T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So ready to launch our 6 designs that we have so far. Feels good knowing we pressed these ourselves rather than using an online supplier (no offense). Any whooo…we REALLY want to look into printing our own transfers for local orders. Just something about having the ability to print when needed with no wait time and multi colors.

A few questions….We don’t press a lot of light shirts, mostly darks. So I know opaque paper is needed, however, what is the best cost effective cutter that won’t break our bank starting off? I do plan on upgrading.

I am currently looking into getting an Epson WF printer and a CISS, but just stuck on a decent cutter at a reasonable cost that can cut our designs once printed. (especially wording). We do a lot of wording shirts with designs.

Any leads to a starter cutter? Most of our designs are under 11x11.

Oh and also, we would LOVE to have the option of printing vinyl decals. Would that be a separate cutter from the cutter we would use for the transfers once printed?

· Registered
838 Posts
If you are interested in being able to trade-up consider a Saga unit. You can trade them in for another cutter anytime in the future. There is a 15" unit available if that is really all you want to do however, the 24" units are more popular because 24" sign vinyl is by far the most common size.

Cutters cannot print unless you get a printer-cutter. Roland has a nice smaller printer-cutter unit that will allow you to print on vinyl and then cut it but it is significantly more expensive than just a cutter.

A vinyl cutter can cut any material with a release liner. Sign vinyl, heat transfer material, window tint, stencil material, etc. If you want to cut paper completely through you would need a stencil cutter for that. Stencil cutters are typically used in the garment industry to make paper stencils for patterns for clothes.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, once it's cut, you remove it from the paper backing and place on the garment. You can use a Heat Transfer Mask if you would like to make sure it doesn't curl. The mask is also beneficial if you have multiple pieces.
Thanks so much. Trying to wrap my head around the entire process. We don't want to be limited to just outsourcing our screen print transfers. Eventually we want to offer more and I feel getting a vinyl cutter will start that process. Slowly but we will get there :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.