T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope Im using the correct terminology. What Im looking for is the correct material to insert into say a sleeve for pressing. I have an oversized mousepad for doing uneven presses such as hoodies and bags. What I need is something to keep the sleeve straight and flat. A few of my designs will involve a full sleeve of art and text so keeping the sleeve straight is a real concern. Plus Im hoping to do sport jerseys and a good many of the logos end up on, yup you guessed it, the sleeve. Also, I havent used Plastisol. Will using something like a mousepad adversily affect the transfer? I know I havent posted many "in need of info" posts but when it rains, it pours.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
hammered said:
What Im looking for is the correct material to insert into say a sleeve for pressing.
When screenprinting on a table, I've just used medium thickness card (like mounting stock); so long as what you're using has some form and can withstand the temperatures it will be pressed at, and won't adhere to the t-shirt, I can't see there being a problem.

If the card is the width of the body/sleeve, then it prevents the shirt from moving and wrinkling. That's going to go doubly when it's in a heat press since the pre-press will get it nice and flat.

It's not like you're pressing a snake, so it shouldn't move around that much :) (you're mostly just trying to put something in there that will prevent even the slighest knock from moving it around).

hammered said:
Also, I havent used Plastisol. Will using something like a mousepad adversily affect the transfer?
I haven't used the transfers either, but don't see why it would. They have the same requirements as other transfers in terms of the area being flat, not pressing onto a marshmallow backing (i.e. you'll need some resistance), etc. The mousepad is under the cloth though, so unless the plastisol soaked through the shirt and adhered it to the pad (theoretically possible - in which case it would have adhered to whatever else was there such as the back of the t-shirt anyway) it shouldn't matter what's there.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Hi Dave you have the answer in front of you. Get another large mouse pad and cut it to fit your sleeves. By the way to keep my mouse pad stiff I use a piece of card board under it. You should have enough of the mouse pad to make a right and left sleeve insert.. gee I like that idea...Think I will do it also. I think I get my ideas answering other peoples questions. A little light bulb goes off. Also I am testing plastisol transfers. did some yesterday and more, different types today. I have several companies sending me some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts