T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to create my own website with a shopping cart system.

I'd like to be able to change the page theme as you navigate through my site. For example I'd like to have a different background/theme for my home page with a menu for different shirt catagories. For example, I'd like to have a red white & blue theme for political shirts, some other theme for comical shirts etc.

Any recomendations? Cheaper the better of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
jdr8271 said:
I wouldnt reccomend using a program to make your website. Learn html, or hire a person to make a site for you.
I know enough html to be dangerous. Maybe there is a good html tool a noob can use?? I just don't know all the tags available.

Sara, have you use osCommerce??

·
Registered
140 Posts
CJK440 said:
I know enough html to be dangerous. Maybe there is a good html tool a noob can use?? I just don't know all the tags available.

Sara, have you use osCommerce??
Yes I have in the past. I'm going to build my t-shirt site using oscommerce. It's PHP based but not too hard to grasp if you understand html already. Theres a very active community with alot of support.

You could definitely have a good looking and functional site using oscommerce if you put a bit of effort in.

·
Registered
387 Posts
CJK440 . . . (just my 2 cents) . . if you just want to setup something quick and easy . . try Frontpage Express (normally comes with MS Office) or use Frontpage (newest version out there) --- FP is a 'what you see is what you get' type program . . no HTML knowledge is required -- however you can add to and retract from the program and once you learn 'Tables and cells" it becomes a real breeze . .

Diane

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I personally would not recommend frontpage; it tends to make a real mess of the webpage in my experience, always adding tons of extra junk increasing load times, etc.

osCommerce would work, another option is zencart - also free, and based on osCommerce. I'm using zencart on my site... we decided to go with it since it is still being actively developed, unlike osCommerce. It is pretty functional and customizeable, but you will need to work with the php to get the full customization you want. It isn't all too terribly hard to handle; since the code is already there, you are generally modifying it rather than writing it from scratch, which makes things a lot easier (I didn't know any php whatsoever beforehand).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts