T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i am new to screen printing but an avid photographer. I know about copy rights on photographs and copying them and such. It is basically illegal to make a profit off someone's art work that is not your own. So the crazy part about this is that the person wanting to copy the picture is not at fault but the company that profits off making the copy is at fault.

so here is what i am asking about. If i have a picture that i manipulate past photographic recognition in an artistic manner am i infringing copy rights?

i know that this seems to be a fairly popular topic

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would think that you are still infringing on copyrigt issues, even if you manipulate beyond recognition. You might get away with it but it becomes an ethical issue then. Parodies are the only acceptable method of altering known brands or works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Hey everyone, i am new to screen printing but an avid photographer. I know about copy rights on photographs and copying them and such. It is basically illegal to make a profit off someone's art work that is not your own. So the crazy part about this is that the person wanting to copy the picture is not at fault but the company that profits off making the copy is at fault.

so here is what i am asking about. If i have a picture that i manipulate past photographic recognition in an artistic manner am i infringing copy rights?

i know that this seems to be a fairly popular topic
Sorry, we really can't give you legal advice on copyright matters like this.

If we say, "sure, it's fine", you can probably still get sued.

You need to contact an attorney and get paid legal advice.

Even then, you can get sued if you decide to move foward, but at least in that situation, you have an attorney who has given you paid legal advice and who may be able to defend you in court.

There's not much we can do except give well meaning advice. If the advice is anything other than "talk to an attorney" or "don't do it", you could be putting your business and pocketbook at risk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.