T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has anyone ever tried using an Epson R1800 with 4 x white for printing on black's.

I have heard that they have ink starvation problems. Its just that I have been trying for over a month to get an R1900 and I have a couple of R1800's laying about doing nothing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has the 2200 got the same print head as the R1900 ?

I think I read somewhere on her that German13 said that the 2200 was none too good for conversion but then that may have been somthing to do with it maybe not having roll mode before he started using sheet mode on his R1900.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I think its sunk in now :) Getting a bit long in the tooth here !

Would love to get my hands on a R1900 but few and far between over here. A used one costs x2 more than you guys can buy a referb from Epson over there so looks like I will have to go for a 2200.

Whats the difference between 2100 and 2200 when it comes to a DIY DTG conversion.

Oh and speed is not really an issue here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Using an Epson R1900 which is best for printing on white cotton for testing or short term use Dye or Pigment based ink and would it benefit from any pre or post printing treatment, any particular (normal ink type) supplier recommends in the UK. Roughly how many if any washes before it fades or disappears. I don't want to load up with pukka ink till I am sure things are working correctly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brilliant Job Jeff

Great pictures. Any chance of a picture viewing the right hand side and some pictures of the drive mechanism that would be great.

Did you measure up to specifically make it so comfortable for the cat's, they really seem to like it.

It looks like you have opted for a fixed platen height now adjustable by the locking screws and the elongated engagement holes.

Do you just place your printer on the base or is it fixed in some way not visible in the photos.

Again what a Great job and thanks for sharing with the rest of the forum.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My base and platen is constructed from ply wood with the platen running on HD draw runners. The drive is via toothed pulley and toothed drive belts. The dead pulley has a fairly large spring tensioner on it to keep the platen drive belt under steady tension.

Its not specific pulley sizes that I was interested in I can sort that easy enough to get the platen movement to be the same as the paper was. Its more just a couple of pictures of your final drive configuration and the setup of the positioning sensor configuration.

Read an interesting thread on here today about using eco solvent ink in the R1900 with a source of eco tolerant dampers and capping station for the R1900, which could open up additional possibilities for this design as it could print up to 40 inches long I believe. http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t123453-2.html#post763025

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't quite see how it could be harmful to the skin if printed on to cotton.

Surely once dry/cured all the solvent would be gone and you would only be left with the dye, even more so after the first wash (hopefully the dye will remain after washing) waiting with fingers crossed.

Jeff remember a few weeks back I sent you a link for solvent dampers for the R1900 and they were very low cost.

I like the look of this "It can be directly printed on the textile fibers of cotton, viscose, wool, blends, etc. without any pre-treatment with all piezoelectric and piezo printers" referring to their Pigment Ink For Digital Textile Printing, but I dont like this bit.... Minimum Order: 100 Kilogram !

·
Registered
156 Posts
My R1900 arrived today so looking forward to your report so I can get building.

Cant make up my mind about using white yet as been reading so many reports of blockages and I wont be printing very often so not sure if its worth the expense and bother.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.