T-Shirt Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am with Nick on this. A heat press can be added for a lot cheaper than an additional printer. A bottleneck in the cure time just means purchasing another press. I have two at the moment, but I am about to move one of my pneumatic presses in for pretreat once I decide on a pretreat machine.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Your cure times are off on these. AnaJet suggest 30-45 seconds for CMYK depending on temperature.
I would be careful of the short times with the elevated temps. It's much safer to count on 90 seconds. In my experience, the moisture will not "boil" out of the shirt until about 25-30 seconds in. If you have a shirt with little ink coverage it may cure AND you may scorch. With a lot of ink, you may under cure because as steam (212F) is escaping from one part of the shirt and preventing the pigments from reaching the cure temp in others. Environment and how pre-heated the bottom platten is will effect this. This means that shirts printed at the begining of a shift or in a cold humid room will need a longer dwell time.

always test, and test often.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
could it be the difference is with the higher viscosity inks that the mPower uses? there is less carrier to evaporate away. i cure all my shirts at 330 for 90 seconds as this has given me the best wash results, but our inks have more carrier in them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been curing my CMYK only for 40-45 seconds with good wash results so far. I should point out that I live in a dry west Texas climate. That is also with 3 to 4 washes. At your advice I am going to do some tests with 90 seconds. I do have to wonder if I will see the difference 10 or 15 washes later. I am very tempted to just go with 90 seconds to be safe for the long haul. I have a feeling that I will need to move my third press into the print room sooner than later to prevent bottle necking I go this route.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting post but i think cure times are not that important as once it's on the press you can just leave it, it is not taking up your time.
Bear in mind...
AnaJet, at trade shows, are always printing at 600dpi (or 300dpi)...
while Brother's G3 is USUALLY printing at 1200dpi.

Brother is showing off 'high quality' printing on the G3...
while AnaJet's MPower is using average quality to show you 'speed'...
both come at a price.

These companies have their marketing agendas...
and they're both playing against each others agenda...
so it's very relative... buyer beware!

;)

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
What about the part of the 10 hours per day talking with your customer to make the order.. and the part where you go to the cash the check out the customer, and the part of the day where you eat and go to the bathroom.. you can't really just print shirts every minute of the day and calculate the projected profit on that.
How about half of the day actually printing = 5 hours a day of actually printing.. cleaning machine, answering the phone, etc...
unless you have someone do that for you and pay them our of the t shirt printing ?
It is a great tool to have to add to a business, bring in more customers and keep the ones you have, but not something to make a living with.
We are kind of a one stop shop with engraving, dye sub, embroidery, sporting goods retail, etc.. and adding this will be a big bonus if they are reliable ?
Good point! I was away to barcelona spain so i did not read your post. My father was smoker. when I was around 4 years old. He call me and said "bring my cigarette" so brought to him. Then he said bring match so I did. Then he said bring ashtray so I did too. Dont get me wrong. He was greatest man Ever exist. He loved me a lot. Also I did. He passed away when I was very little by accident. After couple times of repeat I got smarter. When he said "peter bing cigarette for me" I brought cigarette, ashtray and match at once. He laugh big time and said You know how to save time and less work with bigger result. He gave me big hug and changes. It is same in Dtg.

Make sure your brain is moving too. I hope you are capable. Try to learn multi task. You seems can do one thing at a time person.
If multi task is not your thing ask your wife or gf. They are ten times better than you and I put together. Washing clothe, texting, cooking, cleaning, take care and feed big baby(us)and yelling at kids plus printing all at once. Speed is not all. You are all.
Napoleon said big gun is not victory. Big engine car does not win on race. Good driver does.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I puchased my MP5 towards the end of October and was told I would receive it by the end of December or the first week of January. I paid in full up front. I finally received the printer on February 17th and was given credit for free inks, etc. for the wait. That made it a little easier to take, but I still didn't like not being told the truth up front. So I get the printer in and set up and start printing shirts and was getting low on pretreatment. I have a big order to fulfill by Friday. I ordered ink and pretreatment yesterday and they should have been here by Friday, but I get an email saying my order is on hold because they are out of stock on the mpower inks. That's BS! I can't be waiting around again after I've had lots of customers waiting on the printer in the first place. I'll probably lose that order and a few more behind it. I wasn't told when the inks may be back in stock.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That totally sucks!!! No wonder my inks have not come in yet. A word to the wise though. Always, always have a set of backup inks just in case. As soon as you pull it from stock order and replace it. I've learned the hard way many times with my vinyl printer.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Just remember if you are going to stock extra white ink (which is used significantly more than CMYK), then you need to periodically agitate the white ink to prevent it from settling. Most of the dtg manufacturers have specific equipment that allows them to do this to their entire stock of white ink very easily.

Just something to consider.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are getting a halo around our prints. When we print on first side of shirt (front or back) then press it - then we print on other side, poof we get a halo around the print. We have tried verifying height adjustment - no change. All on white shirts. Any ideas.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We are getting a halo around our prints. When we print on first side of shirt (front or back) then press it - then we print on other side, poof we get a halo around the print. We have tried verifying height adjustment - no change. All on white shirts. Any ideas.
I havnt ran into that issue. But I would try sticking parchment paper between the shirt and see if you get the same halo effect. If you don't have a halo. I would check your heat settings. It could be too hot for a double sided print.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I havnt ran into that issue. But I would try sticking parchment paper between the shirt and see if you get the same halo effect. If you don't have a halo. I would check your heat settings. It could be too hot for a double sided print.
We are about to try a pillow on first heat. And another shirt will have lower temp (330).

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Rick,

Can you post a picture of what you are describing? That might help people better understand what is going on.

Also, what type of heat press do you have? Can you "dress the press"? This means can you slide only the top portion of the garment (i.e. the part that is printed) over the bottom platen on the heat press? That might help determine if the ink is blowing through the other side. Might also want to back off the pressure you are using on the heat press or pull back the volume on the ink. Some lighter weight garments are not able to hold the same amount of ink as a heavy weight garment. Same applies with a 50/50 shirt.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rick,

Can you post a picture of what you are describing? That might help people better understand what is going on.

Also, what type of heat press do you have? Can you "dress the press"? This means can you slide only the top portion of the garment (i.e. the part that is printed) over the bottom platen on the heat press? That might help determine if the ink is blowing through the other side. Might also want to back off the pressure you are using on the heat press or pull back the volume on the ink. Some lighter weight garments are not able to hold the same amount of ink as a heavy weight garment. Same applies with a 50/50 shirt.

Best wishes,

Mark
We dressed the shirt - took away the halo. But it was difficult to dress the shirt (burnt knuckles...). We will try low pressure next.

Re ink concentration - may not be an issue as the halo is there only on second side of shirt - regardless of which side is printed first. Plus we are printing red - so we have just figured out how to print red - we don't want to change that.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Rick,

Some of the heat presses handle the dressing of the press much easier. This is what the Hotronix Fusion presses are known for. However, not sure if the issue will be completely resolved with just less pressure and no dressing if the shirt can't hold that much ink. It would still be worth a try.

At least you are one step closer to finding an acceptable solution. Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
We dressed the shirt - took away the halo. But it was difficult to dress the shirt (burnt knuckles...). We will try low pressure next.

Re ink concentration - may not be an issue as the halo is there only on second side of shirt - regardless of which side is printed first. Plus we are printing red - so we have just figured out how to print red - we don't want to change that.
Low pressure worked with low heat - we also have a pillow inside the shirt (on heat press). However, ink is transferring to parchment paper. we are now trying more heat with higher pressure on the second side. Appears to work now.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts