T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how or where to find some plans. Trying to minimize the cost of branching out on my own. TIA.

·
Registered
86 Posts
macmediacs said:
Anybody know how or where to find some plans. Trying to minimize the cost of branching out on my own. TIA.
When I was first starting out I made one with a replacement panel from an infrared dryer. It was ugly but did the job. Nowadays they make less expensive flash units. here are a few links.
Afford-A-Flash Heaters
BlackFlash Units

The least expensive BlackFlash is 275 bones. That's 25 more than my previously mentioned infrared gig.

Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This seems kinda crazy.. but don't you think you might be able to take the old heating element out of a stove and build a unit to hold it? If it was possible you might even be able to incorporate the temp dial into the unit and adjust your temperature :)

Just a thought. I mean my flash dryer could probably cook a pizza

·
Registered
28 Posts
This seems kinda crazy.. but don't you think you might be able to take the old heating element out of a stove and build a unit to hold it? If it was possible you might even be able to incorporate the temp dial into the unit and adjust your temperature :)

Just a thought. I mean my flash dryer could probably cook a pizza
I like the creative thinking. I just don't have a spare stove around or the ingenuity to make it. I am also starting up and am looking for a flash dryer. My brother found one on ebay for $170 and I didn't bite. At the time I wasn't ready but now I wish I would have gotten it then. Speaking of that, I also have heard some not-so-good things about ebay. I myself have never had an issue on there. I have not sold, only purchased. Should I be leary?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gudday,
This is my first post response . I was looking for some details on how to make a heat cure unit for my Screen print hobby. I was sick of using a hair dryer, holding shirts in front of a gas heater and lots of other options. I saw this post which mentioned possible use of an oven element. Unlike the post, I happened to have an old stove in my driveway waiting for hard rubbish day. Firstly I'm surprised I didnt think of it before but the hint got me moving.
I demolished the stove, cut off the griller, cleaned it up a bit, did a bit of wiring to relocate the griller heat control, and gave it a try using the standard grill tray. It worked a treat.
Next I made a "conveyor" using a couple of round tubes, a couple of old bike chains, an old computer tape drive motor, a couple of micro switches to turn it off at end of travel, a tray to drag back and forth through the griller and my only purchase item,a double pole double throw switch to be able to reverse the motor.
I used it yesterday for the first time in anger and it was sensational.
For the flags that I do it is great. The next step will be to relocate the grill reflector to the other side of the element and mount the unit upside down without the conveyor on a mobile trolley to be able to wheel it over a shirt being printed to do a quick cure to be able to print some additional colours.
The attached pictures should give a pretty good idea.
Ive timed the transit through the griller to about 1 minute by choosing an appropriate voltage for the DC motor I had
Hope this helps someone else.
The price was certainly right, $2-50 for a switch and a bit of time.
Graham B

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
A cheap $40 1300 watt quatz halogen heater has worked well for me. When the platen is hot it takes about 12 sec to flash a A4 sized print. I joined 2 together and wired up a cheap motion sensor (just a sensor light type) so when I spin the platen it turns on. Cheap, 2600watt, auto on off, no warm up time. Works well. The timer is the only problem, the one I got adjusts from 7 sec to 16sec then 30+ so I need to find a better one.

Also if you are after a cheap vacuum set up for exposures just buy a $5 vacuum seal bag ( the type you store cloths, pillows etc in) a bit of black foam in ya screen and there ya go. 10 sec with a vacuum cleaner then your artwork is sucked to the screen. If the bag is half good it will hold the seal all day.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just buy a flash unit. It won't be worth it if your home-made one catches fire and burns your place down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Building upon what ufc1972 said, you can also wire a bunch of 500W halogen flood lights up and use that. Switches for each individual light AND a switch for all the lights means you can just flash the areas you need to.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dude Craigslist always has great deals on them I literally bought a whole shop with atlas equipment for get this $700 and that was before our recession so im sure you should be able to find a good deal now. But I have to admit that conveyor dryer that Graham made was pretty impressive....

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Polarbear, wow that's a really great idea! :)
Just a quick question though regarding the Halogen setup. I seems you've removed the glass protection. Do you leave them off? It it possible to still cure waterbased? It seems like the stem rising from the ink would ruin the bulb.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@Polarbear, wow that's a really great idea! :)
Just a quick question though regarding the Halogen setup. I seems you've removed the glass protection. Do you leave them off? It it possible to still cure waterbased? It seems like the stem rising from the ink would ruin the bulb.
I've never had any issues with steam, though I've never used this to cure only to flash the shirts.

I can see that maybe if curing you could theoretically get a buildup of steam trapped in the lights causing shorts... If this was a problem something simple like a fan blowing to the side to blow the steam away before it became and issue might help... though it might dry your ink too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah that makes sense to use for flashing...so i guess it probably would be better to go the oven element way for curing.
Thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
A heat gun and a heat press should do the trick. I'm pretty sure you can use a heat gun to flash and the heat press for a final cure for a small run. Plus you will always need that heat press for vinyl, ink, and foil transfers

·
Registered
182 Posts
for many who purchase flash dryers, and wonder why some people want to make them- consider this. For me to purchase a $150 used flash on ebay, it will cost me $191 to ship it here (Hawaii). for me to purchase a bottom line model new for $399, it costs about $145 to ship. Very frustrating, especially when you consider a flash dryer is basically a heating coil with an off/on switch- if they sold the parts, something you could build in 7th grade shop class

·
Registered
98 Posts
space heater works and so does the halogen trick (homeDepo has a rig for 30 with two 500 watt lights) but it gets tedius moving the stuff around on two color jobs. anyone know where I could get plans for a rolling base.. my arms get tired...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Karen, as you might be able to see in my picture I have my halogen setup attached to an old (STRONG) Monitor arm (the sort that used to hold up big CRTs) and it swings out and around. The only trouble I've found is I culdnt anchor it to the table and anchored it to a block of wood which was anchored to the table. Now my wood has a slight twist in it :p

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Polarbear, is your 6 x 500w halogen used for waterbased inks or plastisol or both? What is the distance off the shirt and how many seconds for flashing and for curing?

space heater works and so does the halogen trick (homeDepo has a rig for 30 with two 500 watt lights) but it gets tedius moving the stuff around on two color jobs. anyone know where I could get plans for a rolling base.. my arms get tired...
Why not a piece of plyboard with 4 caster wheels and fasten (the easiest) the legs of the lamps to this base?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts