T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ink that is low-cure straight out of the bucket, as my frequent small Qty printing would be too wasteful of ink if using low cure additives.

Target garments would be cotton/poly blend shirts in the range of 60/40 to 50/50 (Next Level and B+C). Both dark and light colors. Both heathers and solids. Maybe also some 80/20 and 50/50 hoodies, but that is a secondary consideration.

Just to make things interesting, no underbasing allowed, as I'm working with an existing set of over 100 screens that are currently printed with high-opacity water based. Will be printing on a manual press, so some nice smooth, creamy, and delicious PVC glop that can be printed through 160 - 200 mesh for a lighter hand. Oh, and a pony. Hey, I didn't ask for inexpensive, so I think I merit the pony :unsure:

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Looking for ink that is low-cure straight out of the bucket, as my frequent small Qty printing would be too wasteful of ink if using low cure additives.
The low cure additive is a better option in my opinion.
Plastisol does not go bad like the waterbased inks do.
It will stay usable for months with the low cure additive mixed in.
My guess is that all the low cure plastisols have the additive pre-mixed.

Will be printing on a manual press, so some nice smooth, creamy, and delicious PVC glop that can be printed through 160 - 200 mesh for a lighter hand.
As you probably know already, opaque inks are thicker, and the 230 mesh may be a bit too high.
With the additive method however, you could also add curable reducer, and then add 5-6% low cure additive to the combined mixture.

Low cure additive options:
Option 1:

Excalibur 550 series (130°C / 265°F)
Option 2:
International coatings 700HP series (135°C / 275°F)

Ready mixed options:
Option 1:

Total Ink Solutions ATHLETIC Series (135°C / 275°F)
Total Ink Solutions ELC Series (126°C / 260°F)
Option 2:
Sericol Flexitex FE (130°C / 265°F)
This is an interesting one.
It's basically just mixing plastisol bases (one clear and one white) for mixing your own pigments.
The white one can be added in the clear for making opaque inks.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks TABOB.

I'm looking for a shelf life more like years than months, as I'll have some colors I won't be using up quickly. TIS! I had forgotten the name of that one during all my bleary-eyed web surfing. The TIS ELC is where I saw mention of a 3 month shelf life. It was also one of the most frequently mentioned low cure inks in my "travels."

"IMPORTANT NOTE: This ink does have a shelf life of 3-4 months and is made on demand for clients, so all batches are fresh."

The other brands made no mention of shelf life, but I've put in inquiries with Monarch and One Stroke.

If all low-cure inks are indeed ticking time bombs, then the additive route would no doubt work out better for me, as at least then I control when the clock starts, as well as the size of the batch of ink.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts