T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Mighty Press on Craigslist for $150, though it is from 1994. Does anyone have any suggestions here on whether this is a good buy or not? He said it is in good working condition. It is advertised as a 16x24, but from what i've seen, the largest size made is a 16x20. Here are a few pictures of it:

I dont have the intention of making a high volume of shirts. I am just starting out, but I do not want to sacrifice much quality in the shirts I produce.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would buy it. $150 is not too much to risk on it.
I don't know if there are parts still available for it. But I think you can call the manufacturer and ask.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
If everything looks good and it works it does not sound bad. If you have a infared thermometer I would test the platen. Check it in multiple locations to make sure it works fine. Temp should be even across the whole plate.

Have you called Stahls to ask if the lifetime warranty on the platen is still good?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What key parts typically go bad on these and require replacing? Is it easy to replace the parts by one's self without much heat press knowledge?

·
Registered
985 Posts
What key parts typically go bad on these and require replacing? Is it easy to replace the parts by one's self without much heat press knowledge?
I should say the heating element is the one.
I don't know how easy is open the press. Never had one of those.
If you look at it, what do you see holding the parts together? rivets, screws?

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
We have been selling the Mighty Press since before 1994. I do not recall but it is possible that the heating element may not be a single piece as it is now. If it is not one piece then there is a possibility if it fails you would have cold spots. The size would be 16x20. It's probably worth taking a $150 risk if there is no shipping cost. Also, some of the parts might be outdated and no longer replaceable.

·
Registered
985 Posts
We have been selling the Mighty Press since before 1994. I do not recall but it is possible that the heating element may not be a single piece as it is now. If it is not one piece then there is a possibility if it fails you would have cold spots. The size would be 16x20. It's probably worth taking a $150 risk if there is no shipping cost. Also, some of the parts might be outdated and no longer replaceable.
Hi Ed, in the case it is a single heating element (which would be good) do you recall if it can be user serviceable? or "user friendly"?

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
The single heating eleemnt has a lifetime warrant for the original purchaser. We never had to replace one. The other parts are easy tor replace if they are still available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts