T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like print with silver ink. I want to have a high shine that lasts through washings. I heard that sealing with gloss or clear base will help the silver not tarnish after exposure to detergents.

Would straight curable reducer work as a clear base to seal metallic ink?

· Registered
2,986 Posts
I'd like print with silver ink. I want to have a high shine that lasts through washings. I heard that sealing with gloss or clear base will help the silver not tarnish after exposure to detergents.

Would straight curable reducer work as a clear base to seal metallic ink?
No. Curable reducer won't work for this at all.
You want to mix (well)in some HD clear base into your silver ink. Or, yes, you could print the HD clear on top of your silver ink.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Curable reducer won't work for this at all.
You want to mix (well)in some HD clear base into your silver ink. Or, yes, you could print the HD clear on top of your silver ink.
What ratio of clear base to silver ink? I want to avoid a loss of metallic opacity - i.e. I'm concerned about losing a continuous surface appearance and getting a more pitted look.
Mixing in the base seems easier but is there an appearance advantage to doing a separate screen with the clear to seal it?

· Registered
2,986 Posts
I just did a job with the silver and mixed in the hd clear.
I didn't use the scale on it, just eye-balled what looked good. Hmm, maybe 10% or so.
No, didn't lose any metallic look and personally, I think that mixing it into the silver is a better route.
Complete encompassing this way.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did a job with the silver and mixed in the hd clear.
I didn't use the scale on it, just eye-balled what looked good. Hmm, maybe 10% or so.
No, didn't lose any metallic look and personally, I think that mixing it into the silver is a better route.
Complete encompassing this way.
Thanks - sounds good. I will try that route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.