T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week of Google and Yahoo pay-per-click traffic of several hundred visitors a day, we have yet to see a sale on our new T-shirt site.

Admittedly, we have not used landing pages for the most part, but even when we attempted to do so with "vintage shirts" directly into that category, we got no results.

Since we think the site's design and usability are acceptable, we are starting to wonder whether our products have no appeal. We consider this a rather expensive market research and are not sure who our target market is. Since we offer a variety of categories, we thought we might have a wide market to appeal to.

Although we know targeted keywords are effective, we also think that many buyers may be looking for T-shirts online but are not sure what they want until they find something that piques their interest. So we use general keywords like "T-shirts" or "Tees." Is this erroneous thinking?

We are not ready to give up just yet and view this as a puzzle that we need to solve. If you think you can help us focus on pieces of the puzzle that need attention, we would be grateful for your time and expertise.

Please take a look at our site and suggest how we might increase conversions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your website looks very clean and organized. Progressing thru your site was smooth. But in this industry, it is only a small piece of the puzzel. You have to get out there and sell yourself(and your t-shirts). You want to express yourself in a way that the viewer will want your shirts. Get more descriptive with your text. Intice the person into thinking they have to have this shirt.
You also want them to trust you. So include your phone number on your site. Plus put up any other ways they can contact you. Their gonna have questions to ask sometimes, and the easier they can contact you makes them feel better. Include any instant messanger names and at least 2 different email address.

Make your prices a little easier to see. Plus include all the shipping information on the same page as the product, so they dont have to click somewhere else to see it. Dont want them to feel like you are hiding that information.

Hope this helps!

Thomas

ps... dont use my site as an example! I need to pratice what I preach! :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Some shirts appear a muted grey green color which I like but in ordering they are only offered in blk or wht....why? At checkout...the price of one shirt shipped to me is $25.95 I wouldnt pay that price personally...think its a bit high. How long has your store been open? How are the shirts made? What makes your store different than 100,000 other stores? These are the questions you need to ask yourself. The layout is easy if not a bit repetitious and the cart works fine so that doesnt seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
good points guys.

just to add,

are all your shirts printed with your logo around the crew neck or in places where they are in your face ?

I find that a lot of consummers dont like that. Unless of course it is a Large Brand where the name itself sells the shirt and thats why they wear it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skulltshirts said:
You want to express yourself in a way that the viewer will want your shirts. Get more descriptive with your text. Intice the person into thinking they have to have this shirt.
Great point, but I'm not sure what I could write about a shirt other than to describe it. How do you sell a T-shirt, is I suppose what I am asking.

skulltshirts said:
You also want them to trust you. So include your phone number on your site. Plus put up any other ways they can contact you. Their gonna have questions to ask sometimes, and the easier they can contact you makes them feel better. Include any instant messanger names and at least 2 different email address.
I totally agree about the phone number. The problem is, I still work at my day job and can't really answer the phone. My "Contact Us" link is prominent on the left side and opens the email client software, ready to write email. Our physical address appears on the FAQ page, but perhaps customers don't look there...

Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T-BOT said:
I think it would help if some of the high detail graphics could be larger.

Like this one. Perhaps for the zoom, show the graphic only without the shirt.
Have you found that displaying a graphic without the shirt is effective? I thought perhaps people prefer to see the entire product. Showing only the graphic certainly would display the design more clearly.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Clinton said:
Have you found that displaying a graphic without the shirt is effective? I thought perhaps people prefer to see the entire product. Showing only the graphic certainly would display the design more clearly.
Thats what I mean, the shirt below is one of the designs on your site: ,http://www.swoosch.com/,
You can show the shirt as below, but on your ZOOM, show the graphic only. Same size image as the entire shirt.

(never seen that Moulin Rouge Shirt design anywhere tough)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
skulltshirts said:
Phone number is good, but not essential. If you don't have a phone number though, do at least have a physical address listed.

It depends on your customer base of course, but to me listing IM contact just sort of feels unprofessional (potentially useful and the quickest way to contact, but...). Then again, I consider almost anything associated with myspace unprofessional, yet movies are now using it as their primary advertised websites! Depends on your market, as always.

Whatever your market though, I really don't see any reason to list two email addresses in most cases, unless there is a definitive reason behind it (e.g. question about the products go to one email, questions about the company to another?).

Clinton said:
See, I personally like it better with just the design; I can picture it on a shirt well enough in my head. However, it does seem to be pretty important to have the images on-shirt at some level - I remember people mentioning it as much as tripled their sales when they made that switch in the past. That's one thing I'm working on adding to my site as I work on redesigning it.

What "level" it appears on is up to you. T-shirt Hell has the on-t-shirt images at the 1st level and both types at the 2nd level for example, whereas many sites (such as Busted Tees) have a design-only image 1st level and both 2nd level. (To clarify: By "level" I mean how deep you are browsing. 1st level is the front page or a category page, showing several shirts. 2nd level is the product page, with description/info. 3rd level would be a zoom-in very large picture.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think your site is easy to navigate with clear catagories and your shirts offer clean graphics. But the descriptions need to be more enticing. Currently, they just repeat what's on the shirt. Get more exciting, playful irreverent. Challenge your customers to think.

How long have you been live? From the site owners I've spoken to, no sales in the first or even second week is not uncommon for a new brand. What other marketing strategies have you used? Have you prepared any newsreleases for the print media?

I agree that a zoom feature displaying only the graphics would be a help.

If you are branding your product, you may want to consider using the swoosch logo from the shirt collar on the website banner for consistency and to drive the brand.

'cia
www.transl8t.com

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The website is good. Works well, easy to navigate. So, please don't take the follow list as 'I hate your crappy website', because it's good overall - just has a few (mostly minor) flaws =)

You have a horizontal scrollbar on 800x600 resolution. 10-20% of the Internet is still using this lower resolution, and you should try to work within that limitation if possible. Ideally, a site that stretches to fit most any resolution is best - ThinkGeek is a good example of this. This sort of 'liquid' layout can be difficult to implement, however.

Your navigation menu text color is light and a bit difficult to read; I would suggest a darker gray - maybe a #606060 (or darker) instead of your #A9A9A9. You may want to darken the logo text at the top as well.

Same with the text at the bottom of the page - you might go with a full black on the gray, and on the light blue as well.
The images at the top of the site should be clickable and link directly to the related t-shirt product page.

A little clarification in some areas of the help section couldn't hurt - for example, you say you will only charge sales tax if they are in the state your warehouse is in, but you don't say which state that actually is.

Your help file also links to an 'about us' page that you didn't set up (you made different pages, which are linked to on the left) - http://www.swoosch.com/aboutus.asp. You'll want to either switch out the link in the help or move the about or contact page(s) as appropriate.

You don't seem to be using the pages with your categories (160 per page??). If you aren't intending to have this in use, you should remove it (less stuff to look at on the page, faster loading)

I suggest reducing the quality on some of your images to reduce filesizes - and to increase dialup loading speed. The main offenders are the top 3 images (the people wearing the shirts), the top logo image, and the 'buy 3 get...' image.

Some bigger pictures for the 'zoomed-in' images would be a good idea; even the closest zoom is still pretty hard to see the details of the design.

That's all I've got, hopefully some of that helps.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Hi, here are some things you can do to help keep the web clean, this will also help with users/search engines.

Now you are not in the Google Index, get an established site to out-link to your site.

These are just a few observations/opinions:

Both URL's are the same page, you need to redirect one to the other:
http://www.swoosch.com/
http://www.swoosch.com/Default.asp

for typos, create a custom an error page, it redirects to another URL (same as above now you have 3 URL'S that are the same page:
http://www.swoosch.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

THE ABOVE IS DUPLICATE CONTENT/PAGES, SE MAY PENALIZE YOU FOR IT.

You need a custom 404 error page w/a 200 Header
http://www.swoosch.com/F

Code stuff:
You need a Doctype declarantion something like this:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>etc...

These Meta tags are not really necessary anymore:
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<meta name="GOOGLEBOT" content="INDEX, FOLLOW">

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Clinton said:
After a week of Google and Yahoo pay-per-click traffic of several hundred visitors a day, we have yet to see a sale on our new T-shirt site.
!
to be honest with you, 1 week of PPC is not long enough. It takes a while for networks to update and so on.

For PPC stuff, you really need to spend a lot of time (and money:rolleyes: ) making it work. The market sector you are in (t-shirt selling) is extremely competitive and you need to sell a lot of shirts to earn a living.

In some cases, you just need to advertise on 1 website that will send you not many visitors but buying visitors.

...good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Good as the advice you've been given is for improving your website, I think the lack of conversions could simply come back to one thing that hasn't been touched on much: the branding on your neckline is extremely ugly. I wouldn't wear a shirt with that on it if it was given to me for free, let alone pay a premium price for it. I think that alone could be costing you most of your sales.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your extensive input and for taking the time to critique the site. I'll definitely tend to the points you have raised.

I have finally discovered a very useful stat: length of time the average visitor spends navigating your site. At an average of 90 seconds, based on 3,000+ visitors, it is no wonder there are no sales. Whatever it is visitors are looking for, they are not finding it.

I urge you to use that stat for your site to examine its performance.

The impression in the first few seconds is extremely important and, apparently, my site is not convincing enough to invite further browsing.

It's time to rethink the entire site and to go back to the drawing board. It is never as easy as it seems at the beginning. :(

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Actually, I think, if done right, PPC should be converting right away. That's the beauty of it. If you spend money on the "right" keywords (be very specific, not general), with the "right" landing page (don't send them to your homepage), and the "right" bid amount, with the "right" ad text, you could be converting right away.

But as Lucy said, it does take some time and research to make sure you've got all the factors right.

You also have to analyze where your hundreds of visitors are coming from and why they are coming to the site? Are they myspace visitors that just happened to read a bulletin and are trying to figure out who sent it (not going to convert very well), or are 100's of visitors coming from your pay per click search engine listings for the right keywords and landing on the right page of your site?

For example, you could advertise your "terrorism blows" t-shirt with adwords and specifically target that shirt with keywords like "anti-terrorism t-shirt" "terrorism sucks t-shirt" "terrorism sucks" "terrorism blowns" "terrorism t-shirt" and then send the visitors directly to this page of your site so they can click add to cart right after being enticed to your site by your compelling ad copy:
http://www.swoosch.com/Terrorism_blows_tee_p/terrorism blows.htm

Also, the TITLE to this page should be more descriptive to what is on it:
http://www.swoosch.com/Terrorism_blows_tee_p/terrorism blows.htm

The title now is "Swoosch - T shirts with attitude. Original printed t shirts for every lifestyle."

Which doesn't tell people or search engines anything clear about what's on that specific page (since the same TITLE is on every page of the site).

Your TITLE tag on each page should be descriptive of what's on that specific page. It's one of the most important aspects of optimizing your site for search engines and people.

So that TITLE should change to something like:

"Terrorism Blows - anti-terrorism t-shirt from Swoosch - T-Shirts with attitude"

You may also want to give some estimate of your shipping charges on your individual t-shirt pages so customers don't have to go through the shopping cart just to find out how much shipping will be.

As mentioned above, your price point for that type t-shirts is above what most other sites charge for similar t-shirts. Add to that that you have very prominent branding (without first establishing your brand or convincing the shopper why they should wear or associate with that brand) makes that a big sticking point.

Another thing that is just as important is SIZING. Since the customers can't touch or try on your t-shirts and your return policy is only 10 days, customers may feel like they don't have enough INFORMATION to make their purchase. Sizing is very important, so you should put that information right on each product page or make it very accessible from all pages of the site.

You could relabel your FAQ, since it doesn't have a lot of questions. You should clearly label it as a return policy.

The light gray text on white background doesn't make your navigation menu (a super important part of the site) easy to read. It should stand out and be very clear to all levels of internet users that they are links and clickable (it's amazing what people won't click because they aren't sure they are supposed to or where it will take them).

I think the neckline branding and pricing could probably be your biggest issues that will be hurting your conversions.

The impression in the first few seconds is extremely important and, apparently, my site is not convincing enough to invite further browsing.
Or it could be that the surfer isn't finding what they were expecting when getting to your site. Which ties to another important stat. WHERE are those visitors coming from. If they were searching for something not related and found your site, it's clear to see why they would back out. If they were searching for a terrorism sucks t-shirt and landed o your terrorism blows t-shirt page, then it could be those other factors hurting the sale (price, heavy branding, sizing, etc)

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
One quick point I'd like to make is that the neckline branding doesn't work on all items, like the vintage poster-art tees. Anyone interested in vintage poster art (such as myself) is not going to want to see a sporty, slick, mod, commercial looking logo up there.

Perhaps this logo would be fine on items which feature original artwork, and fit with the style of the swoosh. On a vintage looking shirt, you could just print the company name very small beneatht the image, so that if people want to know where it came from, they can find it.

:)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Rodney...that one single review is the best...most well thought out responce and resource I have read here regarding sites. I think you should do all the site reviews first and last with as much insight as this one. I learn a great deal when you settle down and actually take the time to express something you know very well. Very well done my friend!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Solmu said:
Good as the advice you've been given is for improving your website, I think the lack of conversions could simply come back to one thing that hasn't been touched on much: the branding on your neckline is extremely ugly. I wouldn't wear a shirt with that on it if it was given to me for free, let alone pay a premium price for it. I think that alone could be costing you most of your sales.
Interestingly, some people found the logo around the collar rather original and cool. I guess it's subjective, but perhaps you're right. What step would you take instead if you wanted to brand your product?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts