T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally jumped to a web hosting.
Until now I've been using my own server stacked in a closet in my office. It is free (except the DNS service and domain name) but it has its complications. I have to have a computer on 24/7/365. Always have to be careful when doing any electrical work around the house so not to shut off the server, etc, etc.
So after reading in the forums I opted for Lunarpages.
$118 for two years.
When I had troubles installing Zencart, they were very helpful, when I called them on Saturday. Even when I solved the problem myself, they were responsive.
Never used cPanel before, and I like it.
So after all this blah blah , if you are still reading...did you ever use Lunarpages ? What is/was your experience?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Haha, I read the whole thing, Marcelo!! :D I have not used Lunarpages. Does this mean you no longer are using your own server? ?? :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kelly !!
No I am not using my own server anymore with my business web site.
One of my concerns was that in the Comcast agreement (yes, I read it, part of it, not all :) ) I was subscribing to the service for personal use. I just want to save myself of a headache. The second reason was that every time I wanted to "play" with my server installing upgrades, or simply messing around with it, I would have to restart it or shutting down (when adding more memory, upgrading hard disks, etc) for a while.
And what if I start making money with my business someday !!:eek: I better have a hosting that have IT personnel always watching my business.
Still using my old and reliable linux servers for my personal website and to backup my files.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've been using LunarPages for 3 years now, I have 6 sites hosted with them. Other than occasionally I get errors trying to get to my mail servers and usually only for a couple of minutes, I've had no complaints with them.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using LunarPages for 3 years now, I have 6 sites hosted with them. Other than occasionally I get errors trying to get to my mail servers and usually only for a couple of minutes, I've had no complaints with them.
It is good to know you are satisfied with their service.
So far, when I needed to contact customer service, they were helpful and friendly.
Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently signed up with Lunarpages and a friend is building my website for me (I got no skills...), but I'm looking to upgrade my site to a storefront in the next few months. Lunarpages recommends merchant services with PayAmerica.com, but I also use QuickBooks Pro and would appreciate a program that offers interoperability. I've signed up w/QuickBooks' basic cc service for phone and email orders. I know you're probably wondering if there's a question in here... (if anyone's still reading!!!): has anyone used PayAmerica.com or QuickBooks for online sales? Thanks much ~ Christine

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been using LP for a number of years now, at least 4. I currently have 6 or so different sites being hosted by them. I did stray for a year or two and switched to StartLogic. Their service was ok, but LP is wayyyyyyyyyy better.

Marcelo - hosting your own website is pretty cool huh? You're right, any kind of upgrades or other "tinkering" could possibly have a negative side effects. I am guessing you were running a windows server due to all the rebooting/restarting? There are a number of good reasons to rely on a 3rd party hosting company - security, security and security being the top 3 that i can think of. And even then, if there is a 0day hack released in whatever ecommerce package you're using, you may still be at risk. And lets not even get into storing CC#'s on the server. Anyways, good luck with your new web host, I have enjoyed LP over the years and I hope you do too!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I dont have lunarpages, but i have to say that cPanel was a SAVIOR for me.. It makes it SOO easy to keep and eye on your site and control things.. hehe.. thats what its controlPanel.

I do not believe that you can use QuickBooks merchant account with internet payments, HOWEVER Quickbooks is not really the bank supplying you with the merchant account.. figure out the bank that is associated with QB and figure out if they have internet merchant account..

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tshirtn00b said:
I am guessing you were running a windows server due to all the rebooting/restarting?
No, I was using SME server, very nice.
But there was time when I was messing around with it, and I got in trouble, last resort : restart.:)
Still using it for my personal web site, and for my files backup server.

I do not believe that you can use QuickBooks merchant account with internet payments, HOWEVER Quickbooks is not really the bank supplying you with the merchant account.. figure out the bank that is associated with QB and figure out if they have internet merchant account..
I think they do offer the service of credit card processing for e-commerce. I might be wrong thou.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently signed up with Lunarpages and a friend is building my website for me (I got no skills...), but I'm looking to upgrade my site to a storefront in the next few months. Lunarpages recommends merchant services with PayAmerica.com, but I also use QuickBooks Pro and would appreciate a program that offers interoperability. I've signed up w/QuickBooks' basic cc service for phone and email orders. I know you're probably wondering if there's a question in here... (if anyone's still reading!!!): has anyone used PayAmerica.com or QuickBooks for online sales? Thanks much ~ Christine
Hi Christine, I've never used PayAmerica, I use PayPal. Is is cheap and well known.
I think you should take a look at PayPal website.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
You are right.. here is the link to quickbooks cc for web stores
QuickBooks Merchant Services
And for all of my sites AND the people who i do web design for, i suggest hostmonster for their hosting. I love their customer service - it is definitely top notch (i tested them out last night) The also offer an ENTIRELY unlimited package which will allow your store to grow as much as you would like.. AND one click installs on common shopping carts

And for cc processing i use PayPal's website payment PRO account
This account costs $30/month but they work like a merchant account. with merchant accounts you need the bank account, the processor AND a secure gateway. All of those cost you money.. If you want a no money out of pocket way of setting up, you should definitely start with the paypal pro.. Its better than that paypal standard in that you integrate their processing into YOUR site so the customers neverHAVE to leave your site to pay and dont ever know that they are paying through paypal (because technically its not paypal) But they also can CHOOSE to pay with their paypal account if they want..

Their rates are not bad.. All processing companies take a portion.. some more than others.. I feel that paypal is up in the running along with the others..

I ALWAYS suggest them to people who are just starting out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts