T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We sell some Ts to military and would like to market more to them.

Anyone out there know how/where we can get blank military T's in Gov't approved colors such as they wear in the service?

They dont go by Pantone, but certain military coded colors???

·
Registered
255 Posts
TeaseNeed said:
They dont go by Pantone, but certain military coded colors???
I did not know this, very interesting!
If you have a list of the approved colors you may call some distributors or wholesalers and ask them. Perhaps, someone here (that works on a military base, can help.)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Have you tried googling for a pantone guide anyway? They don't go by pantone, but that doesn't mean they don't happen to line up to it. There may be some kind of military to pantone conversion table.

You may be able to find a military related source, but I can't imagine the blanks would be cheap in that instance?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I did a bit of googling... there are all kinds of pantone colour guides for related things (official military business cards, national flags, state flags, etc.) but it does look like there is no equivalent for at least some of the colours. You might be able to find a couple with some deeper searching, but it looks like you're right about pantone being out.

How much does it actually matter though? You're talking about decorated apparel that will appeal to soldiers, not shirts they can wear as part of military uniform. It needs to be close (i.e. being a dull green isn't going to be enough), but does it really need to be 100% on? (not a rhetorical question, your target audience may care for that level of detail (pride in the details), I just know no other target audience would).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some searching on the FORUMS; which is awesome; I'm new.

It looks like someone posted that SOFFEE SHIRTS make military shirts. I'm going give them a call and also go to an Army-Navy and see what they have.

I might have this wrong, but there is a new US Army uniform with "foliage green" as the main color, and we've had some inquiries for this color.

I'll post anything I learn.

·
Registered
282 Posts
TeaseNeed said:
I did some searching on the FORUMS; which is awesome; I'm new.

It looks like someone posted that SOFFEE SHIRTS make military shirts. I'm going give them a call and also go to an Army-Navy and see what they have.

I might have this wrong, but there is a new US Army uniform with "foliage green" as the main color, and we've had some inquiries for this color.

I'll post anything I learn.
Its Soffe and they make some seriously lightweight 50/50 shirts. (I'm wearing one right now). Another supplier of military undershirts is Duke. Both are made in the USA.

I was thinking about printing on these type of shirts as well, but I couldn't find a wholesaler that went below $4.00 a shirt. (Which is steep to me...) I can get them on base for that much.

I was just in the PX at Fort Sam last month and the tan Duke undershirts that go with the new Army uniforms were all over the place. Ironically, the decorated shirts that they were selling there, not to be worn underneath a uniform, were all Gildan. They've got the colors, and you can get them for around $2.79 online. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
My favorite shirts to wear are 50/50 Rothco. Go to their website and request a free catalog. The catalog is ridiculously huge and covers every conceivable clothing type.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
If they are going to be decorated t-shirts, then they won't be able to wear them on the outside of their uniforms, so getting an approved color probably won't matter.

I've sold to lots of military units, and they were all looking for cool designs to wear UNDER their uniform.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
I've sold to lots of military units, and they were all looking for cool designs to wear UNDER their uniform.
Does that not seem... strange? :) I guess it's no different to painted nails under burkhas and so forth, but it's hard to know how to market to someone who is wearing clothing that isn't intended to be seen.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
but it's hard to know how to market to someone who is wearing clothing that isn't intended to be seen.
I think it's one of those personal things (or psychological things). There are lots of "rules" in the service. So if you can bend one and say something about yourself in the process, people take the chance. Plus, I guess people can see them after you get off work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Solmu said:
Does that not seem... strange? :) I guess it's no different to painted nails under burkhas and so forth, but it's hard to know how to market to someone who is wearing clothing that isn't intended to be seen.
In the AF there is a regulation dictating the size and location of a design on an undergarment. Most people go with just plain black shirts under their battle dress unis, but you can get unit shirts made up to promote esprit de corps.

Its easy to "get away" with not following this reg, because as you said, nobody can see your undergarments... but its a reg nonetheless. :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
RAHchills said:
In the AF there is a regulation dictating the size and location of a design on an undergarment.
Fair enough - I had just assumed that decorated garments would be out, and therefore that the colour wouldn't need to be precise (just close). But that would mean if you used the right shirt, designed within parameters, etc. that you could wear it.

You learn something new everyday, so that's one less assumption I'll make next time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Solmu said:
Fair enough - I had just assumed that decorated garments would be out, and therefore that the colour wouldn't need to be precise (just close). But that would mean if you used the right shirt, designed within parameters, etc. that you could wear it.

You learn something new everyday, so that's one less assumption I'll make next time.
I just re-read one of your earlier posts, Lewis and I may not have fully understood the original question of the thread...

If one were to be looking for shirts made up of "military colors" then I'd go with Gildan. As I said earlier, they've got the colors and are cheap enough. Plus AAFES is selling decorated Gildan shirts at their exchanges.

If one were to want to buy blanks that servicemembers can wear under their uniforms, then you really only need to go with tan, brown, or black depending on the service you're targeting. I'd recommend a lightweight shirt.

Just wanted to make that clear... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
RAHchills said:
If one were to want to buy blanks that servicemembers can wear under their uniforms, then you really only need to go with tan, brown, or black depending on the service you're targeting. I'd recommend a lightweight shirt.
Since the original poster asked for "Gov't approved colors" I assumed (there's that word again :() that they wanted shirts that met uniform regulations.

Does that mean there aren't much in the way of uniform regulations for undershirts? (i.e. tan is fine, it doesn't need to be a specific tan, etc.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Solmu said:
Does that mean there aren't much in the way of uniform regulations for undershirts? (i.e. tan is fine, it doesn't need to be a specific tan, etc.)
In my experience brown and black haven't been specifically defined. It just needs to be brown or black. ;)

We're not authorized to wear tan undershirts, so I can't help you with that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If they are going to be decorated t-shirts, then they won't be able to wear them on the outside of their uniforms, so getting an approved color probably won't matter.

How did you get to sell to military units? I am looking into starting a business to sell certain apparel to military bases but was under the impression I needed to go through the process of becoming an officially approved military vendor. Did you have to do that? Can you give me any tips or steps to help me out? I want to make sure I do everything right before I jump in. If there is a way to sell to them without that approval process, please let me know about that as well. Thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts