T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been planning on starting my own website that sells tees that people can choose what to write on them knd of like t shirt junkie but i would be offering more colors and shirt variations. how should i go about creating my website i am now veru good with coding and many people have suggested dreamweaver is it a good program?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: a few questions

You have 57 posts, you know better than to ask a question before searching! :mad::D

Dreamweaver is an excellent program and is recommended by many people on the forums (including me). I would definitely check it out.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
It sounds like you would need some sort of back-end programming to handle customization of the t-shirts by your customers.

Dreamweaver is a good program for designing, but it sounds like you'll need PHP/mysql or ASP to do something that allows people to customize and upload designs.

my own website that sells tees that people can choose what to write on them
If you are creating a service like cafepress (design and buy) or spreadshirt, or zazzle, you're going to be up against some big players. Hopefully you have a niche and marketing plan in mind to help you stand out from the big guys.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Someone posted a link once before that I saw, it was for a pre-made software program just for shirts. Sorry can't remember the thread it was in.

Terry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rodney said:
It sounds like you would need some sort of back-end programming to handle customization of the t-shirts by your customers.

Dreamweaver is a good program for designing, but it sounds like you'll need PHP/mysql or ASP to do something that allows people to customize and upload designs.

If you are creating a service like cafepress (design and buy) or spreadshirt, or zazzle, you're going to be up against some big players. Hopefully you have a niche and marketing plan in mind to help you stand out from the big guys.
well they wont be able to upload their own desgins.. strictly text

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RAHchills said:
lol

Fresh, do you have a particular market in mind?
WOULD THE MARKET WOULD BE ANYONE..WHETHER IT BE ADVERTISING FOR THEMSELVES A BAND OR JUST THE FEELING OF HAVING A SHIRT WITH YOUR OWN TEXT.

·
Registered
282 Posts
fresh said:
WOULD THE MARKET WOULD BE ANYONE..WHETHER IT BE ADVERTISING FOR THEMSELVES A BAND OR JUST THE FEELING OF HAVING A SHIRT WITH YOUR OWN TEXT.
So what will differentiate you from CafePress, Spreadshirt, or Zazzle? I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it, I'm just wondering what your angle is in providing a service that already exists and is pretty competitive?

·
Registered
66 Posts
RAHchills said:
So what will differentiate you from CafePress, Spreadshirt, or Zazzle? I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it, I'm just wondering what your angle is in providing a service that already exists and is pretty competitive?
from what i saw with cafepress you can customize a shirt but you upload your images or whatever. my site will be more like t-shirtjunkie.com you can just type in the text add things like hearts and its all on the site no uploading.also i will offer more types of tees colors and fonts.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
from what i saw with cafepress you can customize a shirt but you upload your images or whatever. my site will be more like t-shirtjunkie.com you can just type in the text add things like hearts and its all on the site no uploading.also i will offer more types of tees colors and fonts.
What you described is EXACTLY what Spreadshirt.com does with its spreadshirt designer. Any customer can type text, choose from uploaded vector graphics, a wide variety of garments and colors. Other online companies do the same thing.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but from the range of questions you've asked and the type of business you're looking to create, you may want to check out your competitors first and see if your budget will be able to pull it off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well this whole site is people talking about tees they make and t-shirt businesses they want to start and there are a lot of those on the web but that is not stopping anyone from still going for it..i just wanted to know if one can use dreamweaver for this type of website where people can type in there own text no uploading images.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You need to go to www.elance.com oranother site such as that and post the project you want. Let the coders figure it out for you. They have sites or programs already made up to show you I bet.

Terry

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
fresh said:
well this whole site is people talking about tees they make and t-shirt businesses they want to start and there are a lot of those on the web but that is not stopping anyone from still going for it..i just wanted to know if one can use dreamweaver for this type of website where people can type in there own text no uploading images.
Yes, of course you can use Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is just a conduit for coding.

Now, that fact you have to *ask* if you can use Dreamweaver suggests that you're not going to be able to put the site together yourself, so you'll have to hire someone to build it for you, which makes the question of whether to use Dreamweaver or not a little moot.

And there's a big difference between what you are aiming to do and what most here do. Most here sell unique designs (online and offline, but products you can't get anywhere else), or make up orders for events and functions etc. What you're trying to do is *exactly* like several big companies with $500,000 in equipment.

How are you going to compete? Be cheaper? Better customer service?

The problem is, these companies are very good at what they do, and I get the impression you may be a long way from gaining the skills you'd need to compete.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
well this whole site is people talking about tees they make and t-shirt businesses they want to start and there are a lot of those on the web but that is not stopping anyone from still going for it
Nobody wants to stop you from "going for it". This forum is here to help. However, sometimes help comes in the forum of sharing experience with others and asking hard questions to make sure the person fully understands the business model.

CafePress already existed, but Zazzle still started and was able to gain market share. CafePress and Zazzle existed, but spreadshirt started and was able to gain market share. Both those companies gained market share with a VERY large budget and lots of staff.

The questions you've asked have been about which method is the cheapest.

I think with the right niche or regional marketing, it's still possible to succeed. Heck, there are 100's of screen printers on the web doing OK.

Like badalou says often (badalouism #47 I believe it is :)), you also have to have a business plan. I wouldn't feel right just giving out answers on all the equipment without asking about the business side of things. I hate to see anybody fail. So my questions aren't to discourage you, but to get you thinking about how you will succeed.

i just wanted to know if one can use dreamweaver for this type of website where people can type in there own text no uploading images
To answer your question. No. Dreamweaver only designs the layout (look and feel) of the site. You'll need programming to handle people typing in text on a t-shirt and saving it and sending it to you so you know what to print. It could probably be done with a shopping cart like cubecart.com (free) with a little modification/editing, cubecart can ask for a text input when the customer is adding a product (t-shirt) to the shopping cart. This can tell you what to print on the t-shirt, but it wouldn't be interactive like the customer seeing the text on the t-shirt. That would require more backend programming like from the script linked to earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks rodney i know that it might be tough but i really think i can do seeing how i cant really put a site together i am most likely going to have to hire someone to do it but what i dont understand is how this would go about happening i know i can find one on the web or at school but once they put it together how would i maintain and update it would i need to know about computers ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.