T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using water-based inks and planning to shift this Matsui 301 eco series inks but I want to know more information before buying these inks. I asked the distributor here in Shanghai but their technical knowledge in screen printing is limited. I searched on this forum but I cannot find a good answer that I have in mind.

Although Matsui claimed that their inks are 100% eco-freindly and environmentally safe friendly,

Here's my questions:
1.) After discharging, does the by-product of Matsui discharge ink still safe?
2.) Have you guys experience some complaints from your customers regarding allergy, skin irritation etc.?
3.) I heard that these inks are acting like a plastisol and it needs heater to cure quickly, how about natural air dry how many minutes, hours?
4.) and lastly what are the pros & cons of using Matsui inks?

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
1.) I am not sure about this. The MSDS sheets have the health hazard as a 1.
2.) No
3.) Heat is required for the discharge process to work and for the ink to cure properly.
4.) Pros- soft hand, easy printability. Cons- same as all wb/discharge inks- must print quickly, discharge makes it hard to tell if you have a good print until it comes out of the dryer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I asked the distributor here near my area they said discharge ink is also safe they also have a test result to show to us but it's written in Chinese and I'm not Chinese so it's useless.

Unik Ink, does this MSDS sheet that you mention is the same as SGS test result? I'm just curious because here in Shanghai mostly t-shirt printing shop no idea about MSDS.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discharge is never eco friendly. I have heard of someone once having skin irritation from discharge. You can suggest to people to wash the shirt first before wearing. You'll need to properly cure discharge with a real oven. The regular non-opaque inks can probably air dry but that's not ideal.

cons- can dry and clog in the screen. Opaques can be a nightmare. Discharge is hard to see on the shirt so you don't know that you have a problem or a registration shift unless someone is watching the other side of the oven. Discharge picks up lint from the shirt really easily so it'll create a lot of "boogers" which you don't see at first because you can't see the discharge print on the shirt.

pros- little to no hand, cool effect, growing desire for this in the market, bright colors, can print wet on wet with discharge. No need for an underbase in many situations. I like working with it.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
matsui does have several types of inks, and I am quite uncertain which type the "matsui 301 eco series" is but thought that is matsui's long drying ink.

I have used a type of waterbased ink imported from Japan and as far as I can determine has the same type of characteristic as the matsui long drying inks. Some people suspected that they are matsui inks as local suppliers have a tendency to "rebrand". It is one of the ink I use and like the matsui long drying ink, it dries on the screen roughly on the 5th day.

At first I I monitored the "drying" or "screen clogging" hourly. Upto the next 2 days the ink did not clog the screen and is reasonably easy to wipe clean with a tissue. I lost track of the monitoring but Iit was on the 5th day that the ink really clogged the screen. Prior to this, about 24 hours earlier, the ink can still be removed with adequate mains pressure. I beleive I have read somewhere in this forum that the matsui long drying inks "dried" also on the fifth day but I am not sure about the climate differences.

Anyway, what I refer to as medium drying inks won't clog the screen in the course of normal printing. Actually, quick drying inks mist-sprayed with some water, or with some glycerin or urea added, won't clog the screen under normal printing conditions. Normal printing conditions being defined as a normal production run without prolonged work stoppage.

The link is practically empty. Still, any specific links?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts