T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a job requests that will require me to get at least 30-40 screens. Wanted to ask you guys out there if making my own would be worthwhile & cost effective. Also, I found a few online posts about people making and stretching their own and was wondering if tensions and tensionmeters are as crucial as what they tell us?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you're handy you can do it. Not the sort of thing I would slap together though.

Tension is very important, so buy or borrow a tension meter. And rather than stretch it yourself, buy 1 retensionable frame larger than the screens your making, get it up to tension and lay it over the screen your making, glue it. Wait until it dries, then cut it.

Viola! cheap screen stretcher

·
Administrator
14,640 Posts
If you are printing more than 1 color and registration is an issue, then tension is very crucial.

For the cost of 40 screens, and as long as you don't need all of them at the same time, you could invest in aluminum re-tensionable screen system. You would just have to weigh the cost benefits based on the particulars of this job.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are printing more than 1 color and registration is an issue, then tension is very crucial.
yeah each design avgs 4 colors some even 6 and yes i do need it all at a time due to the time given. I have also considered the idea of retensionable screens - question...in any case i would still need to have a tension meter correct? or are there retensionable screens out there that already had some sort of mechanism built in?

thanks!

·
Administrator
14,640 Posts
yeah each design avgs 4 colors some even 6 and yes i do need it all at a time due to the time given. I have also considered the idea of retensionable screens - question...in any case i would still need to have a tension meter correct? or are there retensionable screens out there that already had some sort of mechanism built in?

thanks!
I am not familiar with any built in systems. You would need a meter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You would need a tension meter...no retensionables come with something like that. I f you are doing 4-6 color stuff-tension is VERY important!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would need a tension meter...no retensionables come with something like that. I f you are doing 4-6 color stuff-tension is VERY important!
thanks guys. very informative. However, i've decided to try a hand at making one screen frame. It's a custom size and the place i go to don't have them stock. Just a quick question - what sort of glue should I use for the mesh? any brands out there or can i just use regular white glue or shoe glue or wood glue?

thanks again! I'll post pics when i get done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just a quick question - what sort of glue should I use for the mesh? any brands out there or can i just use regular white glue or shoe glue or wood glue?
You need to use some heavy-duty super glue type thing (Cyanoacrylate). There are kits that have what you need. I would stay way away from Elmers, as soon as it got wet... bye bye screen.

Ryonet Adhesive Screen Glue Kit

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
It can be stapled. But the screen won't hold as much tension, and the mesh can rip from the staples. Stapling is okay for low-end one colour work, but not ideal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts