T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that metallic gold and silver are color options when flex printing a shirt on Spreadshirt. Is metallic gold resemblant of or the same thing as gold foil?
Example here:

Like that; will metallic gold/silver give me that kind of print?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am also looking for an answer to that question, and I was also wondering if you choose that option would it come out with foil. I think the above poster thought you were asking if that tee you showed as example was foil...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^Lol I thought the same thing. For future posters, I'm asking if the gold or silver metallic color options print out as gold/silver foil or something resembling it. Does anyone know? I want to print a black shirt with the "metallic gold" or a navy blue shirt with the "metallic silver".

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes that is foil or gold leaf as some call it. Easy to do but time consuming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And just to clairfy, you're not talking about the example I posted, but the actual metallic gold color option in the Spreadshirt designer, right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
And just to clairfy, you're not talking about the example I posted, but the actual metallic gold color option in the Spreadshirt designer, right?
Your example is foils or so it would appear. I do believe the spreadshirt prints are done with metalflake inks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is a Gold foil. If you are into foil, there are all kinds of foil available... black, clear, rainbow, red, blue, pink, green.... if you over use it on tees, it looks cheap but if you use the right amount at the right place, it looks great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is HUGE difference between metallic inks and gold foil.
I wanted gold foil but my screenprinter did not offer it.
He ordered metallic gold and silver- to put on black and brown tees.
The gold was so dull looking he put 2nd coat of gold shimmer which helped a little bit - but end product was NOT what I wanted- so am giving those shirts away.
On some color tees he used the silver metallic and that looked a little better. In both cases the metallic looked best with outlined designs and not solid areas. The gold foil can look stunning with solid areas- no comparison. I will continue to use the metallic for the pencil thin outline designs but try to find a screener who does gold foil in NJ. ****

A friend said she did hers at home. I saw a video on YouTube. Is the adhesive printed in advance or must it be done close to time of pressing the foil?
Can the adhesive be printed onto sheets and done as orders come in?

LEO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Metalic inks, whether gold, silver or copper on specialty inks! Foil comes in several colors , as well. The print you displayed looks like it could be done with either effect. Technique is all determined by the art itself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would say no. The foil gives you a mirror like finish where the gold and silver give you a more of a shimmer effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, im new here, and i have a question? paano ba magprint ng t-shirt metallic colors??pls give me a steps plzz..and anong bibilhin ko na gmit po??

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Guys, im new here, and i have a question? paano ba magprint ng t-shirt metallic colors??pls give me a steps plzz..and anong bibilhin ko na gmit po??
Hi zjay, welcome to the t-shirt forums. We are required to post using the english language here so that everybody can understand what we're saying/asking.:)

To answer that question: if you have a cutter/plotter, you can use metallic vinyl flex and then use a heat press to "print" on the shirt. I think this is the method used by Spreadshirt on their made-to-order tees. Of course, your screen printer can also use metallic foils and you would get a fairly similar look (metallic).

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's no debate that's foil on the sample shirt, the question was whether metallic inks look the same as foil on a shirt. The answer is "no." You won't achieve the same lustre as foil. Wilflex makes a highly reflective silver that looks very cool, but the liquid silver and liquid gold are much more dull, and lose even more lustre over time. Foil, however, is a major pain in the ***. And, "yes" you need to apply your adhesive immediately before applying foil, then cure the two together like regular plastisol.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
There's no debate that's foil on the sample shirt, the question was whether metallic inks look the same as foil on a shirt. The answer is "no." You won't achieve the same lustre as foil. Wilflex makes a highly reflective silver that looks very cool, but the liquid silver and liquid gold are much more dull, and lose even more lustre over time. Foil, however, is a major pain in the ***. And, "yes" you need to apply your adhesive immediately before applying foil, then cure the two together like regular plastisol.
I thought the thread starter wanted some answers for this:

^Lol I thought the same thing. For future posters, I'm asking if the gold or silver metallic color options print out as gold/silver foil or something resembling it. Does anyone know? I want to print a black shirt with the "metallic gold" or a navy blue shirt with the "metallic silver".
On the spreadshirt site: FAQs - Design and sell your own t shirts : Spreadshirt
they describe their special flex print as "a smooth and glistening surface". I think this is the gold or silver metallic color option that the original poster was inquiring about. And yes, you're correct, it's really different from the "metallic textile paints" used by screen printers, but is very similar to the metallic foils used also by screenprinters (screenprint the adhesive-apply foil-rip excess foil).

I think spreadshirt uses Flex from Forever Germany ( Forever Digital Transfer Applications Technology ). Looking at their Flex and Flock color options here: FAQs - Design and sell your own t shirts : Spreadshirt
they are the same colors being offered by Forever here:
[media]http://www.forever-ots.com/sturm/dbdateien/artikel/bilder/20_bild_2_mittel.png[/media]
and here:
[media]http://www.forever-ots.com/sturm/dbdateien/artikel/bilder/143_bild_2_mittel.png[/media]

Off course, in addition to Forever's flex & flock lineup, they might also be using other vinyl materials from other manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts