T-Shirt Forums banner

Lost In Translation: DTG vs Screen

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sunnydayz 
#1 ·
Aloha! Newbie here who is completely lost in translation regarding process and pricing of DTG versus Screen Print.

My story: I produced a children's video. To expand (and to brand), I have decided to add infant tees and onesies to my product line.

My thoughts: To purchase blanks use a local printer. I'm thinking white, brown, and pink color tees/onesies.

My dilemma: My wonderful and most talented graphic designer has once again went above and beyond with his designs (the characters of the video) and created some wonderful designs. The two designs are 6-8 colors each. I would love to start small, let's say 25-50 of each design in 2-3 sizes and possibly color (ideally).

My questions: I've been scouring these posts, reading up on which would be the most cost effective way of having a well made quality tee. It seems to be DTG; however, let's say the tees take of, and I get into larger quantities.
Would it be weird to print via DTG, then change to Screen to accommodate the larger quantities?
Should I just go with Screen and stick with it no matter if I'm starting with smaller amounts?
I asked my artist to design around the number of colors (limit 3 or 4) to stick within budget. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Sorry for the long post...just overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Why even purchase a whole line to begin with? There's a bunch of fulfillment centers where you can buy one off's, or several samples, without having to go to a screen printer. If your brand takes off and then you're ordering in large quantities a screen printer would probably be the way to go, because you can spread your cost on the set-up fees over a larger number of products.

#4 ·
Thank you for your reply. I think going a fulfillment center may be the way to go for now. However, I would like to find a local printer (screen or dtg) in my area if possible. I don't mind going out of state though...just want some personal customer service and a company that will have some patience with a newbie like me!

#3 ·
I would start with the DTY then move on to screen printing.

BUT you also need to look at the costings and take in to account what it will cost you when/if it takes off. Depending on your target (wholesale/retail etc) you may want to cut back to 4 colours anyway, if your aiming high end then that is not likely to be an issue anyway.

Personally I would start with a "mini" business plan for this line/range. What is the target? what will they pay? how will the buy them? How will you provide/print them? Can you make it profitable?

I always like to start a new "venture" by planning it.. well usually anyway! Treat each line/theme/range like you would a new "product" in any business and make a business case for it then go for it!

#5 ·
Thanks for the information! You are so right about "the plan". It's so important because so many things can slip through the cracks! It's funny because I just wanted to print a line of shirts based on my characters of the dvd I produced, but I'm finding that this is a separate production iself: what shirts to chose, what print process to use, how and where to find a printer, how many should I make, etc.!!!

This forum is a lifesaver though!!!

#6 ·
You are more then welcome to post a post in the referrals section of the forum here, just make sure to list your location and exactly what you are wanting to do such as quantities and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.