T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all,

I know I'm new to the design part of making transfers and I'm no expert on the computer so please excuse my ignorance in advance. This morning I designed a simple transfer that I wanted to print and try out but I have no idea how to "flip" or "mirror" the image to print on trans paper. I used Microsoft word to do the image (I'm brand new at playing around on Word too) and I have an hp psc 750 inkjet printer/scanner/copier. I dont see any way to do it with what I have. Am I right in assuming that I have to buy some software or download something that will allow me to do this? Maybe even a program that is especially for doing transfer design and printing? For now this is just a practice run and I cant afford to spend anything but would like to make several of these to advertise my name on some shirts at a rally in July.
My next question would be: once I AM able to do that flip and I want to do more and better quality transfers am I going to be spending a fortune on special ink.

Just trying to get started as cheaply as possible for now so that I can get some of my own ideas and artwork started out there in between all the stock transfers I do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think photodiver and rodney answered my question in another thread.
Can y'all tell me one more time here so I am sure. What would be the easiest and cheapest way to just get some quick text type transfers made on my PC. Just so i can mirror the image onto some decent transfer paper. They are just for me and the girls to wear at the up coming rally to advertise our name. After that I want to get more serious.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
For basic image workings (such as mirroring) I'd suggest Irfanview (www.irfanview.com). It's a very nice little free program that is great for resizing, flipping, change formats, etc.

For quality graphics, you might want to try the Gimp. It's a free program kind of like Photoshop that should do you fine for text at least. I'd suggest doing your images at 300DPI and printing at 720dpi.

For paper, I belive I've already recommended Transjet II (aka Magic Jet) to you; it's about the best stuff out there.

For ink, you'll need some kind of Pigmented ink. The quality inks don't really cost any more than the OEM inks, and you can save yourself even more (after the inital cost that is) by installing a bulk ink system. If you've got the right type of printer (Don't know there, I don't know printers very well) you can use the OEM Durabrite ink which is still good for all kinds of normal printing. The Magic Mix inks are even better and still print fine on most things - glossy papers being the exception (they won't dry on glossy paper).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Rick,

I agree with everything that Twinge says except one thing. The maximum I would print would be 360PDI not 720DPI. You want to try to imprint using the least about of ink as you can. This will help prevent the colors from running. Other than that I think Twinge is on the money....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks and Thanks.......... I downloaded the irfanview. It is extremely helpful. I wish I would have found that program and few months ago it would have saved me more than a few dollars and a LOT of time.

I've been working on one design (folded ribbon) and I couldn't get the design the way I wanted it. Using this software I just clicked a few times, now I can copy and cut my stencil.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Yeah, I've used and liked Irfanview for years. The only thing that's really annoying me about it right now is that it doesn't reset how many of something to print back to 1 after you print. I still haven't checked for a new version/in the options if I can fix it that way though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts