T-Shirt Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rodney, your press does not have any configurable power settings? You might be able to instruct it to consume less amps; it will force the machine to heat up slower, but better be working than not working at all...

Yesterday, I was trying to do some test t-shirts using the sample plastisol transfers that I've received and every time I tried to preheat my heat press, the power to my office went out.

So far I've received some great samples and information from First Edition, Transfer Express and Dowling Graphics.

I guess the heat press is pulling too much juice for my home office outlet, so I've called the electrician and he's coming by this afternoon to give me an estimate to get it working.

I'm not exactly sure what I should be asking him to do. I know the press is 20 amps, so I think I might need a dedicated plugin for it. Don't know the right electrical terminology :)

I searched through the forums and only found one post about not having enough power, I'm surprised it doesn't come up more for those working from home.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have that same problem. My house is about 70 years old, and until about a year ago, we still had fuses. My press is on the same line as my son's bedroom, so I can't press while he has his air conditioner running. We had the fuses converted to a circut box, but I didn't get the line upgraded enough. Well it's winter now, so that won't be an issue:), but pretty soon I'll have to have the electrician come back and run a dedicated line for the press. All this information has been very useful.

Thanks everyone!!

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Rodney, your press does not have any configurable power settings? You might be able to instruct it to consume less amps; it will force the machine to heat up slower, but better be working than not working at all...
Hmm, I don't think the hotronix presses have adjustable power settings.

I was able to get the house rewired, so it's working fine now. That's a great tip though.

Do you know which presses have configurable power settings? I don't think I've heard of that before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
just a quick question here

would a 15 x 15 with 1400w of output will work just fine on a decicated 15 ampere plug without electrical current loss.

im glad i saw this thread as i was about to get my first heat press from uscutter.im renting as well and just checked the circuit box and found out that all the outputs are dedicated 15 amp.

any advise would be very well appreciated

·
Registered
57 Posts
i mean i have outlets with 2 sockets on each.

i checked circuit box and foudn out that the couple of 30 amp beakers are connected to th laundry room and teh couple that has 40 amp in it are the ones in the garage.and everything else is 15 amp.

should i get 20 amp rated extensions to connect the heat presses inside the house?i dont want to work in teh garae during winter and it would be convenient for me if i will just use extensions that will be plugged from teh garage.or extension is a nono when talking about amps this high?

thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
update:

im torn into this matter i hope you can give me an advise

i bought a 16x20 heatpress than needs at least 20 amp boost of power.problem is,i only have a nema 6 50r 250v recepticle in my garage and im not sure what adapter i should use as my heat press has a standard plug size and will a normal step down 220-240v to 110-120v transformer is alright to use?:confused:

im renting the place to changing the panels would probably be out of the equation.

i hope someone can shed even an ounce of light that will help me get around this issue without getting myself shocked or our garage being burned.;)

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is still reading...

I came across this thread by accident and became a bit freaked out. I recently bought a Stahl's Hotronix Auto Clam 11x15 heat press, 120 volt. The manual says you need a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Well, I didn't know exactly what that meant and went ahead and ordered it and used it. I am set up in the garage. Someone in the house noticed the lights dimming when I was using the heat press. Uh, oh. Fatre reading this thread I looked at the breaker panel and discovered it was on a 15 amp circuit and there were several other rooms on it too. Uh oh, again. I am not in a position to have an electrician come in and fix things for me (not my house).

Long story short, I called the manufacturer (different # than the dealers and service techs) at Stahl's 1-800-727-8520 Figured they would be the best ones to talk to since they made it, right? Right after explaining the model and size I bought, the gentleman told me I do not need a full 20 amps. What?! Yay!! He said the 11x15 only needs 15 amps. I had seen the side of the press says 8.8 amps but what did I know about electrician type stuff (prior to today)? Well, the dumb manual is made for the Auto Clam, but all 3 sizes. The larger ones need 20 amps. But the 11x 5 does not.

I have to move from the garage to an outbuilding for a free 15 amp circuit but now I do not need to return the press and start again from square one. I know this won't apply to everyone, but it may help someone.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.