T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to do Eco friendly water based inks for a line of eco friendlier screen prints in Canada? Also looking for more eco friendly way to burn screens with less harmful chemicals?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The most eco-friendly thing possible is to produce fewer ravenous humans :) In my case that was zero, and that was entirely intentional. So I'm with you in spirit to do good, or at least less harm.

Using bamboo or hemp, rather than cotton or poly, might be the most significant thing along those lines you could do.

In terms of inks ... all inks, water base or Plastisol, as well as the stuff needed to use them, are supported by a chemical industrial complex. Short of tasking some grad student with sorting out which one is least bad, I'd advise simply using the one that produced the highest quality and longest lasting end product that is compatible with your intended use.

Myself, I like Permaset Aquo, and their SuperCover. Yes, shipped all the way from Australia. It gives great results and I've yet to wear out a print. And with Supercover I don't need an underbase, so can skip a screen.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
In a nutshell: Stop making t-shirts! :)
Not at all! If you stop making t-shirts, others will do.

Instead, make t-shirts that will last, and people can keep wearing 10+ years. You cannot get more environmentally friendly than that.
Otherwise do what everyone else does, and keep pretending what you do is "eco friendly" ;).
Personally I don't bother with the "eco-friendly" BS, as I don't think it makes any difference in my sales. I do mention the water-based inks when used, and let people assume whatever they want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts