T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone in tshirt land... am hoping to start small at home so wondering where to start.....currently just using paper from officeworks and ironing onto tshirts but wanting better outcomes and longer lasting prints....without going out immediately and spending a bomb wondering do i first start with a "GREAT" transfer paper (any reccomendations??)?
Just have hewlett packard printer (any suggestions to upgrade there??)
and then i wonder about iron-on vs using a heat press and then which one???
Aim is to get better tshirts than we get here in Aus for about $5each imported ... thinking that would like to prob get good Cotton t's imported from USA (any recomendations again??) .
Lots there but am very much a beginner so help me thru the 'lingo' if you could as reading some posts just leaves me thinging am i reading english?? thanks so much for lending me your time
KT:confused::)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
i first start with a "GREAT" transfer paper (any reccomendations??)?
Jet Pro SofStretch (referred to as JPSS here)

Just have hewlett packard printer (any suggestions to upgrade there??)
That printer *might* work with JPSS, but you'll probably want a printer that can print with pigment inks for heat transfers. The epson line is usually recommended. I think it's called C110 in Australia:
Epson Australia - Epson Epson Stylus C110

and then i wonder about iron-on vs using a heat press and then which one???
Here's a good recent thread about using an iron with heat transfers and why it's better to use a heat press for professional results:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t58697.html

Here are great threads that talk specifically about which heat press to buy:

which heat press related topics at T-Shirt Forums

Aim is to get better tshirts than we get here in Aus for about $5each imported ... thinking that would like to prob get good Cotton t's imported from USA (any recomendations again??) .
There are several articles here that discuss where to buy wholesale blank t-shirts in australia here. Here's a couple:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t6588.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t1605.html

More good info here: australia related topics at T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
24 Posts
The epson line is usually recommended. I think it's called C110 in Australia
After a couple of weeks looking on this forum and contacting epson I discovered that the C87+ ive been looking for is no longer available and has been replaced by the C110.
After 2 hours of phone calls to suppliers ive discovered that the C110 is also no longer available. Does anyone know what model has replaced the C110 in aus?
The new stylus office seems to be similar:
Epson Australia - Epson Epson Stylus Office T40W
but ive contacted epson about it and they only say that 'they wouldnt recommend it for printing tshirt transfers.'

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for the help acetate
Think ill go get one then, will post back how it goes. I guess the jet papers are the best recommended for these inks then?
what printer/papers do u use acetate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use an Epson R230 with bulk tanks. This model is cheap as, so if it has to kark it after a while, it's no big loss. I also use an Epson RX630 with refillable cartridges and US ink, which has been good so far.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Where abouts in Australia are you Kate? We have a small (very!) group from the forum in Adleiade who also meet up for coffee every couple of weeks and share info as well as help each other out, (sometimes on a "commercial" basis and other times just as friends.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a couple of weeks looking on this forum and contacting epson I discovered that the C87+ ive been looking for is no longer available and has been replaced by the C110.
After 2 hours of phone calls to suppliers ive discovered that the C110 is also no longer available.
I was putting photos in at an electronics store on the weekend, and while waiting decided to see how much they had the T40W for, to find that they had the last C110 in the state.
how lucky, after all that!
Thanks for the replies:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, are you guys using any specific type of ink?

I have an Epson D92 and see I can buy a bulk ink system for it, however I need to know which type of ink I need?

Do I need pigment dye/ink, or can I use standard ink and the transfer paper does the rest?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank God for the Aussies. I have done my head in over the past few days poring over this site, trying to find out which printer to buy. Then when I typed in stylus WHAM, Aussies! I get it now. It's called a stylus over here. Nice name; very stylish.

Anyway, a good printer seems to be the epson workforce 1100 coz u can print A3 size and bigger and that's what I was looking for, however it's called an 1100(T) in Oz and they're about $319-$450. I can't afford that at the moment so I'm going with the T30-40-or 50.

So thanks for the info guys.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just found a T110 at BigW for 68 bucks. Think I'll buy it tomorrow. The only thing I'm worried about is that the T40W has more jets. I assume this equates to better quality. Does anyone know if this makes much of a difference?

I'm doing complex multi-coloured transfers so I want the best quality I can get for the price.

Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts