T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been getting reviews from folks stating that they would buy my line if some of the shirts didnt say "detroit" on them..... i do have different themes in the line and decided to push the detroit stuff first....... but now i'm rethinking it.....

i could easily take the text out and make the print a 2 color print with just my industrial graphics and call it a day....then have the detroit edition stuff in the back on the catalog....

i have alot of support from detroit artists/musicians/etc.... so thats what i'm doing to push the line......

i have about 22 designs and 16 of them are "detroit texted" and the rest are more graphicial.....

i dont want to limit myself on the first impression when i send out my catalogs....people saying that "detroit' stuff wont sell/etc....... so i have to find a mid-point here......

or would it be stupid to sort of recycle 2 graphic types (1 has detroit and the other more universal 2 color)

any suggestions......i'm getting nervous here....

b

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
What's wrong with Detroit? People buy shirts that have New York or LA or Vegas splashed on them.

Are you getting these reactions from people on the internet or local people?

One thing I would suggest is that if you are going to do the Detroit angle you REALLY need to push it. Make people understand the history and meaning of the designs. Put "proudly made in Detroit" on your tags. Push for more local sales to try and get a good customer base going.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah... on my tags it says 'influenced by detroit"

i had the same arguement about seein other cats wearing nyc/boston/texas gear......

the only folks that will rock detroit stuff are the locals/suburbanites/ and the techno crowd....

considering that i'm the only line trying to tie the artists and promote them in the line.... i got a good foundation going....

but on the norm and for pushing the line into stores for retail.........

considering that the line will be more industrial than anything........ i figured the detroit push would be the best push to start with...

but with all the negativity with detroit/michigan at the moment..... not sure if pushing detroit gear would be keen right now....

b

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I think you should just keep at it. Marketing and sales are always an uphill battle. If you want you can put a few designs out there without the word Detriot on them, but try to keep everything with the same theme so you have a cohesive look to your brand.

You also really, really need more info on your website and (I assume) your marketing materials. Don't expect people to just "get it", you need to make them understand.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm working to separate my website...... it's been a struggle trying to tie all my work together..... but i think i need to redo the home page and link from there......

b

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
237, I'm hearing your dilemma. If you keep Detroit, you are cutting out part of your potential market, a broad range market. If you let Detroit go, you are alienating your roots and niche.

What I wonder is: Why can't you have the Detroit line on one site, and on another sister site, have the generic line? Cater to both markets, seperate from each other. Have your cake, and eat it, too. Is this feasible?

In business, it is very hard to pigeon hole yourself and turn away good sales, although sometimes that turns out to be the stroke of genius. Alot depends on how exclusive you want to brand yourself, I guess.

Another consideration is, is there enough money in the market in Detroit to support your business goals?

I do wish you luck with this decision, you are not in an easy spot. This choice will affect your future, tho, nothing is forever. You can adjust your business plan later if you really need to.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i have 9 themes in my line..... the detroit line is just one of them.... then i have an industrial line that will be more universal and no detroit text.....

i have to keep my roots with this..... it has what molded me through architecture school and my design ideas/etc...

plus i got tired of seeing the lame detroit gear out there...... when you hear detroit, i would think you would think of manufacturing since thats what the city was known for...... so i went the indutrial route..... the other lines dont have that "theme state"....... plus they all have the same "landmark" pics and nothing that really speaks....

i'm thinking that the next run of designs i'm gonna work on will be universal.....

just trying to make a punch hit harder with everything.... i have a good photographer, some hott models, some great support, and some unique ideas........ along with my youtube video.....

wish i had my own print shop so i could print when i need them....grrr

b

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Well it sounds you have it all thought out now... good luck to you 237. The decision part is the hardest part, it's great when you find that direction, and can put this part behind you. As usual, best wishes to you. I saw your youtube and liked it alot. Is that you making the models?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah.... i build professional models on the side.... been slow due to the economy but that was the main money getter....

i had a friend in chicago do my video..... he's prolly going to do my commercials once i get some funds.... hes on youtube...search for koneerok

i couldnt get the compression right to upload to youtube so it looks a bit pixelated...

b

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Wow, I'm going to watch it again now that I know that's you building them... get a better look. I love models like that. What a skill, never ceases to amaze me, models like that. I'll check out your friends YT's too... Hey, good talking to you and best of luck. Let us know 6 months from now how it all turned out... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts