T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
It'll really depend on where your box is and how accessible your walls are. I've had to go around on the outside of the house for a few outlets because it was impractical to do otherwise (single story, slab, no attic).

You may also want to have him run a pair of circuits and either split that plug or put in a double (one for each circuit) that way you can have your press on one and other equipment on the other.

Look to spend around $500 for a licensed electrician.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks Terry, that helps as well. It'll be nice to be able to suggest to him exactly what's needed in "his" terms :)

When you say run a new set of wires down the wall, do you mean on the "inside" of the wall, or down the outside where I could see it?
Sparky(as we call them in the industry lol) should be able to fish the wires inside the wall. Depends on if there is fire stop blocking in the walls. If there is and they can't fish the wall, tell them to use wire mould.

This helps as well. Makes me wonder if I can get away with a 30 amp like T-Bot suggested :)
You would have to get Sparky to check what guage wire is run already and if it will handle the load pulling up to 30 amps.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
we installed 2 dedicated 20a circuits for 3 heat presses and an air compressor. Haven't had any problems since I did that.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
WOO HOO...I'm back in action!

Got a shiny new dedicated circuit for my heat press and it's working perfectly.

Can't wait to do my first presses of plastisol transfers!

Quick Question: Are teflon sheets the same on both sides (so it doesn't matter which one you use?)

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Lucy is right. Get a teflon pad protector for the bottom platten. Imprintables Warehouse has them to fit all sizes of machines and they are easier to clean than that hard rubbery stuff on them now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It cost me about $700. Because the way my house is laid out, they had to take a "round about" route to my main circuit box.
i was lucky enought to find a guy that sold me two 15x15 used mighty presses for $100. he gave me the deal because they didn't seem to be working right, and the 20 amp fuse kept tripping on the presses.

i found out that you can replace the built-in fuses on the presses (in my case, i called Stahls, the maker of the mighty press) and they sold me a replacement fuse for $18 ($27 after shipping).

as someone who thought originaly that i might need to hire an electrician to solve my heat press problems -- i just bring that up as something to check out before hiring an electrician. ;-)

cheers,
--A.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
i was lucky enought to find a guy that sold me two 15x15 used mighty presses for $100. he gave me the deal because they didn't seem to be working right, and the 20 amp fuse kept tripping on the presses.

i found out that you can replace the built-in fuses on the presses (in my case, i called Stahls, the maker of the mighty press) and they sold me a replacement fuse for $18 ($27 after shipping).

as someone who thought originaly that i might need to hire an electrician to solve my heat press problems -- i just bring that up as something to check out before hiring an electrician. ;-)

cheers,
--A.
Are you saying you can just change the fuse on the press to a lower amp and it will work with a normal plug?

Maybe it's different for the larger presses (mine is a 16 x 20)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you saying you can just change the fuse on the press to a lower amp and it will work with a normal plug?

Maybe it's different for the larger presses (mine is a 16 x 20)
Hey Rodney,
nope. what i've learned is that the fuses on these heat presses can get old, and then don't hold the amount of amps that they are designed/supposed to hold anymore.
the way my press was acting, i origonally thought i might need to rewire my home like you did -- but instead, by replacing my fuse with a fresh amp curcuit breaker, my press works fine at my home now.

does that make sense?

cheers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is the low down on electricity.
If you have a 20 amp breakr, you can have 100 receptacles hooked up in parallel. it is only what's plugged in to them that draws current.
for instance If I have 5 receptacles wired to a 20 amp breaker then I can have 20 amps of power being used at one time. Beings your heat press is pulling 14.5 amp that leaves5.5 amps that can be run at the same time. without the breaker tripping.
DO NOT BUY a 30 amp breaker to run a 20 amp machine. If your machine has a issue the machine will heat up and it will take that much more to trip it to shut it down.
Also 220v will use less electricity and save on your bill. Although it uses a different electrical set-up it will on draw 10 amps as opposed to drawing 14.5
I think everything needs to be wired 220v. Would save alot of money on electrical costs.
DO NOT use an extension cord either. They create current loss and give you a false reading on what temp your press is.
The longer the cord the more draw it has to give, not to mention the cord heats up and eventually will burn. Extension cords should be banned.
hope this helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just thought id jump in as I am having same problems with my newly purchased Stahs clam press 50x40. Based in the UK and the thing trips everything out. I have even used the plugs in the kitchen with no luck.

Is it a case of having to sort the electrics as the above posts mention, or could I get away chaging the fuse on the press?

I suppose the offshot of this is my neighbour is an electrician, so hopefully he wil be in a charitable mood :)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.