T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Am new to screen printing. So far I love it. I'd to support myself doing this Have a question. Is it possible to live off of screen printing t shirts? Seems like there is a lot of competition with a small profit margin.
Do all of you live off of it or is it a side income/ hobby? (no disrespect intended I know you all work very hard just tryng to guage the possibilities.

thanks
Flames out

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hi
Am new to screen printing. So far I love it. I'd to support myself doing this Have a question. Is it possible to live off of screen printing t shirts? Seems like there is a lot of competition with a small profit margin.
Do all of you live off of it or is it a side income/ hobby? (no disrespect intended I know you all work very hard just tryng to guage the possibilities.

thanks
Flames out
It is absolutely possible!

Dedication, Quality and a Good Hustle are your keys...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Billy 100% definitely possible. It helps that you love it. I know people who get into it because they think, "everybody likes t-shirts and I have some clever ideas, maybe I can make some money." Some people succeed this way, but it's usually the people that love to print that have the longevity in the business.

I still work a part time job, printing shirts for another company, but gradually more of my own work is coming through, mostly through word of mouth.

Take the time too be the best screen printer you can be, market your shop well, and represent excellence. Figure out what it is you like most about screen printing and go straight to that, figure out every detail of it, and develop your own niche there, and people will appreciate what it is you do.

Inspirational words for the day.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
815 Posts
I agree with Billy 100% definitely possible. It helps that you love it. I know people who get into it because they think, "everybody likes t-shirts and I have some clever ideas, maybe I can make some money." Some people succeed this way, but it's usually the people that love to print that have the longevity in the business.

I still work a part time job, printing shirts for another company, but gradually more of my own work is coming through, mostly through word of mouth.

Take the time too be the best screen printer you can be, market your shop well, and represent excellence. Figure out what it is you like most about screen printing and go straight to that, figure out every detail of it, and develop your own niche there, and people will appreciate what it is you do.

Inspirational words for the day.

Cheers,
Mike
Well said Mike, you have to love it or it will show!

Look around and you will see the holes...
In our area it was the small business, sports and school clubs.

Find yours and people will spread the word for you. Don't get me wrong do your home work and advertise to your demographic...

And alway have fun!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd also suggest you go out and buy the book titled "Crush It" by Gary Vaynerchuk -- you won't be disappointed.

In fact, I found this youtube video of the guy -- watch his presentation and be prepared to be blown away. Your screen printing business can become the 900 pound gorilla if you're willing to "Crush It"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhqZ0RU95d4[/media]

Cartess Ross

·
Registered
7 Posts
Attention: Ross Cartess! When will the rest of my order arrive? This year, next month in March, 2012 will be a whole YEAR! still missing: the 50 t-shirts, the pre-made transfer designs, and the transfer catalogs and whatever else comes with the $834.00 bundle package.

Again, during the checkout nothing went through. So we were advise payment would be handle on your end. Sent the necessary information and transaction was made. Bank account showed the withdrawal of $834.00 in March, 2011. Only received the 16X20 Gecko Heat Press in late April and an online training course. Back in Oct, 2011 I was inform that the orders were coming from three different companies China being one of them. Nov 7, 2011 was the last time I heard anything from your rep. Please advise.... Let's MAN UP and DELIVER!!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
screen printing is a volume business more often than not, unless you're affliction getting $64 a shirt. are you going to print anything anyone wants that walks through the door or your own brand? either way, sure, you can make a living at it, but, like you said, it's very competitive. what you can do that your competition probably isn't doing, or probably doing poorly, is market research and advertise. i would avoid the temptation to be the cheapest in town or on the net.

like any other small business, it's a risk and it's not easy. that's why not everyone does it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts