T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am designing a website with html, but cannot figure out how to implement a Members Only section where the viewer has to sign up with a username and password to view the specific page.

Is there a simple html code I can plug in? Or program I can download?

·
Registered
767 Posts
you can not do that with an HTML site. You need PHP code with a database because the usernames and passwords are stored in the database and php code checks and verifies the user everytimr they log in. The good news is that MOST shopping cart softwares have this ability and are already written in php. There is,however going to be a big learning curve with switching to php but it is also nessecary to us if you want a succesfull store and just a static HTML site.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
There are a few ways this can be done. As Lindsay recommended, a server side scripting language is the best. If you're planning on doing e-commerce and such there should be quite a few options out there that doesn't require much programming experience.

In days of old, people would use HTTP-AUTH. If you've been surfing around for a long time, you've probably seen the generic login screen. An example of this can be seen from one of the vendors I've purchasde polyresin statues and stuff from:
Welcome to USTitan

When you click on Online catalog it pops up a very generic box asking for a username and password. I do not recommend this method, but it is usually very easy to implement. How to enable this depends on what webserver is being used, but usually it's just a matter of uploading a file with usernames and passwords into a specially named file on the server.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.