T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking into getting a good printer for tshirt printing and button making for my daughter. I need at least an 11x17... of course 13x19 is better but cost is a big consideration. It seems many recommend an Epson of some sort, most often an Ecotank model. What are the best Epsons for the best price that use pigment based ink and at least 11x17? I guess I'd probably prefer an Ecotank in the long run if she gets really serious. Any great Black Friday deals you know of, or simply current great deals from either major stores or online sites?

Do you find that an 8.5x11 printer is a something that the average tshirt maker will always end up being unsatisfied with? Probably plenty of good deals on standard printers but I'll bet is not worth it in the end for what we want to do. I did come across the Epson ET-2800 on sale for $199. If I'm reading it correctly, says it does up to 8.5x14 which is decent, but what is anyone's opinion or experience with this model compared to other Ecotanks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking into getting a good printer for tshirt printing and button making for my daughter. I need at least an 11x17... of course 13x19 is better but cost is a big consideration. It seems many recommend an Epson of some sort, most often an Ecotank model. What are the best Epsons for the best price that use pigment based ink and at least 11x17? I guess I'd probably prefer an Ecotank in the long run if she gets really serious. Any great Black Friday deals you know of, or simply current great deals from either major stores or online sites?

Do you find that an 8.5x11 printer is a something that the average tshirt maker will always end up being unsatisfied with? Probably plenty of good deals on standard printers but I'll bet is not worth it in the end for what we want to do. I did come across the Epson ET-2800 on sale for $199. If I'm reading it correctly, says it does up to 8.5x14 which is decent, but what is anyone's opinion or experience with this model compared to other Ecotanks?
I’ve been researching the same thing. I did find an article on the PCmag website after doing a Google search for best wide format printer 2021. Here’s one review. Unfortunately it’s not an ECOTANK.

Designed for heavy-duty printing in a home or micro office, the Epson WorkForce Pro WF-7310 delivers fast speed and impressive paper handling, printing on standard sizes up to 13 by 19 inches.
Staples $199 but sold out

I ended up buying an ET-2750 at Costco it’s only does 8.5x11 and I use sublimation ink in it. I can’t say I’m 100% sold on sublimation as you’re pretty much limited to polyester. There are powders and liquid applications for 100% cotton. I haven’t tried any of them yet.
I can go on and on but I’m getting off topic.
All the best in your search.
Mike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you find yourself ever frustrated with the 8.5x11 limitation for tshirts or feel the size is generally fine for everything you print? On the official Epson site, the only ecotank that they show with bigger than 8.5x11 is the ET-15000 which can't be found anywhere unless you want to pay $800-$1000 on Amazon or the aftermarket somewhere. I mentioned the 2800 being 8.5x14 but it looks like that is just for scanning. What is the deal with it's specs saying it goes up to 8.5x47.2? IS there no Ecotank that does 11x17 or at least 8.5x11? I really want an ecotank but also really not my choice to only have 8.5x11 printing limitation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you find yourself ever frustrated with the 8.5x11 limitation for tshirts or feel the size is generally fine for everything you print? On the official Epson site, the only ecotank that they show with bigger than 8.5x11 is the ET-15000 which can't be found anywhere unless you want to pay $800-$1000 on Amazon or the aftermarket somewhere. I mentioned the 2800 being 8.5x14 but it looks like that is just for scanning. What is the deal with it's specs saying it goes up to 8.5x47.2? IS there no Ecotank that does 11x17 or at least 8.5x11? I really want an ecotank but also really not my choice to only have 8.5x11 printing limitation.
To answer your question Re: frustrating being limited by 8.5X11” = YES. Have you considered a vinyl cutting machine like Cricut ? A person can be very creative using a heat press and heat transfer vinyl. With my other Epson printer without the die Sublimation ink, I’ve been printing stickers on a glossy sticker vinyl (PPD Creative Media) from Amazon. You can use the Cricut software to upload your sticker image then send it to a normal inkjet or laser printer then use the Cricut to cut the stickers out. The Cricut machines are very versatile.
I also use a inkjet transfer paper for t-shirts from Stahls or TransferExpress. For me, this is one of the easiest and economical ways to print / cut / heat press any type of shirt or design. The transfer paper come in 8.5X11 and 11X17” I’m trying to problem solve if I can get my Cricut machine to cut out the printed designs on a 11X17” transfer vinyl?
If the design isn’t to complex, you can get away with doing simple jobs in two parts if you can print the design for e.g. 8.5X11 for the wording then another print for the artwork.
As for the description for the 8.5X47.2” my best guess is that it will print a banner on a continuous roll of inkjet paper.
If your Daughter is just starting as a hobby and this is all new to her, maybe sticking with an reasonable priced printer to make sure it’s something she enjoys doing first?
Im still learning that it’s ok to say no to certain jobs I know I can’t do and just stick to the jobs I know I can do with the equipment I have.
Sorry for the never ending response. I hope I was able to help a little.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I appreciate the response and anything you have to say. We actually have a Silhouette Cameo we played around with but haven't truly learned it yet. I think she feels drawing her art and then printing out on transfer paper to press on shirts is easier.

Let me also say this - I am not completely opposed to a cartridge printer since we are starting out and are not a volume producer, but I guess I wanted something that is more future proof. One of my main concerns is how cost effective cartridges will be. Let's say someone asked her to make 25 same shirts. If the graphic took up nearly all of an 8.5x11, about how many shirts could be make from a new set of Durabrite standards cartridges and also from a set of high capacity cartridges? I'd love to know which Epson cartridge based printers are popular for shirt making and also known to not drink ink like there's no tomorrow.

·
Administrator
15,024 Posts
Let me also say this - I am not completely opposed to a cartridge printer since we are starting out and are not a volume producer, but I guess I wanted something that is more future proof. One of my main concerns is how cost effective cartridges will be. Let's say someone asked her to make 25 same shirts. If the graphic took up nearly all of an 8.5x11, about how many shirts could be make from a new set of Durabrite standards cartridges and also from a set of high capacity cartridges? I'd love to know which Epson cartridge based printers are popular for shirt making and also known to not drink ink like there's no tomorrow.
If you went the cartridge route, you would probably want to use refillable carts and 3rd party ink. Using genuine Epson cartridges will cause you to go broke. Their ink cost is the equivalent of $5,000 a gallon.

If you were up to using refillable carts, then the Workforce 7310 is a good option. It prints up to 13X19 and many here use it, with refillable cartridges, to do dye sublimation printing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok it seems that the WF-7210 gets mentioned a lot as a go to printer... it does 13x19 correct? I'm sure you are correct, but for some reason when I searched I didn't actually see the 7310 mentioned much. I looked at a video mentioning it and they said that a big difference is that the carts for the 7210 have resettable chips but the 7310 does not. Is this fact and is it a real problem or not when using refillable carts? Here is the video:

If I buy from Cobraink, will I be able to buy carts where this is not problem? Btw, I see people mention Cobra constantly but I peeped at the site and it is very confusing. If I were to buy the 7310, do they also sell prefilled carts or just the empty carts with ink bottles or both? Can anyone give me an example/link to the exact items I would need for an 812 refillable ink cart setup? I searched 812xl and I don't even see any results on Cobra.

Is Cobra generally considered the most cost effective site for ink? Let's say I were to print out a colorful graphic that covered basically a full 8.5x11 transfer paper... typically how many shirts could I get printed up with a freshly full set of 812 carts? A set of 812xl from retail stores is about $80. How much would it be on Cobra? The 252xl are cheaper at about $55 but that is for the 7210 which maybe I wouldn't mind if I can still find it new since it is the older model and if it is just as recommended as the 7310.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still looking for recommendations, but it's looking like I am narrowing it down to either the WF-7310 or WF-7820. Is there a reason the 7210 is still so in demand and going for around $400 or more on Ebay? Is there any negative with the 7310 or 7820 compared to the 7210?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Still looking for recommendations, but it's looking like I am narrowing it down to either the WF-7310 or WF-7820. Is there a reason the 7210 is still so in demand and going for around $400 or more on Ebay? Is there any negative with the 7310 or 7820 compared to the 7210?
I have a WF7210. Works well, but 3rd-party carts are always a bit of a hassle. Epson puts those chips in the carts specifically to keep you from using anyone else's ink. If you ever make the mistake of updating your Epson printer software/driver, it will likely reject your 3rd-party carts. Epson are in a constant war with the makers of 3rd-party carts.

I believe the WF7210 is no longer made. Last I knew, the newer WF printer chips had not yet been hacked/counterfeited, but I haven't been paying close attention, as I'm not in need off another printer right now. With the advent of the EcoTank printers, I'm not sure anyone is going to go to the time and expense of hacking this next generation of Epson chips, as it is dead simple to pour any ink you want into an EcoTank, no chips, no hassle. If you buy one of the new WF printers, make sure someone makes refillable carts for it first.

I also have an ET-2720 for printing cards. Zero hassle. If starting over today from scratch, I would start with an EcoTank.

As to inks, stick with one of the better known names: Cobra, Cosmos, InkOwl. That is if you are doing sublimation. If doing pigment, might as well stick with the OEM Epson ink, as EcoTank ink is reasonably priced. That's assuming your printer's OEM ink is full pigment, some only have pigment black (yes, you could pour in pigment Epson ink, but colors would be off). Third party pigment inks would come with profiles for the printer or would be balanced correctly for it (unlike Epson ink from a different printer model).

·
Registered
38 Posts

I’m using the Epson ET-8550. It does 19 x13 and a lot of smaller sizes down 4x6. CMYK Plus gray and photo black. Just install the ink and follow the on screen directions for drivers etc. The price is up there but I didn’t want to outgrow it quickly. $699. They should be coming available. Try staples or Office Depot. Only thing is my heat press is 16x14 meaning I have to press twice to do full 19”. My knight 14 x 16 May be for sale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a WF7210. Works well, but 3rd-party carts are always a bit of a hassle. Epson puts those chips in the carts specifically to keep you from using anyone else's ink. If you ever make the mistake of updating your Epson printer software/driver, it will likely reject your 3rd-party carts. Epson are in a constant war with the makers of 3rd-party carts.

I believe the WF7210 is no longer made. Last I knew, the newer WF printer chips had not yet been hacked/counterfeited, but I haven't been paying close attention, as I'm not in need off another printer right now. With the advent of the EcoTank printers, I'm not sure anyone is going to go to the time and expense of hacking this next generation of Epson chips, as it is dead simple to pour any ink you want into an EcoTank, no chips, no hassle. If you buy one of the new WF printers, make sure someone makes refillable carts for it first.

I also have an ET-2720 for printing cards. Zero hassle. If starting over today from scratch, I would start with an EcoTank.

As to inks, stick with one of the better known names: Cobra, Cosmos, InkOwl. That is if you are doing sublimation. If doing pigment, might as well stick with the OEM Epson ink, as EcoTank ink is reasonably priced. That's assuming your printer's OEM ink is full pigment, some only have pigment black (yes, you could pour in pigment Epson ink, but colors would be off). Third party pigment inks would come with profiles for the printer or would be balanced correctly for it (unlike Epson ink from a different printer model).

OK I've been looking up the 2720 and the entire line of the latest Ecotanks that came out in September... the 2720 and the newer ones all say they do up to 8.5x14 legal. Is 8.5x14 transfer paper readily available out there because I think that size would be fine enough. The extra length down on a shirt is doable to work with. What is confusing me is that when I mentioned if the 8.5x11 limitation was a bother, strong.mike answered yes as if the limit truly was 11". Can most of these Ecotanks actually use up to 14" transfer paper in their trays? So are you personally saying you haven't had many issues with the 2720 and think it has very good print quality - i know you said it's for cards only but surely you have seen what it can do with larger prints. Also, what is the deal and how much concern over Epson's waste ink tank pad and how it can lock you out of using the printer without sending it in for a pricey servicing?

Anyone with experience/opinions on any of these?
  • EcoTank ET-2850 or ET-2760... the 2850 replaced ET-2760 but the 2760 is still available. Btw, the 2760 was rated better color accuracy than the 2750 by RTings.
  • ET-2750
  • ET-2720

Also, here is the complete new line of Ecos:
  • Epson EcoTank ET-2800 (replacing ET-2720) at $249.99
  • Epson EcoTank ET-2850 (replacing ET-2760) at $299.99
  • Epson EcoTank ET-3830 (replacing ET-3710) at $379.99
  • Epson EcoTank ET-4800 (replacing ET-4700) at $259.99
  • Epson EcoTank ET-3850 (replacing ET-3760) at $399.99
  • Epson EcoTank ET-4850 (replacing ET-4760) at $499.99

Expression ET-2750 inkpad issue
EcoTank ET-2720 paper jams/wifi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts