T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a used 16x20 Mighty Press.
The machine cuts off and reset button clicks off. The cable gets quite warm and after further inspecting the cable, I found that it
reads 18awg. I have been reading that this press requires 12 awg.
...does anyone know if that would be why the relay trips and the heat press shuts off? Thank you, Jeremy 馃樁

Registered
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a used 16x20 Mighty Press.
The machine cuts off and reset button clicks off. The cable gets quite warm and after further inspecting the cable, I found that it
reads 18awg. I have been reading that this press requires 12 awg.
...does anyone know if that would be why the relay trips and the heat press shuts off? Thank you, Jeremy 馃樁
18 gauge conductors in the power cable are too thin. If I recall, that press draws about 13 amps or so. I'll bet a previous owner replaced it with an underrated power cord.

That may not be your only problem, however. I would call Stahl's tech support. It doesn't matter that you are not the original owner, they will help you solve the problem. Tom has been very helpful in troubleshooting a few issues on my old Mighty press. Let us know how you make out!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke with Tom at Stahls'. He was very knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
I've learned that the Mighty Press and some of the components of my particular machine are discontinued but are in fact available to order through Stahl's directly.

I need a 14awg- $11 (..comes standard with machine).
A new breaker- $22 (due to possible weakness from constant tripping).
- I will be replacing both. I am also pleased to see the prices a bit lower than I had expected.

Thank you Stefano for your reply and info.
I have learned a lot through just reading threads - now a little hands on experience... so the journey begins!

Registered
I spoke with Tom at Stahls'. He was very knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
I've learned that the Mighty Press and some of the components of my particular machine are discontinued but are in fact available to order through Stahl's directly.

I need a 14awg- $11 (..comes standard with machine).
A new breaker- $22 (due to possible weakness from constant tripping).
- I will be replacing both. I am also pleased to see the prices a bit lower than I had expected.

Thank you Stefano for your reply and info.
I have learned a lot through just reading threads - now a little hands on experience... so the journey begins!
Jeremy,
I'm glad to hear that Tom got you on track. He's been there many years and has a wealth of information. A tip he passed on to me when my 10 year old Mighty gave me pressing problems:

On larger designs, one corner seemed to be applying less pressure. Tom correctly guessed it was the right front. He suggested I remove the two bolts under the bottom platen and rotate it 180 degrees. Over the years, the silicone pad wears unevenly due to differences in pressure between the front and rear of the clam shell design. I will still need to replace the pad ($150) at some point but that will fix the issue for a while.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.