T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with some suggestions here?

We're about to grow our transfer business in volume, but storage is becoming a looming problem.

Currently, we just have an open-top filing cabinet that handles our 12 x 12 sheets relatively well...
we're around 75 designs and there's some room to grow, but it's not ideal for various reasons.

- Does anyone have suggestions/links for wall units that hold paper larger than "legal" size?

- Where do newspaper companies get their furniture from?

How do you store thousands of designs without custom building?
We're a home operation, so we don't want to build something permanent.

I just can't find websites with the right kind of equipment...
it's all focused at "office storage", which is too small for heat transfers.

Any other suggestions/methods would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I use pizza boxes(from GFS). The boxes allow me to store them in stacks and the front of the box is a great place to write a description on. I found this to be easy access and storage. .... JB

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now, 12x12 is the largest...
we intend to increase the size for more artistic designs,
but that's a ways down the road.

Flat files are interesting...but they cost an arm and a leg.
And after some research into X-Ray storage, they assume you only want to store a few X-rays per folder...
so it holds 16,000 folders, but only about 5 transfers per folder. And at $4000/cabinet...forget it!

Pizza boxes sound the like deal...
but we would need to stack about 1000 of them in multiple columns about 5' high.

COEDS: Do you cut the flap in the front so you can get inside? Does this ruin the stability at all?

We would likely have stacks of 25 with a hundred transfers in each...so the weight would add up.
I'd hate to see a stack of 2500 transfers fall over! :mad:

Even so, pizza boxes...nifty idea!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I don't cut the front, I think that would weaken the structure. I mark the contents on the front and this allows me to find the right box and then pull it out and get the transfers. ...JB

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have one of the file cabinets that you store blue prints in. I love it. I ran across it at my local community college's surplus auction for five bucks. I would call around to a few in your area and see what they do with their old stuff. I'm in NC, so we also have a surplus website that has them sometimes.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have thousands of Transfers, stock and My Designs, biggest is like maybe 14x19,.
I get the plastic drawer containers , they kinda look like dressers,, at walmart, , i get the one that is really deep and very large, and stack them on each other, they are on wheels, each drawer has different transfers, Milatary,sports,hunting,baby,cold peel, dark only, light only, rhinetone, xxx, ect.. I mark the drawers with tape, and write on the tape so i can change it any time i want to,
I keep all the transfers in there plastic bags, with the instructions, if i felt it needed different heat, or time, or had a problem with one, i write on the plastic bag, anything I need to remember.
These drawer units, only cost maybe 13-15 dollars and then i get smaller ones, for screenprinting supplies,, rhinesones , vinyl,, that way all the tools i need for each process i am doing , is at hand and in the right place to wheel over to what i am working on,.
I hope this helps.;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get the plastic drawer containers , they kinda look like dressers,, at walmart, , i get the one that is really deep and very large, and stack them on each other...
Thanks, that's interesting too...

I did look at Walmart way back, but I don't remember anything big enough for 14 x 19...
I'll have to take a closer look, that was a couple years ago.

The other trick is that we're trying to keep everything inside the house,
so even though pizza boxes seem like a good idea...for as many as we need, it may become unruly (read: weird).

1000 pizza boxes inside the house is a viral web photo waiting to happen...
a couple months from now you're buddy will send you a photo to laugh/marvel at, that'll be my house with all the pizza boxes! :D

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I store them in my guest room. My mother in law came to visit and was really confuse about the 200 pizza boxes in the room. LOL.... JB

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I just measured my drawers,, and they are 15x24 inches, 3 big drawes in each one, and stack 3 high if you want they are also deep.7-8 inces,, i have not met a transfer yet I could not fit int here, but I am also intersted in pizza boxes,,
Jerry , Where do you get the pizza boxes from?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
... so even though pizza boxes seem like a good idea...for as many as we need, it may become unruly (read: weird). 1000 pizza boxes inside the house is a viral web photo waiting to happen...
Gives new meaning to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Speaking of which ... y'all quit talking about pizza ... it's making me want one. :D

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I'm sorry you are getting hungry.I won't mention the pizza box anymore, but a donut or cake box will not work. ...LOL ... JB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts