T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My name is Lance and I'm new to this t-shirt business. I have trademarked the name MIKE HAWK and plan on producing ****rs involving the name. I have over 200 designs in mind and plan on having fun with the idea. Not to mention a few bucks working from home.
I will start from my garage (this week) using, an 11X15 Stahls press, 50/50 blend black ****rts, white ThermoFlex Plus vinyl and my friend will CAD CUT my designs. I purchased several clip-art CDs for vinly cutting. I hope to produce some nice, detailed shirts complete with the little trademark (R) behind every MIKE HAWK..
thanks and good luck to all, Lance

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
MIKEHAWK said:
I have trademarked the name MIKE HAWK and plan on producing ****rs involving the name.
You've applied for a trademark, or you've already successfully obtained it?

(hmm, simply checking the tm database suggests you've obtained it?)

I could see the owner of that name making more money sueing people for trademark infringement than they would printing shirts :D (and that's not to say they wouldn't make plenty of money with the shirts, either)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.. I spent the $$$$ and filed for a US Federal Trademark. I've printed and sold 10 shirts thru a friend and think I'm on my way to something, more than a fun hobby.

I don't plan to sue anyone. If they print and sell a few here and there it's OK with me. WHY? Because my shirts will be FAR better than anyone ever expected.
I have big plans for Mike Hawk. Mike Hawk might even reach Austraila. LOL
Do you think they will sell down under? Mike Hawk down under? How bout one of those? LOL Too much fun!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
MIKEHAWK said:
I don't plan to sue anyone. If they print and sell a few here and there it's OK with me.
It's my understanding that to maintain a trademark you have to legally enforce it - i.e. sue people or lose the mark. I could be wrong about that, but that is my understanding.

MIKEHAWK said:
I have big plans for Mike Hawk. Mike Hawk might even reach Austraila. LOL
Do you think they will sell down under? Mike Hawk down under? How bout one of those? LOL Too much fun!
Ha, it's obvious you're having a lot of fun with this. Nice to see someone starting a company they enjoy every minute of.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to my attorney. I need to sell my product across state lines. Which I did... Thus, it went from an INTENT TO USE trademark to an ACTIVE trademark in the USA...

He said... It was active the day he filed it for me. Reguardless of anyone using the name. It's all retro active to the date it was filed and recieved. Once you file a trademark it's yours. You must renew it as needed.
Unless someone filed before you. It's that simple.
I may be wrong but I doubt it. It was the first thing I did.. Long before I ever produced a shirt. I suggest it to anyone planning on using a name over and over..
The trademark alone may end up being worth more than you ever expected. Call it a $700 lottery ticket. If you pick the right numbers? Who knows what might happen.
Yes I can sue depending on the situation. But from here on out Mike Hawk is mine....
The name is endless. I have over 300 shirt designs already. I can see over a million potential customers out there and that's just a start. Now I have to get busy. I have over 100 orders already and I'm only 3 weeks into this idea. Do the math...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Cool. The advice of your lawyer is infinitely better than some random schmo (me) on the internet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to say, I was sitting here thinking what the hell am I missing by reading your first post and the first reply. I am embarassed to say I even googled Mike Hawk... As I am sitting here trying to find something in the results I ask my husband, who is a little more "with it" than me and he starts hysterical laughing...

You got me good! Great laughs tonight! Thanks and good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See that's whats sooooo cool about the name Mike Hawk. You can put it on shirts and not offend anyone. Unless they read it out loud in front of thier kids.
My first shirt read "Have you seen Mike Hawk?"
I was wearing it in the grocery store and the cashier almost had to leave because she was laughing SO hard. It was comical to say the least and I knew I was onto something...
I have a few girls working on their favorite Hawk shirt sayings. The logo is in the works and the illustrations will put it all together.
Mr.(BIG) Johnson shirts have some real competition now. Mike Hawks in town.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO, those are not my shirts.

The first batch of shirts I had were black with white letters. They were outsourced and cost WAY too much to make. I sold them all in a matter of hours and will make my own this week.
I'm new at this. But my first run will be quality and VERY funny. My shirts will include illustrations with the text. Far better than any Mike Hawk shirt out there. I've seen a few and they are OK. I will set the standard for Mike Hawk. I always do. But sometimes HE makes the rules..He's kinda pushy...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post pictures probably on the 1st of April.. I hope to have 10 prototypes done by then, 50 of each.

I will take some pictures of the finished product. Get ready to laugh...

·
2,957 Posts
govtissues said:
I have to say, I was sitting here thinking what the hell am I missing by reading your first post and the first reply. I am embarassed to say I even googled Mike Hawk... As I am sitting here trying to find something in the results I ask my husband, who is a little more "with it" than me and he starts hysterical laughing...

You got me good! Great laughs tonight! Thanks and good luck
I did the exact same thing! I actually clicked on an "urban dictionary site" that explained it to me. Then I said "Oooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!"

Glad to see I wasn't by myself!

monkeylantern said:
Doesn't proof of continual long standing use beat a recent trademark?
I thought it did. If the person/persons that have been using it before the trademark was granted decided to sue, it could get very interesting.

After doing the search on the USPTO website, it looks like registration has not been granted. Application was just made March 15, 2006. So there's no guarantee that "Mike Hawk" will be trademarked by our new forum member, Lance.:( Especially if others that have been making money on it take issue with it!

MIKEHAWK said:
Hello,
My name is Lance and I'm new to this t-shirt business. I have trademarked the name MIKE HAWK and plan on producing ****rs involving the name.
I think you really need to have a talk with your attorney. I've seen in 2 different places on the forum where you said you have trademarked the name Mike Hawk. You need to understand the difference between "filing" for a trademark and being granted a registration number, which signifies "trademarked".

The trademark process can be very lenthy. Seeing that the filing date was so recent (less than 2 weeks ago), even if you are granted the mark, it could be anywhere from 6 months to a few years before you actually "own" Mike Hawk. Your lawyer should have explained this to you. So if I were you I would be having a face-to-face with my attorney, ASAP, to find out what the real deal is!

·
Registered
24 Posts
monkeylantern said:
Doesn't proof of continual long standing use beat a recent trademark?
That's a good question. The term Mike Hawk is as old as time. It falls in the same category with "Dick Hurtz", "Richard Cranium", "Dixie Wrecked", etc. I'm actually pretty sure I printed a Mike Hawk design for a wholesale customer years ago.

IMHO, trademarks like this are silly. Why not go and trademark "Mike Hunt" at the same time? :)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I would also have thought that trademarking what is essentially a name (which some cruel parents could have theoretically used...) a bad plan....as anyone called Mike Hawk, Mike Hunt, Mike Arona or whatever would automatically be allowed to use the name in whatever way they wish.

·
2,957 Posts
monkeylantern said:
I would also have thought that trademarking what is essentially a name (which some cruel parents could have theoretically used...) a bad plan....as anyone called Mike Hawk, Mike Hunt, Mike Arona or whatever would automatically be allowed to use the name in whatever way they wish.
That's also a good point. That could also be grounds for not issuing the trademark. Which is why I pointed out earlier that the name has not yet been trademarked. There has only been an application filed for a trademark.

Will the name get trademarked? Only time will tell!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Oh, it's like The Amazing Race, only without people, or a race.

I'm so excited for the outcome I was just sick a little into my mouth.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts