T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in playing with vinyl printing and see that can get to be very costly up front. I just want to find a low cost printer solution so that I can print small sticker using vinyl.

Anyone have any insight on a small startup systme or a proceess I could checkout?

any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. You can get vinyl that will print up on a regular inkjet printer, but it is generally only available in white and is not UV protected, which means it is only suitable for indoor use.

That is probably the cheapest option, but I am certain that the people on here, will suggest other alternatives too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah I have thought of that. Using my epson and my XYRON machine to laminate it after put I thougth id like to go a little better than that. anyone kow of anything in the 2k ballpark that would ork for small er decals and short runs that would hold up to outdoor use?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
hmm you need solvent printer or thermal printer new ones your looking at for either 8 to 30 thous
Used more like 3000 ball park... when using like an epson with lam. you still might get 6 month outdoor life do to elements and fact lam. may not protect vinyl 100 percent from elements.
If you needed some done, I wholesale them time to time Pm me if you want :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm you need solvent printer or thermal printer new ones your looking at for either 8 to 30 thous
Used more like 3000 ball park... when using like an epson with lam. you still might get 6 month outdoor life do to elements and fact lam. may not protect vinyl 100 percent from elements.
If you needed some done, I wholesale them time to time Pm me if you want :)
\

so where would be a good place to start looking for a used solvent or thermal printer? and what machine in particulat whould I want to look to purchase to start out with?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Now here is a quick defierence between the two
Thermal will use ribbon and cost more to print with but benefits are:
smaller area needed
no fumes
solid colors will print
out door life of 5 years without laminating
usuually 15" width
can't do full color but spot colors
cheaper and less maintence for most part than a solvent print
also make sure if buy used get software with it

Solvent/eco solvent
has fumes that can be harzerdous so you will need ventalated room
can print larger and on all kind of media
cheaper ink wise
3 year outdoor life without lamination and add 3 to 5 with depending on condations
a lil pricer
must maintain daily but not as bad as DTG ha

To buy used look for Roland printer/Mutoh Falcons/ are usually good place to look
usually will range from 3 to 8 thous and ebay I bet will have some
Check out signs101.com and other sign forum where they got people selling these suckers
same goes for thermal printer

·
Registered
11 Posts
\

so where would be a good place to start looking for a used solvent or thermal printer? and what machine in particulat whould I want to look to purchase to start out with?
I have Mutoh Rockhopper, but I can't suggest that one. It just doesn't work steady enough.

I'll change that to Mimaki JV33 or Roland someday

1 - 11 of 11 Posts