T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start off by saying I know very little about heat pressing. However, I was showing at a trade show last year and saw some shirts that were all supposed to be transfers, that looked pretty good. I put a lot of work into design and some of my shirts have over five different screens. This is getting too expensive, especially when it comes to small orders. I am thinking about looking into heat pressing and wanted some advice. I want are really high quality printing look that is still soft. Is that possible? Are there any manufactures that would keep 10-60 designs and print to order? I am looking for a more cost effective way of growing my business but don't want to sacrifice quality. There is digital printing as well, but I am not sure if that is cost effective on small quantities. Another thing with my designs is that most are hand illustrated and colored, so they are not layers and I am paying a lot to have the colors separated for screen printing.

I would love to touch base with someone who could give me some solid professional advice.

Cheers,

Rob
Founder of Bondi Buddha - find your truth!
See shirts at Bondi Buddha | Facebook

· Administrator
18,442 Posts
The heat press is not your biggest worry. It's the transfers. What kind of transfers were they that you saw at the trade show.

The best quality transfers are plastisol. They are printed using the same method you use now to screen your shirts. But they are not necessarily cheaper to make as the printer will still need to do the same number of screens as you have now.

As far as heat presses, the top 3 are Stahls, Hix, and George Knight. But depending on how many pressings you'll be doing, a lesser press press will also be fine for you.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for that. I thought someone told me at the show that the transfers were water based ink I thought, not plastisol. I don't like plastisol as I don't like to feel the ink on the shirt. I want a high quality result. It might be more cost effective, even if it's a little more expensive, since I can produce in smaller quantities. I don't want to do this myself. I am looking for a company that offers a total solution. Perhaps even digital printing.

· Registered
17 Posts
Most transfers are plastisol based. However, CLC or inkjet are acceptable for some customers depending on the quality level and longevity of the garment they are expecting. DTG has it's place as well, especially if you are doing one off garments.

In my opinion, the quality of the heat press is very important. You do not want to buy expensive transfers and garments then bond them with a cheap machine with inconsistent heat. Cheap machines tend to wear out and the platents tend to have uneven pressure and heat. You will be thankful in the long run for buying a good machine at the very start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.