T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: If this should be in the equipment subforum, I apologize. I'm trying to delete this post and move it over there, but I have no idea how to do so.

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the world of screen printing. Been looking around the boards a little but I figured it would be best to ask about my specific design before I bought/tried anything.

Basically I'm trying to print a few shirts for my friends and I. I haven't had too much luck with heat transfers. The shirts are going to have stills from movies on them; based on information I've found on here, I'm guessing that making the image a halftone would be the best course of action.

For the first print I came up with this:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad184/EdwardBenedetto/Screenshot2010-04-30at91251PM.png

300 dpi, 35 lpi. Some threads I've checked say that I could most likely get by with a 110 mesh, some say like...280? I've only screened very simple images before and I'm very confused as to how to determine mesh count needed. I'm going to be using generic fabric printing ink that I got at a local art store and hand screening them if it makes any sort of difference.

Could I go 110, maybe a little higher, or do I have to go into the 300 range?

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
The image you posted has a halftone. The mesh count is determined by your halftone screen. The 35 lpi is the indicator. Typically, you would divide the mesh count by 4.5 and that would be the max lpi you would use. If you have a 22.5˚ angle instead of 45 and an elliptical dot pattern, you can use a higher lpi. It appears as if you have a round dot with a 45˚ angle. If you have the films already, then you would want to reverse your formula. So you would multiply 4.5 x 35 lpi and this would be your mesh, so around 158. Any mesh count very close to that range would work fine. Some people use 4 and others use 5, I've found 4.5 works well and pushes it a little more and doesn't give the dreaded moire pattern.

It does appear that you already have a pattern in your image, would most likely is due to a low resolution file. I also assume it's low resolution just for viewing purposes (on the internet), but the 300dpi image doesn't have this pattern. Of course, it's only an assumption!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thank you for the fast response!

Yes, the image is larger than it's going to be on the t-shirt, which explains the odd pattern going on.

I'll try 160, thank you so much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts