T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looking to start a small sublimation printing project of my own. I am on a bit of a budget, $600-$800 giver or take, but it doesn't seem like that will be to much of an issue thus far.

Currently I'm looking at printing to a mouse pad material with the current maximum size being around 12x12.

So based on that I'm looking at an Epson Workforce 7510 (since it can print up to 13x19) and is relatively inexpensive.

As for heat press it sounds like I'll need at least a 15x15.

Lastly I was going to go with refillable cartridges and save a continuous ink setup for a future printer.

So does the above sound like it would do the trick or is anyone able to make any better recommendations or point out something I'm missing.

· Registered
825 Posts
So I looking to start a small sublimation printing project of my own. I am on a bit of a budget, $600-$800 giver or take, but it doesn't seem like that will be to much of an issue thus far.

Currently I'm looking at printing to a mouse pad material with the current maximum size being around 12x12.

So based on that I'm looking at an Epson Workforce 7510 (since it can print up to 13x19) and is relatively inexpensive.

As for heat press it sounds like I'll need at least a 15x15.

Lastly I was going to go with refillable cartridges and save a continuous ink setup for a future printer.

So does the above sound like it would do the trick or is anyone able to make any better recommendations or point out something I'm missing.
Whats about ink?

CalhTech>

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Dont think you can do all that for that amount of money unless you buy very poor quality equipment.
I think that's completely untrue:

Printer $180
Cis $100
Pro-world Press $300 (with extra supplies)

$580 TOTAL.

Then you need ink and paper. Budget is $600 to $800

What's the issue? A heat press is just a pad that gets hot. As long as the heating element gives consistent heat over the print area, you're all good.

My press works like a dream and pro-world stand by their customer service. I have pressure adjustment, heat adjustment on a stat and a countdown timer. Sub and vinyl prints come out perfect.

I made all my money back on my first orders and I still have a bunch of vinyl left over for more shirts.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all. Yeah I won't admit I'm getting the best equipment, but I'm trying to at least sticking to fairly well reviewed brands/products. Avoiding the super cheap no name presses and what not.

I've been doing a fair amount of reading on the various inks available, but I admit I haven't settled on any one brand as of yet.

Though it's been brought to my attention maybe I should consider out sourcing their printing portion of the job to a 3rd party. Anyone who's had experience in that area have any thoughts for how thats worked out when starting up?

· Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. Yeah I won't admit I'm getting the best equipment, but I'm trying to at least sticking to fairly well reviewed brands/products. Avoiding the super cheap no name presses and what not.

I've been doing a fair amount of reading on the various inks available, but I admit I haven't settled on any one brand as of yet.

Though it's been brought to my attention maybe I should consider out sourcing their printing portion of the job to a 3rd party. Anyone who's had experience in that area have any thoughts for how thats worked out when starting up?
If you add SAWGRASS ink to this equation, your budget is busted! So again I say, What Ink?

· Registered
2,105 Posts
There's plenty of other inks that people use.

The Sawgrass patent ends in 3 months, too. So the market will be wide open and the other manufacturers or suppliers will openly be able to advertise at the market price.

· Registered
343 Posts
I have the Epson Artisan 1430 the lowest cost 13 inch printer that works good and refill system and inks and all that cost over $500 just for that.
Then if you go with a $300 press is that including shipping cost. I use 2 knight presses that cost over $1000 each so i have never used a lower cost brand.
So now you are at $800 and still need a lot of supplys
Paper and blanks, Teflon sheet and other sub items you should be using.

I would say with a lower cost press you will end up spending around $1200 to get everything you need thats if you all ready have software for designing everything.

Otherwise add in another $500 for that

I think that's completely untrue:

Printer $180
Cis $100
Pro-world Press $300 (with extra supplies)

$580 TOTAL.

Then you need ink and paper. Budget is $600 to $800

What's the issue? A heat press is just a pad that gets hot. As long as the heating element gives consistent heat over the print area, you're all good.

My press works like a dream and pro-world stand by their customer service. I have pressure adjustment, heat adjustment on a stat and a countdown timer. Sub and vinyl prints come out perfect.

I made all my money back on my first orders and I still have a bunch of vinyl left over for more shirts.

· Registered
825 Posts
There's plenty of other inks that people use.

The Sawgrass patent ends in 3 months, too. So the market will be wide open and the other manufacturers or suppliers will openly be able to advertise at the market price.
Yea that's what I keep reading, but I never heard the OP say (or a $ figure and supplier mentioned by any of the respondents) what he has factored in to his 800.00 sublimation budget for INK. Inquiring minds want to know :)

· Registered
2,105 Posts
I never mentioned any suppliers because I don't want to incriminate them or infer that they do or do not supply ink anymore.

I think individuals should just do their own research and contact suppliers themselves where situations like these have come about. I'll certainly not be posting on a public forum whether I am or am not getting ink from any of the suppliers that can be found with a very simple google search.

Perhaps this is a situation where a pm of an ink supplier would have been more appropriate.

· Registered
6,579 Posts
I never mentioned any suppliers because I don't want to incriminate them or infer that they do or do not supply ink anymore.

I think individuals should just do their own research and contact suppliers themselves where situations like these have come about. I'll certainly not be posting on a public forum whether I am or am not getting ink from any of the suppliers that can be found with a very simple google search.

Perhaps this is a situation where a pm of an ink supplier would have been more appropriate.

Agree that all should research. However, about incrimination, you don't know the "inside baseball". No nuclear secrets have been revealed here. ;)

· Registered
53 Posts
Hi, I just started the learning process with my new equipment (which I got from the help of the forums and Coastal business).

The only advice I can give as a new user, who had no clue on sublimation, is to save the money and get a heat press that has a pressure sensor. I would of never of gotten the right pressure on the heat press.

All my sublimation test samples have been made without mistakes and its all thanks to the sensor. Will start selling in no time.

"Its easier and faster to drive automatic and get out to the streets than drive a stick and spend days in the parking lot trying to learn first gear."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.