T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally thinking of getting an inkjet (epson 1280), but because of some posts about printheads drying out/clogging, I think I want to look into a laser. Which hopefully I can use for more than one thing.

I don't want to get into the price range for a dye-sub set up, so it doesn't need to be dye-sub compatible. I want to be able to use the color laser printer for regular print transfers on short run garment jobs with a heat press, but still be able to use the same printer for my screen printing film positives (onto vellum) and for normal desktop publishing (brochures, etc.).

And it would also be nice to find one that will do all this in large format (11"x17")!

Is this asking too much?

Can anyone recommend such a printer?

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
hey Crystal, Don here from SC.
I am glad you asked this question. I too am looking for such an animal.
Most bigger format lasers cost a lot of money.
HP has some, but I don't know if you can run transfer paper through them.
I have a big HP 4550n and they suggested I not put transfer paper through it.
Good Luck.

PS, I use to live in Atlanta.

Taurusndixie

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a quick update for you Don,

No real luck as of yet.

I did find a Xerox Phaser 7300N that had been refurbished, but my hubby didn't like the refurbished idea. Even though it was a steal at $880, when I looked into the toner and other consumables they had way higher prices than the consumables for the Ricoh CL7200 ($250 vs. $110 for 10,000 - 15,000 prints). Almost $150 difference x 4 toner cartridges . . . OUCH!

So, for now, I am still on the hunt.

The Ricoh CL7200 and Xerox Paser 7300 have both gotten really good ratings and reviews for photo quality prints as well as BW prints. The Xerox 7300 is not made anymore. Their new model 7400 doesn't have enough reviews yet for me to compare print quality.

Both of these printers are in the $3,000 range bought new. Which is a little too expensive for me right now.

But, my conclusion, after looking at the toner cost, I think I am leaning towards a Ricoh.

If I find some at a decent price or open box discount, I'll pass the info on!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
yes the Ricoh came into the scene as the Kodak division of CLC phased out.

Your best bet may be contacting these companies and arrange to go to their show room. There you can see them in actions and the reps will try to sell you on it. :) lol just kiddin' they will answer all your questios etc.

Xerox also makes their own Xerox Transfer Papers, well, they do here in Canada.

You can also Lease to Own when you buy directly from them, this may help the budget and you may end up getting a really good new quality/model.

..just an idea or 2. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Lucy,

I really appreciate all of your responses to my posts. You have really been helping me out!

I think I might look into the lease to own option, but being a weekend/holiday I'm stuck with only being to look at the internet info. Can't talk to a real person till tomorrow. (I am excited and a little impatient - can you tell?)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
you're most welcome.

yeah, i find it exciteding too when i shop around for stuff that i can use for project ideas, and so on...

I have found that CLC works best for us because of all other stuff you can do with it. I understand that it is not for everyone.

There is some talk here in town about a New CLC tansfer paper that will print on Black shirts and No need to cut around the transfer. I will be looking into that this week since they are located past the next town line (near by).

If this is real, wow! what a break thru in Transfer Paper Media.

May be I can score a distribution deal with these guys and this could be my retirement ticket... :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lucy, please post your findings on the new CLC paper. I have not even thought of a CLC for shirt transfers, may be something worth looking into before I buy.

Thanks a bunch !

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
taurusndixie said:
Lucy, please post your findings on the new CLC paper. I have not even thought of a CLC for shirt transfers, may be something worth looking into before I buy.

Thanks a bunch !
hi Don, below is a copy/past from another thread.
This was the first I seen relating to the New Paper.

I will be checking it out too in the near future.

Hi Guys,

There is a new product coming out from
www.autoart.ca that is amazing. You can virtually use just about any color laser printer and the results which i have seen first hand are equal to that of sublimation - no joke !

This new paper does not leave virtually ' no hand ' nor does any trimming need to be done around your image transfer. No visiable polymer can be seen...

I was testing this paper also with my sublimation set up and a high realease paper and was able to print on 100 % cotton with the same results...

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Lucy

Great news, sublimation on 100% cotton, that should be a big boom in the Sublimation world.

That will make one restriction less from all that we have with the sublimation transfer.

James

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
matrixdecals said:
Hi Lucy

Great news, sublimation on 100% cotton, that should be a big boom in the Sublimation world.

That will make one restriction less from all that we have with the sublimation transfer.

James
yeah, Im curious to check this out too.
My boss Talked to Ken (Kent the owner of the company, they are down the street from us, Kent has been inovating digital transfer paper media for a long time and his products are well known in the imprint industry) and we should be getting samples within a month.
They are working on some final details before they release the goods to the market/purchase.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I know you are all tired of reading about this printer stuff, but I'm still looking!

Now, I am thinking of getting a tabloid BW laser printer (for my film) & a regular size color laser printer.

Was wondering if anyone uses or has an opinion on these two color laser printers . . . Or if you know of another I should be looking at?

Konica Minolta MAGICOLOR 2430DL $416 vs. Ricoh CL2000N $599

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Swannn, you can also look into the okidata laser printer.
I know that coastle business is selling the printer and you can
ask them questions on transfer paper wich they also sell.The auto art paper for dark is still being tested. It works by a two step process and you will need two laser printers for this paper.
I do like the light color paper the only thing is you have to test on scrap fabric several times to find the perfect setting on your printer press and timing.It is a good paper can't wait for the dark samples to arrive when it is ready.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use my works Docu Color 242, it does a great job and it has a setting for transfer papers! I would look into leasing one from a printer company. They will usually work in all your consumables/inks into the cost. I've had real good luck even with xerox transfer paper! Nuts!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts