T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guy's, I was hoping to get some help in regards to marketing specifically in Melbourne and Australia.
Basically so far I am on Ebay, facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, deviantart, behance, youtube, etsy, tumblr, reddit, I have a blog and my own website too.

I have done countless hours of research on this forum ( been fun I'm not pissing and moaning really ) and it appears that most of the info for marketing is based in the USA, I have read ebooks like fuel for design and have even started my own tattoo tshirts australia group on facebook but was wondering if anyone else felt compelled to open there wallet book of knowledge and throw a dog a bone and tell me of any other region specific places I can market my label on?

Oh I will be doing a stall at a market by the end of this year also ( just once a fortnight ) as I work like a bastard at my other job and don't have time to do anymore than that right now unfortunately.
Also I will have a stall at either this years or next years tattoo expo.

I have also tried google adwords campaigns and facebook ads and have even invested in that program called Social Interest Freak ( originally called Social Lead Freak ) with no sales just visitors. I believe I know mainly who my target audience is and where they hang out but I could always use some more help. I mainly target tattoo forums and facebook groups as well as people who show interest in tattoo tshirts/clothing etc.
Also in reading the Ebook Fuel For Design they give you a list of a bunch of tshirt blogs that they say you should tell them about your label and perhaps they will do a story on you and showcase some of your designs etc, my question is, is it really worth going to all that trouble seeing that all those tshirt blogs are in the USA and I'm in Melbourne? It's not that I don't think that America isn't a good place to sell some shirts, quite the opposite actually but in terms of starting out is it wiser to conquer your home town first before venturing into the international waters so to speak?
I have got fairly decent google rankings now that I tweeked my SEO after reading a bunch of stuff on here etc but still only getting a few people to my website a day, I had lots more people when I was running adwords and facebook ads but no sales and quite a few hundred dollars lighter in my back pocket now too.
I know there is no Holy Grail persay but I am open to anyone that has some advise or hints and can point me in the right direction as to how I can improve my label and my customers base.

Perhaps my designs just aren't up to par or my prices are too high for any real chance of success but I did my research and actually placed myself about middle ground of my competitors like affliction, Ed Hardy and now the defunct Remetee ( RIP. Todd Beard )
I await your honest and perhaps brutal opinion/advise.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Art for arts sake.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I saw your video on creating the shirts. It is awesome and gives you 2 things; 1- A story that is people can see your passion, and 2- A value proposition. Your shirts are custom. That will justify the price.

I would have videos front and center on your website and an edited version at about 2 minutes for your Facebook Marketing campaign.

I would build your marketing on scarcity. Each design will only be created XX number of times and they will be numbered and signed with a certificate of authenticity. Now they go from just tshirts to wearable works of art. A higher value.

Then I would invite the local media into your shop and let them see how you make your shirts and get media exposure. You are doing something much different than just pulling ink. You are creating custom works of art. Use your video and create a press release. This is crack for a news director.

I would also do something completely crazy, but I would make sure the fabric I was using was the best possible with an eco twist, and then RAISE THE PRICE to 99 dollars per shirt. Change the value proposition from buying a garment to buying something collectible.

You will be avoiding the typical tshirt buyers and getting those that value high end goods. Go to the high end shopping part of town and see what rich people pay for clothes. You will be amazed.

You might send a couple shirts to the footy and rugby players. They are seen wearing your shirts you are going to create demand.

Lots of ways to go, but the most important is to reframe your business. Stop being a tshirt guy and start being an artist selling a product. It is way more lucrative.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks Teebird100, great advise and feedback, very much appreciated. Thanks also for taking the time to watch the video, I will be making more in the near future, ideally I would like a video for every shirt I have available in my store so people can actually see how it's made and the elements that go into it, ( not just another sweat shop Tee persay ). I like all your ideas and have actually thought about going down the high end road and actually did back in 2010 but hardly made a sale as I knew nothing about marketing back then. In 2010 I was selling the shirts for $79. I got disheartened and gave it away for a few years but this time I am determined to make it work as I just have so much fun doing it.
I have taken everything you said onboard and by this xmas I will have made the necessary changes to target more of the high end market.

Cheers bud.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just remember, going your own way is scary, but that you have gotten this far means that you are ahead of 94.6% of the people out there. (Statistics always looks good. :) )

I would dig around, when I was in Sydney in December I walked through the Kings Cross area. Surprised how upscale some of the shops were catering to the non traditional market. I really think you are tied into a great idea, and if you can get a foothold on the higher end shops and also direct, you will be able to earn enough to sustain the effort you are making.

Now kick *** and take no prisoners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts