thats my son you hear in the background, hes 3 and has to be building something :)

error lights - YouTube
Dont take it as gospel but I think your pf encoder wheel sensor is not working I had something almost identical. Moving the sensor very slightly cured my problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Help!!!! Please. Im fed up!!!! I have no ink firing from the head, My printer operates normally But fires no ink whatsoever. I have replaced the head cables, The main Board, The Print Head......Still nothing!!!!!

If i do a head clean my waste ink bottle fills so the ink is flowing through the head right???

I'm not an engineer, I am learning as i go, Please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

I feel sure its something obvious i'm missing??????

So sorry to hear you will not input any further Jeff. Very best wishes for the future)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi everyone I haven't been here for a few days and i notice the subject is pre-treating at the mo. After Jeff's not so wonderfull recent experiences it got me thinking. Most peolple seem to agree this is a crucial stage in achieving good white coverage, and that it takes a while to get good enough to get anything like consistant results.

Anyway last night I began to tear the stepper motors logic boards and just about everything else out of a very old and near worthless Vinyl cutter and attempt to use the parts as the base for an automatic pretreatment machine. LOL. LOL .LOL

Its actually looking like it might WORK!!!!!!

I am planning to use an airbrush style mini compressor, I will put the shirt in manually and the drive system from the cutter will move the gun across the shirt. Hopefully achieving an even coverage. Like many comercial machines the speed of the movement will hopefully enable some control of coverage. I plan to use a similar system to the platen sensor to get a solenoid to activate and deactivate the manual trigger on the gun itself.

Interested in your opinions on the theory. If anyones interested I could post some pics but its early stages and it will be constructed out of scrap i have lying around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to reaad about your clogged head Chucky, I have had a few over the years, like Jeff, i have tried ultrasonic, shringe, soaking etc. out of 5 attempts i rescued 2 heads (3 went in the bin). My succsessfull attemts were with a shringe and an ultrasonic cleaner in tandom. It is very easy to apply too much pressure if you still feel resistance after gentle pressure STOP. if you continue either the head will delaminate as Jeff mentioned or the shringe will pop off the nipple on the head and the fluid will spray everywhere. Obviously the fluid in the shringe and in the ultrasonic cleaner MUST be kept away from the head electronics at all costs.

Best Of Luck Mate)))

1 - 11 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.