T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a brand new shop and about to bid for my second job. I noticed some other shops mention a misprint rate in there order forms i guess so that the customer is advised to order a certain percentage more than what they need. This seems like a smart idea for me especially since I am a new shop and learning as I go.

How should misprints be covered with customers? Thanks for your help. this forum is great.

Alvarez

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Usually printers have a 2 or 3% misprint allowance. So if a customer wants 100 shirts, they need to buy 103 to be sure they get their 100. Many times they will get over what they really had to have because you won't misprint any.

Then, if you do misprint over the allowance, you credit them back for how many you misprinted over the allowance, or you print up what you misprinted at your expense.

The reason you are doing this is because you are getting the money upfront.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
THis is BS along with companies that say the shipping amount may not be right and a certain % is missing. (the exact wording and what its called escapes me right now)
I order 100 shirts I expect 100 shirts and 100 done right.
How about if your doc said hey he got 98% of the operation done but not all but we are within our percent rate. Or your mechanic. We got 95% of your engine back together right. Oh heres the extra parts and by the way we were in our screw up rate.

Mark

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
THis is BS along with companies that say the shipping amount may not be right and a certain % is missing. (the exact wording and what its called escapes me right now)
I order 100 shirts I expect 100 shirts and 100 done right.
How about if your doc said hey he got 98% of the operation done but not all but we are within our percent rate. Or your mechanic. We got 95% of your engine back together right. Oh heres the extra parts and by the way we were in our screw up rate.

Mark
Mark, it is t-shirts dude, nothing important. ;)

You don't have to have the same policy as other companies if you don't want, and then you have a selling point over your competition.

My contract printers have a misprint allowance and I don't have a problem with it. To me, no big deal because it is just t-shirts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The difference is in who supplies the shirts. You say your contract printer has a misprint allowance and they should, cause you are supplying the shirts not them and things do happen. But if you are talking about a customer going to a printer and ordering a 100 shirts that the printer is supplying then I agree with Mark, the printer should give the customer 100 good shirts regardless of what his/her misprints % was and you shouldn't tell the customer to buy 103 shirts.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The difference is in who supplies the shirts. You say your contract printer has a misprint allowance and they should, cause you are supplying the shirts not them and things do happen. But if you are talking about a customer going to a printer and ordering a 100 shirts that the printer is supplying then I agree with Mark, the printer should give the customer 100 good shirts regardless of what his/her misprints % was and you shouldn't tell the customer to buy 103 shirts.
That is a good point Kris, I didn't think of it that way. That makes very good sense now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kris. all the input has been helpful. Looking at it from the point of who supplies the shirts makes a lot of sense. Thanks a million

Alvarez

·
Registered
72 Posts
my interpretation of the misprint allowance is that you may actually receive a few shirts less than you order and you will not be charged for these, I do however build in a few extra shirts into the cost of the job and order appropriately. The % is just a buffer...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Of course they are tshirts. Thats why we are here :). BUT for some its THEIR LIVELY HOOD too. And I am talking about getting the shirts/prints all from a company. Not me providing shirts.

So how do you explain to your customer who ordered 100 shirts for the 100 kids that are coming to his grand opening or party you only have 94 shirts. ? Which 6 kids go home unhappy and hows your customer gonna feel about that ?

Be the last time I did business with you (meaning that printing company). But again they are only tshirts right. And its only business. Only your reputation not the printers since he's not dealing with your former customer.

If you counted them and know you are 4 short then put down the cig and get off tweeter and print my 4 shirts. I ordered a 100 or 75 or 2500 for a reason and I expect to get them. All of them and all done right.

I just find it so hard to believe that any decent run company would allow a policy like this or even think of having it.
Would you want to order 1000 shirts from your supplier and only get 900 for a rush order for a big time customer that could take you to the next level only to have it blown cuz of a misprint rate policy. Not me.

For some reason topic just gets to me. I don't know why.

Have a good one.
Mark

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Of course they are tshirts. Thats why we are here :). BUT for some its THEIR LIVELY HOOD too. And I am talking about getting the shirts/prints all from a company. Not me providing shirts.

So how do you explain to your customer who ordered 100 shirts for the 100 kids that are coming to his grand opening or party you only have 94 shirts. ? Which 6 kids go home unhappy and hows your customer gonna feel about that ?

Be the last time I did business with you (meaning that printing company). But again they are only tshirts right. And its only business. Only your reputation not the printers since he's not dealing with your former customer.

If you counted them and know you are 4 short then put down the cig and get off tweeter and print my 4 shirts. I ordered a 100 or 75 or 2500 for a reason and I expect to get them. All of them and all done right.

I just find it so hard to believe that any decent run company would allow a policy like this or even think of having it.
Would you want to order 1000 shirts from your supplier and only get 900 for a rush order for a big time customer that could take you to the next level only to have it blown cuz of a misprint rate policy. Not me.

For some reason topic just gets to me. I don't know why.

Have a good one.
Mark
All the printers I know, who are award winning printers and very well respected in the industry, have a misprint policy. I never thought of it, but it could be only for contract printing to clients supplying the garments. I don't know if you are a retail customer coming off the street if they have a misprint policy.

Kris' comments about contract printing made a lot of sense when the difference was pointed out. I just never have known different in my personal experience, and always had more garments than my exact needs shipped. I am a easy going person that does not let little things get to me. I decided the misprint thing was a little thing and never gave it a second thought after that, hence the "it's just t-shirts" comment. But now I have reformed my opinion on the topic. It makes sense for contract printing when the client is supplying the garments, but otherwise, I now say it is not a good policy anytime the printer is supplying the garments.

That is why I like this forum. You can always discuss issues and adapt and change according to new insightful information and thoughts that others present.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always caulcate the cost of ordering extra shirts into my cost of the print job. So if they want 100 shirts, I quote like they would be ordering 110 shirts and order 110 shirts but they will get 100 shirts. If I use 1 or 10 shirts due to misprints, then so be it. If I don't use them, then now I have 1-10 shirts that I can put my own logo on and use as self promos or have on hand just in case another persons order had 12 misprints.

I do agree, if they order 100, they should get 100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts